Velonews Tire Test

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BrianAllan

by BrianAllan

http://velonews.competitor.com/where-th ... tires-fast

Did anyone else find it frustrating that they didn't bother to test a single tubular, and that they didn't test a butyl tube in any of the higher end clinchers?

It's almost a useful test, almost.

Considering the vast majority of racers that care about 5 watts are running tubulars, it's a pretty idiotic omission. But as my friend pointed out, "who reads Velonews?" :noidea:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

helldiver

by helldiver

It's a shame, but on the other hand, better then including tubulars "glued" with tufo tape or 5 layers of mastik and then concluding that they have inferior CRR to most clinchers...

Denavelo

by Denavelo

I've been hearing that the Sworks Turbo cotton is actually really good and durable.
A really good friend has been running them and says he hasn't ridden anything like them.
I just wish I could find them for cheaper than what they sell for. $80-100/tire costs more than my A4 wagon tires.
I'm more intrigued by the Bontrager Latex tubes.
Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite

rmerka

by rmerka

Interesting valve length on the Bontrager latex...wonder if they're pink...

joepac

by joepac

BrianAllan wrote:http://velonews.competitor.com/where-the-rubber-meets-the-road-what-makes-cycling-tires-fast

Did anyone else find it frustrating that they didn't bother to test a single tubular, and that they didn't test a butyl tube in any of the higher end clinchers?

It's almost a useful test, almost.

Considering the vast majority of racers that care about 5 watts are running tubulars, it's a pretty idiotic omission. But as my friend pointed out, "who reads Velonews?" :noidea:

The best example of why this is so annoying: The turbo pro was conveniently tested with a butyl tube while the sworks turbo was tested with latex... I bet they are really close in performance when they both have latex tubes. Like if it's a 1-2 watt difference why not save $20 and just buy the pros. What a coincidence :lol:

Like you said "almost." This is why conditions are all the same and all variables possible are eliminated/reduced except the one you are testing in rigorous scientific studies...

But give them credit, they are still a step above the blatant advertising/repeating of marketing terms in Peloton "reviews." :roll:

BrianAllan

by BrianAllan

Just caught that. Attention everyone, duplicate thread!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Shutting this one down. Please continue in the other thread.
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.