Speedplay Ti spindles off ebay & actual body rebuild kit....

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mattcooke
Resident Pro

by mattcooke

Dudes,
I am trying to figure out pedals for my new build. I want ti speedplay zeros and if I wanted to save money could I buy ti spindles off ebay and buy a body rebuild kit from the company/bike shop. I'd would save over $100 if I did this and the ti spindles I've seen on ebay come in lots of colors.
Does this make sense at all? Has anyone done this?
Thanks fellas.

Marin

by Marin

It does make sense and I'm sure someone has already put aftermarket ti spindles in their pedals!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Delorre

by Delorre

You could also buy the cro-mo version and upgrade with ebay spindles. The cro-mo version might be cheaper as a rebuild kit. This is what I've done : 100€ for the pedals and around 50€ for the spindles.

BRM

by BRM

There is tons of info on this forum about Sp**dplay and after market spindles.
Search on Ward (Industries).
Most titanium spindles are made of medical titanium. That is not the strongest titanium.
Ward uses a titanium specially developed for militairy planes. A fraction lighter and at the same time stronger.

Also you will find an extensive guide how to change the spindles.
And you also will find information of a guy that was threatened by Sp**dplay lawyers because he sold maintenance sets on ebay and used the name Speedplay.

Tispindle.com or titaniumspindles.com
(formerly Ward Industries)
Last edited by BRM on Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

highdraw

by highdraw

Hehe...lots of internet hate directed at Specialized for protecting their rights but the Speedplay lawsuit thing for aftermarket interlopers is really something. I am a big fan of Speedplay and ride zeros with stainless steel spindles but haven't gone the Ti spindle route where there have been more reported failures.

aarw

by aarw

I used titaniumspindles.com and would recommend them, great communication. they had a few different options when i emailed them.

I bought a pair of standard Chromo Zero's and replaced the spindles, reducing weight from 226gm to 164.

You also get the additional choices of colours with the chromo zeros over the body kit which i was only able to get in black.

All in i spent £120 GBP.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

go for wards spindles. best out there.

kode54

by kode54

i've got two sets with Ward spindles. i had a CroMo original and Stainless...both converted. had them for some time now when they were Ward...i have since gotten a rebuild kit from Excel Sports and replaced the entire lollipop. good stuff and less money going that route you mentioned.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

nickf

by nickf

I went with ward spindles. Been great for years now. If i need new pedal bodies i just go buy a complete pedal kit. They want nearly $100 for just the bodies. $129 or so for a kit.

joshclick

by joshclick

nickf how do you determine when you need new pedal bodies? Mine are starting to look pretty worn, but there still might be many miles of life in there.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Ward spindles all the way but you need to email them as they don't publicise the prices online for the SPlay spindles - I've got two sets of them. I wouldn't bother with the eBay versions. Also depending on where you are located at the moment Matt dulight.fr sell the ward spindles as well, they list online they are manufactured by Dulight http://www.dulight.fr/index.php?cPath=95_62_133 but they are Ward Industries

mattcooke
Resident Pro

by mattcooke

Thanks guys, I am ordering the Ward ti spindles now and cro-mo pedals.
I'll put up pics n weight when I'm done.

aarw

by aarw

As above, you'll need to email them for options as not advertised on website but they're super helpful.

below pedals were upgraded with Ward Ind. / titaniumspindles.com from Chromo pedals. Advantage of buying Chromo is you also get cleats of course :D
Attachments
ward spindles.jpg

nickf

by nickf

I started to get a lot of rocking in the system. I run the zero pedals. On the plastic i could no longer see the L&R or dimples on the pedal. Worn that much. New pedal bodies and its good as new.

joshclick wrote:nickf how do you determine when you need new pedal bodies? Mine are starting to look pretty worn, but there still might be many miles of life in there.

kode54

by kode54

nickf wrote:I started to get a lot of rocking in the system. I run the zero pedals. On the plastic i could no longer see the L&R or dimples on the pedal. Worn that much. New pedal bodies and its good as new.

joshclick wrote:nickf how do you determine when you need new pedal bodies? Mine are starting to look pretty worn, but there still might be many miles of life in there.

also, i change the cleats before i change the pedal bodies. the inside of the cleats where the pedal sits gets worn as well.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com