Have you seen the Wabi multi-gear steel frame? Light!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rpenmanparker

by rpenmanparker

I understand Wabi is known for fixies, but they have a multi-gear frame now made from Spirit tubing, the Lightning RE. They say the frame and fork weighs 3.9 lb, and the fork is no super lightweight...alloy steerer and dropouts. So even if the frame weighs as much as 3.3 lb, for $1,100 that is quite a deal. I don't know if you can get it cheaper without the porky fork. Spirit tubing must be good stuff if it can bring a frame in at that weight. I could build a 14.0 lb bike out of that easy or 14.8 with pedals, cages, and computer.
Robert

ergott

by ergott

Interesting. I have two friends with Wabi fixies and they love them for training on.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RyanH

by RyanH

The owner lives in my building. Lemme know if there's anything you'd like to know and I can pester him in the morning when I run into him during our dog walks.

Jmdesignz2

by Jmdesignz2

frame might be nice but price for specs is kind of uhm not too good...and why that handlebar?

rms13

by rms13

RyanH wrote:The owner lives in my building. Lemme know if there's anything you'd like to know and I can pester him in the morning when I run into him during our dog walks.

I want to know why they didn't put a full carbon fork on the frame and why they did such a questionable spec for the complete bike? They could at least do a full 4700 Tiagra and hit the same price point.

rpenmanparker

by rpenmanparker

As for me? I'm just talking about the frame. I would throw a 335 g all-carbon fork and my 10 lb build kit on it and have a 14.0 lb steel bike.
Robert

grid256

by grid256

Good race oriented chain stay length but strange they don't mention the HT length.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

I call BS on the weights. No way is a 55cm Spirit tubed frame with carbon fork 3.9lb all in. Frame only perhaps but not the full set. Same for the 18.8lb bike.

I have a 54cm XCR bike with monocoque fork and full record that is just shy of 18.5lb, so Spirit with an alloy/carbon fork and Microsoft sounds iffy.

Lets see a frame & fork on a scale. Ditto for the bike.

rpenmanparker

by rpenmanparker

I do agree that with that fork and that supposed total weight for frame AND fork, the frame would have to weigh less than 3.3 lb. A 0.6 lb fork of that description is just not possible. And similarly the frame weighing less than 3.3 lb is highly unlikely. So what's the answer?
Robert

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

RyanH wrote:The owner lives in my building. Lemme know if there's anything you'd like to know and I can pester him in the morning when I run into him during our dog walks.

Could you ask to post a verified weight on one of his frames here on Weight Weenies? :twisted:

:thumbup:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

grid256

by grid256

rpenmanparker wrote: And similarly the frame weighing less than 3.3 lb is highly unlikely.

Agree. A sub 1500g steel frame though possible, doesn't appear to be this one.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

The silence is deafening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RyanH

by RyanH

It's been awhile since I got a chance to talk to Richard but I ran into him in the elevator yesterday and the next thing I know, I got to go on a ride with him today. He rode my Colnago and I rode the new geared bike. He lent it to me for tomorrow as well, so I put my Reynolds 32's on there with 27mm Paves. I'll do a full writeup tomorrow.

Regarding the weight, he said frame was around 3.8ish pounds and fork is around 1.2ish (not 3.8ish frame/fork).

Wabi Stock

Wabi with Reynold's Thirty Twos

Close up of Welds

Chainstay tire clearance with 27mm Paves

Rear brake bridge clearance with 27mm Paves

Front Tire Clearance with 27mm Paves

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com