Got to interview a Specialized engineer yesterday...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DanW

by DanW

The fact they were in Singapore and open about targeting the wealthy with the VIAS is telling about the reality of such a bike for most people regardless of the science

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ergott

by ergott

When it comes to aerodynamics, integration does matter. You can't design the front wing of a race car without considering the whole car.

micky

by micky

And it's also a good point for the bike brands as they will (are?) be selling more complete bike with proprietary components than having you go out and buy other companies's brands.

F45

by F45

They could increase their sales by 10% overnight if they sold their products with non-Specialized branding.

AJS914

by AJS914

Very interesting interview. I will welcome more intelligently designed bike parts as they naturally come to me but I've decided not to chase aero for the sake of aero.

I don't shave my legs anymore so I'm already giving up those 76 seconds at 40km/hr. over 40km. The thing is, I don't ride 40km/hr. unless I'm going downhill. Similarly, I have zero interest in an aero frame, or spending $2000 on aero wheels, or $200 on an aero helmet just to gain a few seconds on what are rides for fun and fitness.

BTW, the stem/bars on that bike are so ugly. It makes it look like the frame is proportionally too small but I know it's more aero and faster but part of the appeal to cycling is liking the way my bike looks!

highdraw

by highdraw

AJ, what you have written underscores you just aren't a candidate for the new VIAS :-) Me either btw. Good news is you can purchase three Tarmac Experts for the price of one VIAS.
But I don't subscribe to the baby with the bathwater theory when it comes to aerodynamics. No reason why a Tarmac rider can't install slippery wheels, wear a slippery helmet and skin suit etc. Then, how many watts at high speed are we really talking for the amateur in particular?
I too can't stand the aesthetic of the new VIAS stem, stack and steerer. Not sure it had to be that ugly to be slippery. The new Madone based upon the same thru stem cable routing rivals the VIAS in stem fugliness however but looks quite different and more benign. I also don't want to buy a bike with a proprietary single bolt seatpost having owned them before including from Specialized which slipped on rough roads. To me the Cervelo S3 is a much better value than a Venge VIAS and probably rivals its aerodynamics and likely has a better ride to boot...perhaps best in class in ride quality. But it also has that ridiculous single rotary bolt seat post. No VIAS for me either but they will sell to a limited market of bike riders no doubt.

tinozee

by tinozee

Wow great interview. The stuff about helmets for the asian market - I would love to try some of those different shapes. I have a narrow and tall head so I need a large helmet but not so wide. Helmets are *f##k* annoying! It would be amazing to get a custom fit helmet like you can with bike frames, shoes etc. These little ratchet systems are not cutting it.

F45

by F45

highdraw, Tom Anhalt's aero data on his blog shows that the vias frameset will save you 1.7% in CdA, everything else being equal. That is definitely not enough for a fast group rider like me to outweigh the hassle, cost, and general fugliness of that step child. :lol:

Especially considering that next year's tire crr advancements are going to equal the speed improvement.

Big props to Specialized for all this testing, though. I eat this stuff up.

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

F45 wrote:Especially considering that next year's tire crr advancements are going to equal the speed improvement.

What do you have in mind when you mention next year's tire advancements? Vittoria Graphene? Supple casing tubeless? Come on, give up some details!

highdraw

by highdraw

F45 wrote:highdraw, Tom Anhalt's aero data on his blog shows that the vias frameset will save you 1.7% in CdA, everything else being equal. That is definitely not enough for a fast group rider like me to outweigh the hassle, cost, and general fugliness of that step child. :lol:

Especially considering that next year's tire crr advancements are going to equal the speed improvement.

Big props to Specialized for all this testing, though. I eat this stuff up.

Especially if you consider that its 1.7% of 'the bike' which is 20% of the overall CdA. Then throw in aero wheels which everybody can run....the tubeset, seatpost, stem, handlebar etc are a very small piece of the aero equation. No the new VIAS isn't for everybody.