Sram Red etap vs Shimano Di2....

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

KWalker

by KWalker

oldnslow2 wrote:Wires or wireless is not the reason to but a reason to but a groupset.

Some people like Campy, others like Shimano and others like Sram. Just wait until FSA releases theirs and it will be a 4 way race.

Chevy vs Ford vs Dodge... its the same.

Its not a big reason, but its still an advantage. In the end it didn't make me want the group any more, but its a plus. I feel that with any of these top tier groups the differences are pretty damn minor and people are just splitting hairs in the end. If all 3 were in front of me for zero cost the reasons I listed are why I'd grab eTap every time. But at the same time if I were paying retail for eTap and got 9070 for half price, I'd definitely run it.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spartan

by spartan

perspective from "upgrading" from 3 year old 9070 di2 to sram etap

install was straighforward
sram micro adjust requires timing. several times i made a full shift instead of a microshift
initial setup with a new dura-ace cassette. noticed i was not able to get the chain to shift properly from 11 to 12t. always hesitation.
frustrated i re-installed my 1 year old sram red cassette. problem gone. i don't know if the anyone else had this issue. i tried the sram red
cassette on my dura-ace bike. same issue the shifting from 11-12 was terrible.

speed the front shifting is amazing. equivalent to di2. please note i am using a dura-ace 9000 crankset. 52/34 combo
rear shifter is slightly slower that di2 but in the 'real' conditions it is irrelevant.
winter so can not ride outside. condo indoor parking test area LOL

looks. very chunky looking. industrial design. di2 more refined look.

ergonomics. sram sram sram. di2 hoods good not great

shifters - sram is the equivalend blue cherry mechanical keyboard switch vs di2 is the red cherry.. confused google it.

long term reliability ... great unknown. with di2 i had the seat battery die after 2 years of use. shimano replaced it under warranty.
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

XCProMD

by XCProMD

I wonder if you have ever tried the EPS Ergopowers Spartan. If so, how would you compare it to eTap?

spartan

by spartan

a friend has dogma eps.. tried it on the bike stand. love the audible click/ergo of the shifters. classic styling.
if i lived in europe eps would be first choice. all three groups are amazing. price / support/ aesthetics deciding factors

major negative.

campy charges obscene amount of money for spare parts. have you seen the cost of the seat tube battery WTF !
advice to campy. lower your prices. in 2016 made in italy has no perceived quality vs japan/taiwan/china.
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

spartan wrote:advice to campy. lower your prices. in 2016 made in italy has no perceived quality vs japan/taiwan/china.

There are so many examples in the bike industry where high price = exclusivity = desirability, and this is one of them. Many still hanker after Italian brands (even when they are not made in Italy itself sometimes)

HaroldC

by HaroldC

Just finished my first ride with eTap...... and it was amazing. I had 1st gen Di2 (7900) and liked it but never loved it. I sold the bike and didn't get Di2 for my next bike, went back to mechanical. Now that I have eTap, I'm not going back to mechanical on my Venge. Not only did it perform flawlessly on a hard ride, but it took all of 5 minutes for me to adapt to the shifting. I never really had to think about what to do, I just shifted. With Di2, I had to remember which button did what and sometime hit the wrong one. No chance with eTap.

Yes, rear shifts are milliseconds slower than Di2, but it never was an issue out on the road. It seems that when you initiate multiple shifts (dump a bunch of gears) it seems to shift faster. Not sure, maybe my imagination, but obviously no lag or sense of waiting for the rear to shift. Never had to think about it, it just worked.

It took all of 40 minutes to build the bike yesterday and most of that time was spent running brake cables. It took less than a minute to pair the shifters and derailleurs. That's it. I spent another 5 minutes setting up the limit screws and didn't even have to micro adjust the rear derailleur, although I tried it and it was pretty straight forward.

I'm running DA 9000 11-25 cassette and had no issues shifting to 11. I'm still running Red 10 speed chainrings on my Quarq, and have no issues there either.

Ahillock

by Ahillock

HaroldC wrote:With Di2, I had to remember which button did what and sometime hit the wrong one. No chance with eTap.

Wait what? Did you forget which button did what when you owned mechanical groups? Some of the comments in this thread are funny. :lol:

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Ahillock wrote:
HaroldC wrote:With Di2, I had to remember which button did what and sometime hit the wrong one. No chance with eTap.

Wait what? Did you forget which button did what when you owned mechanical groups? Some of the comments in this thread are funny. [emoji38]

I do this after I swap back to my Di2 bike after riding the race bike. Forget there are 2 buttons and shift up rather than down lol.
Using Tapatalk

Delorre

by Delorre

Ahillock wrote:

Wait what? Did you forget which button did what when you owned mechanical groups? Some of the comments in this thread are funny. :lol:

After years ans year on campa ergopowers, the first few rides on Di2 where a challange to shift in the right direction without thinking. More than once, I downshifted instead of upshift. I now switch between both bikes and all good, execpt when really, really tired at the end of a hard ride, I still shift the wrong direction on di2 once in a while :oops:

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

fromtrektocolnago wrote:Not having owned either but reading the literature

Then you're not reading the right literature. And owe it to yourself to actually try it. Otherwise it's like me passing an opinion on a steak cooked by Heston, replying just on what others have written.

dadoflam08 wrote:but etap is a very cool concept if they can get it to work.

Ummm...they have. It's not "the perfect groupset and the only logical choice for electronic shifting". And I am sure there will be the odd teething problems, like first edition Di2 had. Albeit they were small and I expect the same from eTap. Development time was huge but there are some things that really only turn up once it's in the big, wide world. Like the limit screw issue KW has had. Small, but still a problem that needs a solution.

tl;dr - it is excellent. And it works.

oldnslow2

by oldnslow2

spartan wrote:looks. very chunky looking. industrial design. di2 more refined look.

I really like the eTap hoods even over the Red mechanical. They fit in my "medium" size hands very well.

KWalker

by KWalker

Sram solved the limit screw issue already actually. Only the very, very first run had the long screw. A 1mm shorter screw solves it and they have shipped new screws to dealers and are using a 10mm screw instead of an 11 on the new groups.

Considering some of the issues di2 had when it first came out for come people this is acceptable and minor. I remember when my teammates bikes wouldn't shift when it they were below 40F for an extended period of time, for example. The groups were warrantied, but never told what the issue was.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

r_mutt

by r_mutt

i'd take DI2 every time over etap.

oldnslow2

by oldnslow2

r_mutt wrote:i'd take DI2 every time over etap.

whatever works for you. Freedom of choice is what makes America great.

uraqt

by uraqt

With the great Shimano DA cassette !!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com