What tubular with great puncture resistance ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nickf

by nickf

cveks wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:00 pm
Tufo S33 Pro

Never had a puncture . I use Tufo S33 Pro more than 3 years. 30.000+ kms ridden.
I'm really interested in these. How do they ride?

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

Just binned a pair of Veloflexes from my "best" bike (ok, the one i use the most...) the rear was replaced out of my stash earlier in the summer and done over 4500km with no punctures, including a fair bit of dirt roads and gravel tracks. The front has done probably 8000 km. Both were completely worn out and fit for the bin.
Not sure of the model, as the writing has all been worn off, they were 25s though, and about 3 or 4 years old. So not even sure if they make them anymore!

One of the last decent tubs i had left, most of the freebies/sponsor kit we get now and over the last few years are tubeless clinchers or "open tubulars".
I might have to buy my own :(

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

ghostinthemachine wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:24 am
Just binned a pair of Veloflexes from my "best" bike (ok, the one i use the most...) the rear was replaced out of my stash earlier in the summer and done over 4500km with no punctures, including a fair bit of dirt roads and gravel tracks. The front has done probably 8000 km. Both were completely worn out and fit for the bin.
Not sure of the model, as the writing has all been worn off, they were 25s though, and about 3 or 4 years old. So not even sure if they make them anymore!

One of the last decent tubs i had left, most of the freebies/sponsor kit we get now and over the last few years are tubeless clinchers or "open tubulars".
I might have to buy my own :(
25mm and great-ish puncture protection, sounds like Arenberg or Roubaix. do they have trend pattern? the recent ones from Veloflex has micro file/leather-ish looking pattern with arrows on the shoulders every 3-4 cm.

question is, is there any tub out there is great road feel/comfortable and puncture proof? i dont mind high-ish rolling resistance.
Some say pour 10ml water out of your bottle to save that last bit of the weight. Sorry, i go one step further, i tend to the rider off my bikes. :thumbup:
n+1...14 last time i checked, but i lost count :mrgreen:

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

Cheers for that, a 15 second google shows that they were probably Veloflex Roubaix, as they had skin/tan/gumwall tire.
Pretty nice to ride actually, and apprently quite expensive at the time we got them :shock:

cveks

by cveks

nickf wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:43 pm
cveks wrote:
Tufo S33 Pro

Never had a puncture . I use Tufo S33 Pro more than 3 years. 30.000+ kms ridden.

They are not tires with best comfort but they are good . I have second set of wheels with Vittoria Corsa Speed , and Vittoria of course is more comfortable with better rolling resistance but not tire for training. I had on regular Corsas few punctures even with sealant added which forced me to switch to Tufo S33 Pro without regret. And they are like 3 times cheaper than Corsa's.

DHG01

by DHG01

nickf wrote:
cveks wrote:
Tufo S33 Pro

Unless you have to use wheels you already have, there is really no purpose to use S33. Extremely harsh and uncomfortable. The puncture resistance should be good and seal well with Tufo sealant.

Having a bunch of wheels with tubulars, S33 is the only flat I couldn't seal...not really representative enough though.

The S3 is meant to be a better rolling tyre. I use it on a summer bike and it's been good for the last 4 summers; but at that price point, I think I rather Vittoria.
Last edited by DHG01 on Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

DHG01

by DHG01

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:25 am

A bonded composite of material that ends up being thicker is beneficial in several ways.

1) There will be less deformation to potentially result in a broken seal.
2) It is simply more likely to hold the aggregate. In contrast, a thin latex tube is too elastic on its own to hold aggregate in place. And once that aggregate gets between the casing and tube, it’s not doing anything useful.
Lot's of theory here; latex inner tubes seal excellenty with the right sealant - typically no issue to pump up to 6.5-7.5 bar; better than butyl and certainly much better than tubeless on road some fanboys can't live without.

You can use plugs with Tufos bonded construction - will the plug hold at the very high pressures Tufo requires?
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:25 am

On top of that, a tubeless tubular with a latex tube fused to the casing (done correctly) would potentially result in a faster rolling tire than a traditional tubular where there is sliding friction between the casing and the tube.
Does that even exist? Beyond the 36 mm Challenge Gravel Grinder...built that way to allow plugs (which makes sense off-road).

Btw, still don get why you use the word hate in your nick.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

DHG01 wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:07 pm

Lot's of theory here; latex inner tubes seal excellenty with the right sealant - typically no issue to pump up to 6.5-7.5 bar; better than butyl and certainly much better than tubeless on road some fanboys can't live without.

You can use plugs with Tufos bonded construction - will the plug hold at the very high pressures Tufo requires?

Does that even exist? Beyond the 36 mm Challenge Gravel Grinder...built that way to allow plugs (which makes sense off-road).

I don't have issues with tubeless at high PSI with Orange Seal unless the puncture is >2mm across and/or the tire has a very thin construction like the Pro One TTs. The thicker the casing, the more chance the sealant has to adhere to the inner surface of the puncture, and for the aggregate to get wedges inside. If you try tubeless, you'll almost universally find that the thicker walled tires seal better.

I don't know if Tufos can use DynaPlugs, but I assume they can. I use DynaPlugged tires ~100psi on occasion.

Challenge already has the Strada Bianca, Almanzo and Gravel Grinder in "HTLTU" form.

ico

by ico

nickf wrote:
cveks wrote:
Tufo S33 Pro

If the road where you ride are good, then they are accpetable. Otherwise quite harsh.

DHG01

by DHG01

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:35 pm

I don't know if Tufos can use DynaPlugs, but I assume they can. I use DynaPlugged tires ~100psi on occasion.

Challenge already has the Strada Bianca, Almanzo and Gravel Grinder in "HTLTU" form.
Yes, Tufos can use plugs; the thing is Tufos requiere 8/9 bar (~130 psi).

Sorry, I thought you meant tubular with latex infused inner tube (to which 36 mm Gravel Grinder is the only case I know); I then read "open tubular".

The thing with latex is that it doesn't tear with small punctures like butyl and it stretches/sticks to itself.
A puncture the size of a small needle won't require repare; instead of loosing 1 bar pressure over a day you loos 1.5. Either way, pump os required.

Not sure that will be the case with the 36 mm Challenge (haven't punctured yet).

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

DHG01 wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:16 am

Sorry, I thought you meant tubular with latex infused inner tube (to which 36 mm Gravel Grinder is the only case I know); I then read "open tubular".

HTLTU = Handmade tubeless tubular. There are currently three models with multiple sizes, though the smallest available is the 30mm Strada Bianca.

Example: https://www.bike24.com/p2370175.html

nickf

by nickf

ico wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:34 am
nickf wrote:
cveks wrote:
Tufo S33 Pro

If the road where you ride are good, then they are accpetable. Otherwise quite harsh.
Good to know. Seems like the tubeless tub would get along a lot better with sealant if a puncture does occur. I have been using the Bontrager R4 tubs for years (worked at trek store) Essentially a Vittoria tubular with a latex tube. They wear quite fast and unless it's a tiny puncture sealant just won't work well with the latex tubes. My stash is getting low and will be looking for a replacement but with a little longer wear. Roads where I'm at are pretty good.

DHG01

by DHG01

nickf wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:08 pm
I have been using the Bontrager R4 tubs for years (worked at trek store) Essentially a Vittoria tubular with a latex tube. They wear quite fast and unless it's a tiny puncture sealant just won't work well with the latex tubes.
Surprised to hear that; I get very good results with Effeto Mariposa and similar type sealant. You will not get get good results with Tufo type sealant; it will go right through the latex tube (learned it the hard way...).

Anyway, if you do go for Tufo tubulars, the S3 is worth a try. I just came from a spin on S3 and I had been doing the same ride last week on Gatorskins. Albeit different wheelsets and frame (202+Logic vs CCU + Vortex), it did seem like the S3 provided a better ride (smother, less resistance), worse grip though.

nickf

by nickf

DHG01 wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:40 pm
nickf wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:08 pm
I have been using the Bontrager R4 tubs for years (worked at trek store) Essentially a Vittoria tubular with a latex tube. They wear quite fast and unless it's a tiny puncture sealant just won't work well with the latex tubes.
Surprised to hear that; I get very good results with Effeto Mariposa and similar type sealant. You will not get get good results with Tufo type sealant; it will go right through the latex tube (learned it the hard way...).

Anyway, if you do go for Tufo tubulars, the S3 is worth a try. I just came from a spin on S3 and I had been doing the same ride last week on Gatorskins. Albeit different wheelsets and frame (202+Logic vs CCU + Vortex), it did seem like the S3 provided a better ride (smother, less resistance), worse grip though.
The fix a flat type pressurized canister of caffelatex? I usually carry a small bottle of stans sealant with me, mixed results. Might get one puncture per year. My last one was a few months back, 3 or 4mm cut, the stans sealant didn't do anything other than make a mess.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

So use Orange Seal, even if it's hard to get in your region.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com