HED Jet 6+ or Bontrager Aeolus 5 DR

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pmdd72

by pmdd72

I'm looking for some input to help make a decision between a new set of HED Jet 6+ or Bontrager Aeolus 5 D3 wheels. I've never ridden or raced carbon wheels, so hopefully I can get some good input here.

With holiday specials I can get both sets for a good price, but the HEDs are about $475 less. I also like the fact they have an alloy brake track so I won't have to change brake pads from my HED Ardennes wheels. Plus, I live in Florida where it rains all the time so alloy brake tracks should help.

I race mostly Pro I/II crits where the races are mostly flat and more than a few have brick roads thrown in the mix. From what I've read neither wheel set is overly stiff, but obviously I want the best handling pair along with the aero benefits. I'm also concerned with which wheels will best suit my riding characteristics..strong jumps and sprinting tends to be my strong points (1530 w 5 sec).

Another similarly priced option would be the HED JET 6+/9+ combo...

Any feedback or help is greatly appreciated!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

joepac

by joepac

Aeolus 5. They are gonna be a lot stiffer. The carbon on the Jet 6+ is just a fairing, so the spokes are connecting to basically an wide box section aluminum rim. Aluminum rims are not as stiff as deeper carbon rims, in my experience.

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

I use an Aeolus 3 front and 5 rear. Terrain is hilly and can be quite windy here, so this setup suits me very well. Fantastic for sprinting!

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

i have aeolus 5 and they are illest

RustySpokes

by RustySpokes

I love my HED Jet 6's awesome wheels, fast, great hubs. If you're happy with your Ardennes you will be very happy with the Jet 6's.
It never gets easier, you just go faster.

cfrankscid

by cfrankscid

backcountry is having a sale on jet6+s right now for 899 for the wheelset. If you use activejunky and get 12% cash back, that comes out to about 820 bucks shipped for a full wheelset.

I'm in no way affiliated with either of these companies - just wanted to flag that as a fantastic deal which may swing you towards the Jets.

mariovalentim

by mariovalentim

I'm heavy and I love my hed ardennes wheelset, never felt noodly and I am a track sprinter so I can put some good watts on all out efforts. Mine has 20/28 spokes tho.

pmdd72

by pmdd72

Thanks for the feedback. I ended up going with the HED Jet 6+ based on these opinions and some feedback from some local racers that use them.

Initially I put 23 Conti GP4000sII on, but my Parlee Z5 is not wide rear wheel friendly (despite coming with the HED Ardennes plus wheels - go figure), and the Conti's were just too wide in the back. I switched to the new S-Works 22's and they seem to be fine clearance-wise, but also fast when paired with the Jets according to this:

http://bikeblather.blogspot.sk/2015/10/ ... art-1.html

That said, I'm somewhat surprised how much I can feel the extra heft moving these things up to speed and while accelerating up hill. On paper it's only 163 gm wheel set difference -- just barely over 1/3 pound -- but they feel heavier. I'm hoping I get used to it and the aero/speed advantage more than makes up for my initial perceptions.

As mentioned in my original post I have never ridden carbon wheels before so it's interesting to see how "alive" the front wheel comes under strong winds. Nothing unmanageable...just noticeable.

On the plus side they sound pretty cool.

Thanks for all the feedback and especially to cfrankscid. I had just received them from Competitive Cyclist (same company as Backcountry) when I saw your post. I had already gotten a good deal, but with your info I was able to get $170 back. Thanks!

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Anyone ridden the Jet 6+ Black? Any difference to the 6+ ?

mariovalentim

by mariovalentim

Tinea Pedis wrote:Anyone ridden the Jet 6+ Black? Any difference to the 6+ ?

Nope, just the brake surface treatment.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

No issues with stiffness?