Sram Red etap vs Shimano Di2....

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sharkman

by sharkman

The setup for a travel bike might be ideal but going abroad and use it is a no go.
You'll need all parts double to service it in case something goes wrong. Even in Europe finding the needed di2 parts can be a challenge
doing the same for etap or eps is and will be useless.
Bit of a pity but Etap will remain nice for owners that have a second bike or a spare groupset available.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

If you need parts and are stuck, you can order online from Wiggle, Ribble, Starbike, etc and get overnight ($$$) shipment. Or in the States, Competitive Cyclist, Amazon, Fairwheel, etc.

jamiejmuk

by jamiejmuk

I am a very casual rider, 10 mile each way commute through London and a 40 to 60 mile leisure ride on the weekend if it isn't raining. I started with a second hand Mafiabikes TR6 a while ago and have been upgrading ever since changing every part, including the frame, at least twice.

I have fancied electronic shifting for a while but my current, titanium, frame can't take internal Di2 so I thought it would never happen. Last year I "downgraded" from Ultegra 6700 to 105 5800 and loved the improved shifting.

Two weeks ago I got a notification that an on-line shop had the SRAM eTap upgrade kit in stock and ordered the kit straight away.

If there was an award for the most over the top packaging then SRAM wins hands down.

Installation was a cinch, I know that isn't important over the lifetime of the components but it did feel good to be able to put it together so quickly.

Setting up the rear derailleur was simplicity itself. I can't comment about other electronic systems but against mechanical rears the eTap dialed in perfectly in moments.

The front set up was slightly more problematic. Firstly I have got used to shimano kit so SRAM yaw was a bit different. Then there was just about the only negative I have with the kit.

The lower limit screw was catching on the crank arm. I had positioned the mech as shown in the instructions and any adjustment I made to prevent the problem caused a problem with clearance elsewhere. In the end It only took a few moments to file the limit grub screw down.

One the plus side I used it as an excuse to upgrade my cranks to SRAM Red 22, not the eTap ones but still better than 105's.

It took a while to get used to using different hands to shift up and down and there is still the odd occasion when I forget. One thing I miss is the feedback from the levers when I have reached the last sprocket.

slimliner

by slimliner

Now, di2.
I'll wait for qualified 2-generation e-tap lol

roropopo

by roropopo

Sram Etap
The most imporant thing is design(simple and cool).

And besides, I could install e-tap in frame which isn't compatible with di2(need cable).

One thing concerned is sram have shifting trouble with rotor q-ring system.

I will buy e-tap if new dura(maybe 9170) isn't wireless system.

Huru

by Huru

I want to use eTap. because of curiosity

tommasini

by tommasini

muntos wrote:
Tinea Pedis wrote:If you're so adamant on the speed and ease to install Di2, record it and pop it on here. We'll time you.

Then we'll time someone equally as skilled in eTap and see who wins. I maintain it's not an 'apples to apples' comparison battle between the two groups. But by your own standards I'd like to see the results. I know which groupset my money is on.

Who said that installing DI2 is quicker than installing eTap ...?

And why a debate about install time anyways.......how many times a year do us enthusiasts install a new groupo on our own bikes.......thus making this so important (....or not)? It's the end result that is the pleasure in all this (and the few beers to enjoy as the build is completed :beerchug: )

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I would buy the Etap update kit. Use EE brakes and possibly buy the Sram crank (not sure) if i had not owned FSA K-Force Light BB 386.
Or, i would go for Ultegra Di2, swap crankset and go for EE brakes (if i had not gone for disc version).
I would not buy DA Di2. I'd rather wait for the next release if i wanted Dura.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

BlackMadone

by BlackMadone

fromtrektocolnago wrote:Not having owned either but reading the literature, seems to me the advantage in SRAM E-tap is for those bike owners who don't have bikes designed for EPS, otherwise what difference does having a wire or not having a wire make? Etap is reported to shift slower, SRAM doesn't yet support disc. I get why OEM would like E-tap, it takes less time to install but for the bike owner I don't get it. At the end of day it should offer superior shifting. It doesn't sound like it does that.

EXACTLY!

oldnslow2

by oldnslow2

The wire doesn't really matter, but the majority of pros use Di2 over EPS and not because they're sponsored.

There is no "Best" for everyone. and things will get harder once FSA and Rotor's groupsets are generally available.

Its going to be EXCITING.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

prendrefeu wrote:For a racer who may need to get a new frame after a crash, eTap has a superior advantage. Or even an athlete who swaps frames often (be they racer, product reviewer, someone with a lot of frames/time, retirees, manic-depressives, the indecisives, OCDs, etc:.)

Quite literally just press a button and that's it. No cables to route, no cable lengths to get right. ... perfect, really.

Undo stem and brake cables, switch to second bike, new brake cables and boom. A 1x11 tt bike would be easy too. Pop quick link, put RD onto TT rig, hook up chain and pair to blip box.
Using Tapatalk

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

sram currently do not sell parts individually, so if you break your shifter or RD, you might have to buy a new kit. Also not sure if you can pair different shifters to the same RD

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

ChiZ01 wrote:sram currently do not sell parts individually, so if you break your shifter or RD, you might have to buy a new kit. Also not sure if you can pair different shifters to the same RD

still ? .. personally that is a showstopper
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

kkibbler

by kkibbler

You're not looking hard enough.

https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=13&search=etap

(expensive tho)

Also

ChiZ01 wrote:Also not sure if you can pair different shifters to the same RD

Each pairing session is entirely new. When you enter a pairing session by holding the button on the RD, all existing pairings are forgotten, so you have to re-pair whatever combination of old/new/crash replacement shifter and FD you intend to use. If you crash the RD, same thing. You need to pair the new RD with your existing combination of shifters and FD.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com