Sram Red etap vs Shimano Di2....

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

muntos wrote:DI2 setup is very easy, is not rocket science! Setup once and forget. And for people that like and enjoy to build their own bikes this DI2 setup is a part of this pleasure :)
What I really love about DI2 and one of the reasons I wouldn't switch to eTap is the D-fly + Dura Ace shifters + Garmin Edge combo that allows you to control your Edge directly from the hoods! Beat this SRAM :D !

Yeah, I really like this, too. So much that on bike #2 I went Ultegra Di2 but upgraded the shifters to DA to get this feature like I have on DA Di2 bike #1.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

muntos wrote:DI2 setup is very easy, is not rocket science! Setup once and forget. And for people that like and enjoy to build their own bikes this DI2 setup is a part of this pleasure :)
What I really love about DI2 and one of the reasons I wouldn't switch to eTap is the D-fly + Dura Ace shifters + Garmin Edge combo that allows you to control your Edge directly from the hoods! Beat this SRAM :D !

:roll:

Uhhh... eTap just came out.
Di2 has been out for how many years, now?
And how long did it take for the D-Fly + DA Shifters + Garmin edge combo to actually be available and work? Yeah?

So... by logic.... I shouldn't have to spell this out for you, should I? You're smart enough, you can see where the maths and logic will go.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

muntos

by muntos

prendrefeu wrote:

:roll:

Uhhh... eTap just came out.
Di2 has been out for how many years, now?
And how long did it take for the D-Fly + DA Shifters + Garmin edge combo to actually be available and work? Yeah?

So... by logic.... I shouldn't have to spell this out for you, should I? You're smart enough, you can see where the maths and logic will go.

I get your point, but the discussion is about DI2 vs eTap as they are NOW not how it's gonna be in 6-18 months. I said what and why I prefer one of these 2 in this moment, I might change my opinion later when Sram adds new features...
And in the end it's not my fault that Sram waited so long to come with an alternative to Di2 ;-)

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

If you're so adamant on the speed and ease to install Di2, record it and pop it on here. We'll time you.

Then we'll time someone equally as skilled in eTap and see who wins. I maintain it's not an 'apples to apples' comparison battle between the two groups. But by your own standards I'd like to see the results. I know which groupset my money is on.

benzebub

by benzebub

I'll keep track of this thread the coming year. Already planning for a new bike for next year and groupset will be dura ace DI2 or Red eTap.
had the chance to grab some eTap levers at a bike shop yesterday and liked the ergonomics, but dura ace di2 isn't bad either. I loved the tactile feel of the eTap shifters vs di2.

I'm planning on putting disc brakes on the new bike so I'm hoping for new hydro dura ace levers to be announced, as well as eTap hydro.
But I could be wrong

mrlobber

by mrlobber

I happened to be one of Di2 early adopters in 2010... and I still run 7970 on two bikes, and except one dead battery (from Ebay) never had any problems. The same with 9070 although I do feel that Shimano internal batteries are drained significantly more quickly than the Ebay "generic" ones and somehow the 7970 still feels "more solid" to me over 9070 (probably just in my head though).

That said, only the first group was bought new (honestly, for a price I'd never pay today :evil: :D), all the others - used (or even assembled from individual parts all over ebay/forums), but again, did not experience significant issues because of it.

Would I choose the eTap today? Wireless is really nice but unless I could migrate all the fleet to SRAM, I don't feel the necessity to relearn different shifting patterns each two days (plus the spare parts bin in case of emergency) :D
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

muntos

by muntos

Tinea Pedis wrote:If you're so adamant on the speed and ease to install Di2, record it and pop it on here. We'll time you.

Then we'll time someone equally as skilled in eTap and see who wins. I maintain it's not an 'apples to apples' comparison battle between the two groups. But by your own standards I'd like to see the results. I know which groupset my money is on.

Who said that installing DI2 is quicker than installing eTap ...?

salesguy

by salesguy

If you have a modern Di2 ready frameset, we are talking a few minutes here. Immaterial.

If you have an older frame that is not, then I can see the advantage of Etap at least from an install standpoint.

I'll take shimano smoothness and reliability any day. I'm on my 4th Di2 bike. Loved them all.

bearsdidit
Shop Owner

by bearsdidit

mrlobber wrote:I happened to be one of Di2 early adopters in 2010... and I still run 7970 on two bikes, and except one dead battery (from Ebay) never had any problems. The same with 9070 although I do feel that Shimano internal batteries are drained significantly more quickly than the Ebay "generic" ones and somehow the 7970 still feels "more solid" to me over 9070 (probably just in my head though).

That said, only the first group was bought new (honestly, for a price I'd never pay today :evil: :D), all the others - used (or even assembled from individual parts all over ebay/forums), but again, did not experience significant issues because of it.

Would I choose the eTap today? Wireless is really nice but unless I could migrate all the fleet to SRAM, I don't feel the necessity to relearn different shifting patterns each two days (plus the spare parts bin in case of emergency) :D

Coming from Shimano for the last 10+ years, it took two minutes to "learn" etap. In fact, I really like the new shifting configuration.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Well, the learning might indeed be insignificant, but the spare parts bin not so much ;) (that's in my particular situation; with a single bike, probably no difference).
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

muntos wrote:
Tinea Pedis wrote:If you're so adamant on the speed and ease to install Di2, record it and pop it on here. We'll time you.

You're right. And I should have taken my own advice and not cared less if you think Di2 is easier, quicker or whatever to install. Not here to change your mind. Enjoy Di2.

muntos

by muntos

Tinea Pedis wrote:
muntos wrote:

You're right. And I should have taken my own advice and not cared less if you think Di2 is easier, quicker or whatever to install. Not here to change your mind. Enjoy Di2.

I'm not sure you understood me right, I'm 100% sure that installing eTap is like walking in the park comparing to installing Di2, what I said is that I don't really care if installing a Di2 takes me 1 hour or 5 hours, is a part of the joy and fun of setting your own bike.
And let's be serious, how cares in the end how long it takes to install one or other, is not like you just got your new groupset and in the next 30 minutes you need to go out with your buddies for a granfondo.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Ease of installation isn't 'the' selling point, but rather indicative of how simple to use the entire wireless groupset is. It's not (install speed) a stand alone aspect but rather part of the bigger picture. Which having had Di2, I appreciate is a significant step up.

And whilst I might not be installing a new groupset every other day, I still don't want to spend hours upon hours either myself (or paying a mechanic) to install an electronic groupset when I get a TT bike. Which is pretty much an annual occurrence for me.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

For a racer who may need to get a new frame after a crash, eTap has a superior advantage. Or even an athlete who swaps frames often (be they racer, product reviewer, someone with a lot of frames/time, retirees, manic-depressives, the indecisives, OCDs, etc:.)

Quite literally just press a button and that's it. No cables to route, no cable lengths to get right. ... perfect, really.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

eTap would be great for an S&S coupled travel bike. You would still have the brake cables to split but no derailleur cables.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com