What tubular with great puncture resistance ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Not sure why, but I really like the Conti Comp 25's for my winter riding. Normally I ride Veloflex but the Comps seem to like water better. I did flat over the weekend and was out of sealant and just tossed the tire and put on my spare, which was a used Veloflex as I couldn't stand the thought of stretching a Conti tire on a rim in the cold and wet. So, I run the Contis for wet weather winter stuff but take a different tire along as a spare just in case, due to how difficult it is to get a Conti on the rim.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sedluk

by sedluk

Conti Gatorskins 25mm are the best for all around riding.

I also have a bike with Vittoria Pave, the 27mm tires ride like a magic carpet, be prepared to get a flat and if the roads are a little wet almost guaranteed to get a flat.

KCookie

by KCookie

KCookie wrote:
I'm very new to tubulars to, I've just purchased conti comps and would like to now what the best psi would be.
Cheers.

IIhh wrote.
Experiment! It depends on the surface, terrain, discipline and most importantly, personal taste.

The surface I ride is Tarmac and pretty clean of debris, I alternate between flat and hills up to 20% grade. I've come from conti clinchers with 100psi, so should I start at the same and work down a little at a time. What's the lowest you can go with tubular before getting problems. ? Sorry for silly questions.

Cheers

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I rin mine at 90 to 100 psi. Damm good tyres.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Depends a lot on your weight. Obviously if you're a heavier rider you will need more pressure, lower weight riders can get away with less. Like you said, experiment till you find the sweet spot for you.
I don't like super low pressures as I feel things start getting "mushy" feeling. I'm heavier at around 200lbs and run the rear Conti Comp 25 at around 110-112 and the front at 100-102psi or so. With Veloflex 25mm tubulars I seem to run about 5psi more front and rear.

Last year, I stupidly didn't stop to check while climbing a hill when things felt off and thought it was just that I went over some loose sand or gravel. After I finished the climb and gained speed up to around 20-25mph I made a quite sudden turn and the front wheel went out from under me. Slammed on the tarmac pretty good and put me out of commission for a while. The tire was still stuck perfectly to the rim but riding with super low pressure had caused the outer tread casing to start separating. I still rode it afterwards but just kept an eye on things and it never got worse over it's useful life. Didn't look so good however. That was a 25mm Veloflex Arenberg. That was the crash that ultimately gave me justification to upgrade to the new 2015 Campy stuff, since the levers got a little banged up cosmetically. Was really looking for an excuse all along.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

colster

by colster

If riding Conti's then go for Competitions, but since making the switch from Conti to Vittoria (Corsa SC and CX) couple of years ago I haven't looked back - wonderfully supple ride, decent grip in the wet, latex inners ride feel, and in my personal experience riding year round have hardly ever punctured (I ride 25's 90F 95R, some rougher roads).
Sealants like Pit Stop or Caffelatex I deem essential. Still carry a spare tub, but never yet had to use it.

KCookie

by KCookie

Thanks for the reply guys,
I'm around 73kg and running 100psi atm and it felt a little harsh, I will try a lower psi and see how I go.

Colster : I have some Vittoria Corsa CX on delivery from the UK, so it's good to hear they are a good ride.

Cheers again. !!

ChanheeLee

by ChanheeLee

I recommend Continental Sprinter Gatorskin.
I'm using Continental Tyre.
Excellent puncture resistance.

spookyload

by spookyload

Just did a double century on the new Corsa G+ 25mm. Unbelievable ride. I rode 100 rear and 95 front. I used to love the paves, but these are legit. There was a 4mile descent on a gravel road, and I never doubted the tires a second. I carry a 2oz bottle or orange seal on case of flats, but mostly to show the tire gods I still respect their wrath.

leicaman

by leicaman

I really like my conti 25mm gatorskins. Two weeks ago, a friend and I headed out into the mountains. The big climb of the day (17km, 1060m of elevation gain) turned out to be a rocky road from hell. My friend was riding 25mm conti gp4000s and managed to pick up two rear punctures. I was on the gatorskin tubs and managed to pick up good memories.

Until recently I have always ridden both front and back tyres at 100psi. Last weekend I decided to experiment a little and rode at 85psi. They felt noticeably more comfortable. I weigh around 70kg. Don't think I'll be going back to 100.

Here is a picture of the road that the gators made light work of.

https://instagram.com/p/BFu_JWNsJUZ/

KCookie

by KCookie

Hi Guys,
I took delivery of two 25mm Vittoria Corsa CX tyres today and was totally shocked how over weight they were. Stated at 255g mine are 280g and 283g. Was expecting a little over weight but not that much. Bought these to hit my target weight of 5.5kg. So disappointed especially as my Conti Comps came in under weight, stated at 280g mine were 274g and 276g.
Is it the norm to be so over weight.
Have any of you weighed your Vittorias. ?
Cheers

HillRPete

by HillRPete

leicaman wrote:Two weeks ago, a friend and I headed out into the mountains. The big climb of the day (17km, 1060m of elevation gain) turned out to be a rocky road from hell. My friend was riding 25mm conti gp4000s and managed to pick up two rear punctures. I was on the gatorskin tubs and managed to pick up good memories.

https://instagram.com/p/BFu_JWNsJUZ/

Looking awesome. Did you friend pinch or puncture flat though?

leicaman

by leicaman

@HillRPete he managed to rip through the side wall on one of the punctures. Hard to tell with the other one but I don't think it was due to a snakebite.

KCookie

by KCookie

Wow, there's no way I'd ride my bike on that, would have put the bike over my shoulder and walked. Lol. !!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KCookie

by KCookie

spookyload wrote:Just did a double century on the new Corsa G+ 25mm. Unbelievable ride. I rode 100 rear and 95 front. I used to love the paves, but these are legit. There was a 4mile descent on a gravel road, and I never doubted the tires a second. I carry a 2oz bottle or orange seal on case of flats, but mostly to show the tire gods I still respect their wrath.

Hey spookyload,
I was looking at these tyres to, did you happen to weigh them before mounting, if so what did they weigh please.
Cheers