lightweight cable set

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

addictR1

by addictR1

i just sent my Addict R1 into Scott to have the take a look. in the meantime, i need a new replacement shifter + brake cable set, since my old jagwire will need to be replaced.

i've heard of different brands like powercordz, alligator iLinks, nokon, or aican. but which one would you guys recommend for both lightweight and performance with SRAM RED? i've never used any of those before.. so hoping fellow WWer could chime in.

if possible one that can also support internal routing as well. i know my Addict is external, but in case if i get another frame that's internal.. i wouldn't have to ask again. ;)

thanks~

rmerka

by rmerka

Jagwire Elite links. Top notch stuff.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

addictR1

by addictR1

how light are they? do they have extended version for internal routing if needed?

rmerka

by rmerka

I have the brake ones on My R5 and S3 they seem very light but I never weighed them, sorry. The ones I used for my brakes came with about twice as many links as I needed. Are you running full length housing internally, I've never owned an Addict. They are the smoothest feeling cables I've ever used. The liner inside the links has some kind of lube in it and the cables are coated with some black stuff. Jagwire claims the housing is 20% lighter than traditional. The cables are stainless steel.

xena
Banned

by xena

If you want a light weight cable set up ,try this.
I got some old Tune MTB outer housing [ ebay] . I took off the outer casing " the black part on the outside"
You are left with the inside of the housing which is white. This weighs just 4/5grms each piece. From your shifters to your cable stop will be 1 piece. that's 20 grms at the front and one piece 5grms should cover the rest of your bike. From the rear cable stop to the brake and a bit for your rear mech . The total weight for your outer housing would under 30grms.
This is way lighter than anything you can buy like Nokon Mini I links any of them. Use Powercordz inner cables and your whole set up is bonkers light and works perfectly. You do not need any liner. I have used this for years. You won't find a lighter set up that works this well.
You can see it on my bike.
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

RyanH

by RyanH

Mini iLinks for shifters and iLinks for brakes has been a fantastic combo. It's about 97gr for a medium externally routed frame. I've used it on three different bikes and even transferred them over from one bike to another, they just work and work very well.

AICAN Bungarus, I gave up on them. The plastic connectors break and then shifting goes down the drain. Do a search of the forum and you'll find a lot of others with issues.

The lightest, other than what Xena suggested above, would be:

Mini iLinks with a KCNC Ti cable
Swift Powercordz for the brakes.

The Swift Powercordz are about 20gr lighter than the iLinks for the brakes.

addictR1

by addictR1

Sweet.. thanks guys!!

mrgray

by mrgray

i went for mini ilinks for gears and ilinks for brakes. i tried power cordz too. i'm not the worlds greatest bike mechanic by any stretch. i got things to work but never as well as my other bike which is just straight campag outers and cables. in the end all of the fussing about has just given me a bike that doesn't shift as nice as it did for a weight achievement of about 90g. plus power cordz cost a fortune. a problem with the power cordz too was that they arent very flexible and the outer casing would crack sometimes and that was detrimental to shifting of course.

powercordz were flat out dangerous on EE brakes too. though it did work sometimes it was unreliable and thats not what i am really after on brakes. an issue was that you sort of get one go at the cable pinch. after that things start going to hell a bit.

lovely idea but for me it just didn't work out in the end. i'm going back to standard.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

RyanH

by RyanH

@mrgray, hmmm...I just ordered some Powercordz to try with my eeBrakes. Any pointers?

wojchiech

by wojchiech

I've been using powercordz brake cables with ilinks. About 2000 km in and no problems. Replaced with new liners when I switched from steel cables to powercordz, and cut the new liners to slightly longer than the adjustment barrel for full coverage. Since the outers were already the right length I didn't need to fuss with actual cable length.

mrgray

by mrgray

@RyanH - there is a decent video in this regard and as i recall one needs to make a knot with the powercord. the knot is then clasped by the clamping bolt. you use a third hand to keep the brake compressed whilst you do this, dont do it too tight and then when you're done the brake comes off a little and voila, you're done.

i did have an issue getting the play out of the ilinks and so having to iterate this step.
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg

omikronphi

by omikronphi

Niro Glide Turbo Plus. Cheap, light and works! Complete Brake/shifting set of housing and cables for my Supersix Evo weighs 79 Grams.
I can tell you the weight per meter when I'm home tonight.

mrgray

by mrgray

@omikronphi - wow, amazing bike. awesome paint too.

niro glide looks pretty good. and not too expensive.
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Lightweight does not produce cable sets. :roll:

Yet there are cable sets and combinations which are light in weight. :wink:

Can you correct your thread title, please?
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sanrensho

by sanrensho

I was all set to go Aican Bungarus (for brake) based on the glowing reviews. Are there that many issues with the Bungarus?