What tubular with great puncture resistance ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

glepore

by glepore

CG's are done, get 'em while you can. Gatorskins are durable but what's the point in a tubie that rides like a clincher? Standard Sprinters are ok, with sealant fine for everything but true crap.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sawyer

by sawyer

Vittoria SR are a good option at the fast end of puncture resistant

CGs are over-rated IMO. Slow and not all that puncture resistant.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

dchesrown

by dchesrown

Continental Gatorskin Tubular will not let you down. I have had 1 flat in 38000 miles, it was operator error running it until the cords showed. I actually like the way these tires ride and handle. I have them on all of my bikes.

Johnnysmooth

by Johnnysmooth

Puncture resistance is paramount, go with Contis
If want decent puncture resistance with good ride qualities, go with Vittoria or Veloflex, age them for a few months and use a sealant.
The latter is my approach and have had no issues on the road and I ride in a semi-urban enviro here in states where folks love to throw their bottles out on to road (knocking wood as I say that).
It only hurts if you think.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

russianbear wrote:Vittoria Corsa Elite in a 25 perhaps? Good price, butyl tubes, decent ride according to the internets.

What he said. Plus they have good puncture resistance from all the other trainer tires I have run so far. They are better than the Vittoria Rally but a little more money. I have run the Schwalbe Lugano and they have higher rolling resistance but descent puncture resistance. Also I have tried the Vredestein Freccia and it has good rolling but poor puncture resistance.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

MJB

by MJB

My experience - Vittoria CG Pave.

I do 75% of my miles on these - kevlar belt seems to work a treat without making the tubular feel like a dog (actually they float very nicely)

Maybe 7,000km rolled out on two sets of these without a single puncture or even a chunked tread.........

siklis

by siklis

great topic to discuss. as of now, i just stick to conti gatorskin + sealant. still flat proof based om my experience altough i found small pin pierced the tyre a few time already. and still no sidewall cut
Bianchi Infinito CV + campag SR + F6R DT240s 6.66kg
Bianchi Methanol SX 29er + XX1 + ztr crest + hope pro2 9.30kg
Giant TCR Advanced 3 + ultegra 10s + campy shamal ultra 7.40 kg

racingcondor

by racingcondor

Another vote for Pave's here.

I haven't found a cheap supplier of Veloflex in the UK so haven't tried them yet but I ride Pave's as my all rounders with SR's and SC's in good conditions. Tried Conti Sprinter Gatorskin (25mm) last winter and the ride was horrendous so even though they win hands down for durability I won't be using them again.

muntos

by muntos

1200 km with Conti Competition, so far so good, I love them.

llhh

by llhh

Pretty interesting to read that Conti Gatorskins are a "horrendous ride". Honestly, I call it BS. The only issue with Contis being the weight really.

I moved to Gatorskins from Vittoria Corsa Evo CX and have never looked back. 10.000+km's with zero punctures (running on Boras) on all sorts of crappy roads. Also very grippy on high-speed decents, critcs etc. I run them at ~8-9 atm, so slightly lower pressure than usual I guess.

Vittorias used to be a total PITA, was considering moving back to clinchers for a while.

All in all, Gatorskins are an excellent choice if you also train on tubulars, not only race.
Parlee Z1 Super Record
Dogma F Red AXS

HillRPete

by HillRPete

muntos wrote:I'm new to tubulars and for the beginning I'm searching for a very good puncture resistant tubular tire as I'm a little bit afraid of making flat on a tubular (or at least I want to avoid it as much as possible) with decent/good rolling resistance and weight (under 290 gr).

Let me say it with tongue-in-cheek.
There is little point in going tubular if you are afraid of flatting. I was similarly wary back then and rode Contis (Comp, Sprinter, TT). But still I would flat around once a year (never pampered the tyres though, and hit every gravel segment that looked like fun). When I moved to Vittoria (Corsa SC in my case), the frequency of flats stayed constant, but they rode oh so much better.

KCookie

by KCookie

I'm very new to tubulars to, I've just purchased conti comps and would like to now what the best psi would be.
Cheers.

llhh

by llhh

KCookie wrote:I'm very new to tubulars to, I've just purchased conti comps and would like to now what the best psi would be.
Cheers.

Experiment! It depends on the surface, terrain, discipline and most importantly, personal taste.
Parlee Z1 Super Record
Dogma F Red AXS

nickf

by nickf

Been using the Bontrager R4 tubs 25c for around a year and a half since i made the switch to tubs. I have had 2 rear flats over that time period so far. One was a bottle slicing the tire from bead to bead, the other was a big sidewall puncture. From what i can gather they are just a re-branded vittoria. Latex tube, gum wall. They ride really well and have a nice road feel to them. Not as plush as veloflex, coming off veloflex master clinchers. Veloflex is super supple but tend to flat pretty easily. We have relatively good roads here in Florida. Jon't ride in the gutter. Gotta just be on the lookout for debris.

perwjensen

by perwjensen

I whole heartedly recommend conti competition 25mm. Excellent ride quality and puncture resistance balance.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com