Power2max type s and rotor 3DF crankset or Rotor INPOWER

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TomColnago

by TomColnago

Hi guys I'm thinking of buying a power meter and since this will be my first power meter I was hoping some people could give me some advice.
I have two options which are the rotor inpower and the power2max type s spider because I only want to upgrade my current rotor 3DF crank rather than buy a new one.
would be using a garmin 500 head unit.
Any information or advice would be appreciated :D

mariovalentim

by mariovalentim

I would go for the p2m because the Inpower will only measure your left leg and double the value, p2m measures power at the spider which they say they can guestimate when the power is coming from the left and when it's coming from the right leg, this is the same type of estimation that quarq and srm does. It's not the same as true left/right power measurement but it's better than only left leg.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TomColnago

by TomColnago

I am leaning more towards the p2m because there both in the same region price wise but the p2m seems to offer more like you said with both leg measurement. also stupid question because the power meters measure your cadence does my garmin 500 measure speed through gps if i remove my speed/cadence meter?

rainerhq

by rainerhq

Yep.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

KTCY

by KTCY

p2m my vote.

jeffy

by jeffy

P2m Rotor. No Question.

srshaw

by srshaw

I think both options are similarly priced so the p2max is easily the best option. It measures total power rather than just left leg only.

Kongbop

by Kongbop

Prefer p2m! Inpower is only for left leg

calvin

by calvin

+1 for P2M
FXKalvis15 code at @montonsports

BONJUNGU

by BONJUNGU

p2m my vote.

lewolive

by lewolive

Hi guys,

I know by heart my Rotor Inpower as I've been using it for now 6 months. I'm still looking for just one wrong data or issue and don't find anything.

The power balance seems to be necessary to a majority of customers. But I'm really wondering why ? Are we all professional athletes who need a precision of 1% ?

I honnestly think that the Rotor Inpower is not precise for efforts under 5s. I think it becomes very precise after 10s, even at full power like 1000W...
Most of us are looking for longer duration efforts, like 3-10mn or even 20mn. In that case the duration of each sequence of training is at least 15s !

So, when I train on steep hills in the forest, I can make sure that for example if I climb at 20km/h average for 5mn and 400W, the next ride, at the same speed I'll have 403 or 395W for example, not 360 or 430W ! At the end, the product looks like a dream to use because I've ultra smooth 41/30 ceramic bearings, the design for 3d+ Inpower is fabulous (almost invisible powermeter !), stiffness and weight are better than Dura Ace over 1000W and data transmission is easy to my old Garmin Edge 500.

As I don't know P2M, I just would like to know what are the advantages over Rotor Inpower...

AndreLM

by AndreLM

P2M measures the power generated by both of your legs. Rotor measures only your left, and multiplies by 2.

With the InPower or with the Stages, if you have an imbalance, your power results could be lower or higher. And remember that the imbalance can vary depending of your power output, your position on the bike, so it is not guaranteed to be always the same.

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

I'm not saying your review is false but your shop is a Rotor retailer so I'll take it with a grain of salt

lewolive

by lewolive

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez wrote:I'm not saying your review is false but your shop is a Rotor retailer so I'll take it with a grain of salt

The job of a serious shop is not to sell a brand and say "everything is awesome, buy everything !"
No, the job is serious when you give the serious advantages and serious drawbacks of the products that you sell. That's why I ask the feedback of P2M. When you give a bad advice it ruins your reputation.

On Rotor we have serious problems with BB, almost all of them except Sabb that are partly good. I don't hide the problem. But seriously, on Rotor Inpower you'll find a lot of reviews saying the same thing. The biggest drawback on Inpower is really the 30mm spindle. I think this product would really deserve a 24mm spindle to make it more accessible to a large public.

On the balance, if you have serious problems with not consistent data, it's a problem with using Rotor Inpower. If you know that you are all the time at 52/48 or 51/49, your Inpower will compare with the same way different rides and that's the goal of a powermeter, not to compare at 1-2% to Chris Froome.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mario Jr.

by Mario Jr.

I can only say that I can echo lewolive's review. I have both a Rotor (dual) Power and the INpower now since May on my two bikes. I know that I have a more or less even output on my legs and the readings from the two are so similar that I can't seperate them when analyzing the files. Selling both models, I can say that I would not buy a Power myself again, as the INpower is just as accurate, lighter, a lot cheaper, looks better and is the most stable powermeter I have ever had. No spiking or anything. Just a very good product. A bit of a problem, really, as it's not easy to sell the dual Power's anymore...
That is uses AA batteries and has the nice thread analyzing ability, is just a bonus.