Campy Experts: Veloce 2010ish or newer

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

So being a "2010-ish" Campy newbie I have some questions.

2008 Bianchi Daniela RC with 10 speed Veloce. Time for a new chain (currently is a campag record 10). I realize the campy cassette spacing is different on this generation.

I need to know which chain should/will work:

KMC X10.93 - had it in the parts box and can not get it to shift properly with the differing cassette spacing.

Campag Record 10 speed-same as currently on bike.

Campag Veloce 10 speed - Is the chain width on the new campy 10 speed the same as the old campy 10 speed?

also, when it is time to replace the cassette will I need to keep the differing spacing on the new cassette, or will a cassette with equal spacing throughout work?

thanks for any thoughts.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

I don't know what you are talking about with all the "new spacing" stuff. The nice thing about Campy 10-speed is that pretty well everything is compatible from 2000 to today including cassettes.

No new spacing, OK?

Use any 10-speed chain you want.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

Sorry i was not clear, but I was not referring to "new spacing" as much as the variable lateral spacing between cassette cogs.

EG:
"Campagnolo 10 speed has three (3) different thickness of spacers. On
a Veloce 10 speed cassette which has 8 loose spacers, the first 4
spacers are 2.4mm thick. Going from the smallest cog to the biggest.
Then one 2.55mm thick spacer. Then two more 2.4mm thick spacers.
Then one 1.6mm thick spacer. The 2.55mm thick spacer is a yellow
color while the other spacers are a red/amber color. The last two
2.4mm thick spacers have the wings on them while the first four 2.4mm
thick spacers are just round."

the KMC X10.93 chain I tested did not shift properly on the upper (easier) portion of the cassette where the 1.6mm spacer is, despite it shifting fine on the other portions of the cassette.

I was also under the impression that any 10 speed chain should work, but after messing with it for an hour I began to question the compatibility. For what its worth, the derailleur hanger is straight, and shifting is much better with the old chain.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Sorry, but you are overthinking this. The spacing between the sprockets is the same regardless of spacer thickness. For instance, the largest loose sprocket is dished towards the wheel, therefore a thinner spacer is used to maintain the spacing.

It has been this way forever. Regardless of the level, the sprocket spacing is consistent.

Your previous problems had a different cause.

I have run for many years with every level of cassette, and a wide variety of 10-speed chains. Trust me.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

jekyll man

by jekyll man

As others have said, should work fine- it looks like you have other issues.

Only problem I've encountered with 10v was a centaur shifter problem with, I think, a ud10 cassette.
That was crap from new, on a pina fp3. Each item replaced(shifter, mech, chain, cables, mech hanger) but exactly the same.

Different cassette (record) improved it somewhat.

FWIW on my own bikes, I run any old cassette I can find cheap enough (usually veloce or whatever I had on my good 10v bike passed down), any kmc/campag chain and veloce mechs. Always use campag cables though.
Shifting crisp and exact all the way through crappy uk winters, and maybe cleaned once a week.
Official cafe stop tester

ALAN Carbon+

by ALAN Carbon+

Has the OP checked that the mech hanger is straight?

Sent from my 0PJA10 using Tapatalk

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

any 10spd cassette with campag spacing should work, I like miche stuff, which costs 30-32 euros from LBS and lasts long enough-shifts noiselessly with either Miche or KMC chains.

Just use decent set of cables and get a proper cable tension (I've found that when you attach the cable to the RD, you just stretch it with as much tension with your hands as you can manage, and then clamp it. It shifts perfectly without adjusting the fine-tensioner screw. And will keep working flawlessly for a few hundred km-s before you need to do a half turn on the adjuster)

Any 10speed campag cassette with a 10speed chain should work. For cables, I've used campag, but now actually running just general stainless steel inners with teflon coated shifter housing.

BikerJulio is always the person with the wisdom when it comes to Campag. :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

update:

resolved the issue. Whoever had previous removed the cassette assembled the spacers in the incorrect order, hence the different spacing between the cogs. Got a campy lock-ring tool, sorted the spacer issue and the KMC chain works great.

Thanks for all the helpful insight.