Speedplay Ti spindles off ebay & actual body rebuild kit....

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BRM

by BRM

$30? link?

Rockbros
I see some people complain about screws and one about 5 mm shorter than original spindles.
(look on Amazone comments)

-The Ward's are better/ stronger/ tougher material so they can carry more weight and bit less flex maybe.
-Looks are nicer.
-Available in 5 lengths.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spliid

by spliid

I normally use J&L Ti spindles on eBay. Weight seems okay, and they use a nitric surface so you can get them in colors.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/J-L-Titanium-Ti ... jgkjsJOadA

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

nickf wrote:How do the Ti bowties hold up?

I have some aluminum bowties and they last about a year. Then I bought some titanium bowties and they have yet to wear out after a few years. I suspect they wear as long as the steel version.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

aarw wrote:As an update to this I've received Ti bowties from Toronto Cycles (excellent service and quick delivery to EU), bringing the overall weight of my Zero's down to 148gm for the pair

That's a standard pair of Chromo Zero's with the spindle replaced with Ward Ind. Ti and now the Ti bowties from Toronto. Cost just under £145 including all delivery charges.

Swap the bolts out and you'll get them even lighter

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

I went through fleabay to get my J&L Ti butterflies, Ti pedal bolts and Ti cleat bolts.

- Saved 18g on the pedals (going from 42g to 24g).

- Saved 5g on my cleats (going from 10g to 5g).

Just like the old days with (too) fast-wearing aluminum butterflies, installation of the J&L product was a breeze. Everything looks like they're a perfect fit. Ride and longevity report to follow.

welchy

by welchy

EDIT: Double post :oops:
Last edited by welchy on Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

welchy

by welchy

Johnny Rad wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:26 am
I went through fleabay to get my J&L Ti butterflies, Ti pedal bolts and Ti cleat bolts.

- Saved 18g on the pedals (going from 42g to 24g).

- Saved 5g on my cleats (going from 10g to 5g).

Just like the old days with (too) fast-wearing aluminum butterflies, installation of the J&L product was a breeze. Everything looks like they're a perfect fit. Ride and longevity report to follow.

Hopefully you've managed to get a really good long time review by now, any joys here bud? Intrigued to know the performance!

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

welchy wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:19 pm
Hopefully you've managed to get a really good long time review by now, any joys here bud? Intrigued to know the performance!
J&L Ti butterflies and Ti pedal bolts are good to go! No signs of needing replacement. :thumbup:

If I recall correctly, the Ti cleat bolts were fine with my regular Zero cleats; however, they were too long for the new(er) Zero walkable cleats so I abandoned them. Somewhere along the line, I tried some different lightweight (alum?) bolts for the walkable cleats, but they were too soft and stripped when I tried to torque them into place to keep the cleat from moving around. (read here, pg5: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=144273&start=60)