160mm lightweight rotor guide please

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

alanmclean

by alanmclean

Hi, I just got my first disc road/cross wheels.

I have trp brakes and rotors. I had not realised just how much steel was involved in the rotors, they are like tractor parts!

I would be grateful for a guide/link to lightweight rotors. I tried a search on the forum but could find little, maybe looking in the wrong place.

Are they always steel? How much weight might I save? Does anyone make Ti ones? I presume alloy is not safe. I have seen some nice custom jobs but really just want mainstream manufactures please. (I should take off and weigh the current ones but I am to scared to see the number!)

Thanks and apologies if this has been covered elsewhere in which case a link would be great.

Alan

nickcube

by nickcube

Steel will always give you the best braking performance compared to other materials like aluminum and magnesium, which I believe are quite noisy as well. The two lightest 160mm rotors are the Ashima Ai2 and the KCNC rotor, which are 66g and low-70's respectively. Both of them can be brought on eBay pretty cheaply and do offer great weight loss for the price.

Most other rotors that come stock are generally ~100g each, so you should be able to save 50g at least quite comfortably. Take off your rotors and check out the weight, what rotors are you using?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alanmclean

by alanmclean

Thanks very much. I will follow your leads. I have the standard spyre trp rotors. Frame is built for 160 so cannot go 140.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Those spyre rotors are 100g. The ashima rotors are 695 and I would get them if I did not have a rack attached to my bike.