Best tool for installing Campagnolo UT 86.5,41mm BB into....

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

laspariahs

by laspariahs

I've been looking around for tools to install this bottombracket: Campagnolo Ultra-Torque Cups 86.5x41 Integrated into a colnago C60 frameset.

Any opinions on the best tool? I've come across this: http://enduroforkseals.com/id414.html and it looks good, but will this one work?

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Looks OK. The Campy instructions show using the same tool for any of their UT pressed-in cups. Not sure that link shows the cheapest decent option. Check Park Tool also. Others may have better ideas.

http://www.campagnolo.com/media/files/035_311_User_manual_bottom%20bracket%20cup_ultra_torque_osfit_Campagnolo_12_2013.pdf
Last edited by bikerjulio on Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

mariovalentim

by mariovalentim

The enduro kit is brilliant because the removal process doesn't require any sort of tapping

maverick_1

by maverick_1

I'm looking for a similar tool as well, but having doubts if the Enduro tool may actually work as intended on Campy pressed-fit cups?
Trying to get something which can perform both jobs, both installation and removal of the pressed-fit cups without the need for tapping as per Park Tool's method. I believe my LBS uses an extractor sort of tool from Cyclus, though it only works on extracting the pressed-in cups.
Any better tools out there?

http://www.bike24.com/p243930.html

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

That Enduro one looks good ... I thought PF86 was the same as PF92.

laspariahs

by laspariahs

Has anyone used the Enduro tool on a campy BB? Would love to hear some first hand experience...

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

We use the Campag tool (as you might expect) and have had zero problem.

We have made up an internal tool for pressing the cups out from the inside for removal - it's always better to progressively apply force than to rely on impact for splitting pressed components apart. If the cups are internally pressed out, there is no risk of damaging the outside of the frame. Having said that, one cup will usually be "popped" out more easily than the other so either a puller, bearing on the outside of the frame, or impact may be needed on the more firmly-seated cup.

Please also check the advice offered by Campagnolo on bonding press fit adaptors into place - they recommend the use of Loctite 603, 609 or 641, with 7649 activator. Absence of bonding in many cases leads to noise.
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

Valbrona

by Valbrona

Whenever I have pressed in cups I have done so with a Park headset press and without any type of guide bushing(s). I have always done one cup at a time so as to use the straight edge of the BB shell to work up against. Not sure what I am missing out on by not using bushings.

maverick_1

by maverick_1

@graeme,
Are there any plans for Campy to release special tools to remove the pressed-fit bb cups?
As what you just mentioned, something which allows the cups to be "pressed out internally".

Cheers

highdraw

by highdraw

graeme_f_k wrote:We use the Campag tool (as you might expect) and have had zero problem.

We have made up an internal tool for pressing the cups out from the inside for removal - it's always better to progressively apply force than to rely on impact for splitting pressed components apart. If the cups are internally pressed out, there is no risk of damaging the outside of the frame. Having said that, one cup will usually be "popped" out more easily than the other so either a puller, bearing on the outside of the frame, or impact may be needed on the more firmly-seated cup.

Please also check the advice offered by Campagnolo on bonding press fit adaptors into place - they recommend the use of Loctite 603, 609 or 641, with 7649 activator. Absence of bonding in many cases leads to noise.

Graeme is brilliant about Campagnolo, a credit to the sport and an amazing resource and the man I turn to and have for difficult to solve Campy issues...in fact just did a couple of months ago for a new Fulcrum rear wheel freehub spring failure. Thanks again Graeme. Btw, Graeme there was recently an identical failure among one of the best riders at my club...same new Fulcrums. Onesy's in nature as it turns out are rare as you know...so there maybe an issue with the spring metallurgy for these particular wheels.

I will take one slight exception to what he wrote. Staccato force trumps dull slow press for removing press fit bushings and bearings. The reason is dull force places greater...yes greater shear stress on the adhesion of the substrate alloy cup to the BB carbon shell. Time aka slower extrusion as it turns out is the enemy of stress not speed. Will give you guys an analogy. Some of you have seen the magic trick of pulling a tablecloth off of a table with plates and utensils. It doesn't turn out well slow FWIW. This is whole predicate of air impact tools. They are much more effective for removing bolts with 'less' assault i.e. spikes in stress/strain for removing fasteners compared to dull force. So tap, tap, tap around the periphery of bearings/bushings is the least invasive method of removing bearings/bushings as it places less stress on the underlying alloy cup to BB carbon shell bond.

Valbrona

by Valbrona

I think you use the greatest tool you have when removing cups - common sense.

If we are talking a cup bonded into a carbon BB shell, then you would by default use impacts. But in the case of a metal/metal interference fit, like with metal BB30 adapters in a metal BB30 shell, then common sense would suggest that a 'slow pull' extraction is the option least likely to damage the tolerances of the BB shell.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Damn......another bag of popcorn ready to go.......

highdraw

by highdraw

Valbrona wrote:I think you use the greatest tool you have when removing cups - common sense.

If we are talking a cup bonded into a carbon BB shell, then you would by default use impacts. But in the case of a metal/metal interference fit, like with metal BB30 adapters in a metal BB30 shell, then common sense would suggest that a 'slow pull' extraction is the option least likely to damage the tolerances of the BB shell.

Sorry but what you wrote isn't right.
Slow pull is the worst method to extract bearings from BB30. Staccato tapping around the bearing periphery is preferred. You need to broaden your thinking and understand the stresses with a BB30 bottom bracket. What is the biggest potential failure mode of BB30? You may not know so will respond. BB30 as an industry standard...the vast majority are insert mold/bond via a machined alloy sleeve with machined inset cups/bores...bonded to a standard BB carbon shell. What is problematic about dull pull or push force? Shear stress on this sleeve that wants to press the 'BB30 sleeve' out of a carbon shell.
Best way to avert this scenario? Staccato force. Tap, tap, tap around the periphery of a bearing and pop...out they come. No assault to the bottom bracket aka the BB30 sleeve bonded to the carbon shell.
Hope that helps.
Last edited by highdraw on Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

laspariahs

by laspariahs

Well for what it's worth I just ordered the campy tool, if/when I take it out I'll just deal with that at that point I guess.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com