lightweight cable set

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

sanrensho wrote:I was all set to go Aican Bungarus (for brake) based on the glowing reviews. Are there that many issues with the Bungarus?

Been using Aican Bungarus since 2011 on 4 bikes -- no issues.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

xena wrote:If you want a light weight cable set up ,try this.
I got some old Tune MTB outer housing [ ebay] . I took off the outer casing " the black part on the outside"
You are left with the inside of the housing which is white. This weighs just 4/5grms each piece. From your shifters to your cable stop will be 1 piece. that's 20 grms at the front and one piece 5grms should cover the rest of your bike. From the rear cable stop to the brake and a bit for your rear mech . The total weight for your outer housing would under 30grms.
This is way lighter than anything you can buy like Nokon Mini I links any of them. Use Powercordz inner cables and your whole set up is bonkers light and works perfectly. You do not need any liner. I have used this for years. You won't find a lighter set up that works this well.
You can see it on my bike.

Would love to try and find some of this stuff, seems pretty elusive though

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

I would stay away from powercordz for shifting. You will need to make routine adjustments and when you do so, the cordz casing gets damaged. Brakes you also have to be carewful with. If you use thm or ee, I would recommend steel or ti cables. For housing, any of the alloy housing will do. But if you use powercordz you will need the powercordz liners

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

prendrefeu wrote:Lightweight does not produce cable sets. :roll:

Yet there are cable sets and combinations which are light in weight. :wink:

Can you correct your thread title, please?
While I sympathize with this point of view to some extent, it is based on as assumed knowledge of the Lightweight brand, prominent as it is, or was, on this forum. Nevertheless, the Lightweight brand (now owned by CarbonSports) should accept some of the blame and consequences for using a generic word, already defined in the dictionary, as a brand name.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/lightweight wrote: adjective
1. light in weight.
2. being lighter in weight, texture, etc., than another item or object of identical use, quality, or function:

addictR1

by addictR1

thanks guys for all your suggestions. i'm running sram red calipers.. which now got me thinking if i should upgrade them too.. :(

this is a bad forum to be in................. haha

carhillclimb

by carhillclimb

In an earlier topic I said I could not get the KCNC ti brake cables to work correctly on my 5.0 Kg Guru Photon. It was actually a problem with too-tight a radius for the Bungarus cable housing. With a J-Tek dual control model S and Bungarus housing and 2 KCNC ti cables, front braking is WAY better than with a single PowerCordz cable with Prime cable housing which was WAY better than the single KCNC cable with Bungarus.

All my main road bikes have aero bars, and all my aero bars have a brake lever for the front brake. The Guru Photon is no exception. I do not choose to die from being unable to stop in time, nor do I choose to be one of the cyclists who kills pedestrians in Central Park NY while riding on the aero without a brake lever there (and yes that happened in 2014). Aero is faster but put a brake on it. (For the non-lightweight setup I have good success with a single long steel cable and either steel or CLB aluminum housing, but the test last night implies the JTek may be better.)

Bungarus does NOT work with Powercordz. PowerCordz prime claims to be lighter per foot than Swift. I have not tried Swift to see how it does with 40 mm radius 180 degree bends.

Powercordz is VERY annoying to set up. You get only one shot at it, so you need to buy extra unless you are better than I am.

Lightest brake cable setup I know that works for the front is KCNC ti cables, Bungarus housing and the JTek dual control model S splitter which total out to about 36 grams, which is about 3 grams heavier than a single Powercordz without the JTek dual control (much less housing with the splitter). I reiterate the need for 2 levers on my bikes, you can go lighter if you do not ride aero, but Bungarus and ti cables is still the lightest I know for that.

Lightest brake cable setup I know for the rear is Powercordz & Prime housing, because much of the run has no housing. Full cable housing would then make the lightest be the Bungarus and KCNC. KCNC CB7 and THM Fibula brakes with Powercordz will require creativity in making a way to knot the cable around the cable fastening "tube", especially since the bottom of the existing hole has edges that appear sharp enough to cut the cable as you knot it. On the AX-3000 rear brake I made a 6mm 7075 aluminum rod (longest partially threaded 6mm aluminum bolt available from Toronto Cycles, cut down) with holes for the cable tie. I have not managed to get the AX-3000 front brake to stop the bike so that is a KCNC CB1 which is the second-lightest front brake I know - 3 grams lighter than my Fibula front.

KCNC is VASTLY easier to set up than Powercordz. Once I have the Powercordz in place they have yet to move, but I do a 360 degree wrap around the clamp bolts on derailleurs and brakes that allow that. Cable housing seating is an issue which causes a lot of frustration.

The current setup is literally 1 day old, and the next experiment for the week is to try the AX front again. A lot easier to swap brakes around with the ti cables than the Powercordz.

I would be happy to try some other cable housings if they are lighter than Powercordz prime and work with Powercordz, or lighter than Bungarus, or about as light as Bungarus and able to tolerate 40 mm radius bends with no compression under use. If they are no longer made, like the CLB aluminum, a pointer to a source would be needed.

From memory, Powercordz prime claim to be about 24g/meter but I think they may be 26. Bungarus claims to be 18g/meter. Powercordz full length cable is about 4g. KCNC ti rear brake cable to rear brake length or single cable dual lever front length is about 7g.

Michael Wilson
Michael Wilson

Denavelo

by Denavelo

hate to hash this out further.. I've been dabbling with light cables (iLinks) and I could never get the shifting crisp on SR11.... When I use stock campy cables, the shifting was amazing. I run EE brakes so iLinks were perfect for those brakes, due to the housing length has to be perfect for them to work properly..

Would stock campy housing with KCNC Ti cables offer a perfect medium for lightweight cables and stock cables? I'm building up my BH Ultralight this weekend and can't decide on cables...
Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

My favourite combo is ashima keeler casings and powercordz cables.

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

Denavelo wrote:hate to hash this out further.. I've been dabbling with light cables (iLinks) and I could never get the shifting crisp on SR11.... When I use stock campy cables, the shifting was amazing. I run EE brakes so iLinks were perfect for those brakes, due to the housing length has to be perfect for them to work properly..

Would stock campy housing with KCNC Ti cables offer a perfect medium for lightweight cables and stock cables? I'm building up my BH Ultralight this weekend and can't decide on cables...

Personally, I would use KCNC Ti cables for brakes and use the Campy steel cables for both shifters.

aidenmoon

by aidenmoon

i agree with rmerka. jagwire elite road. thumbs up.
nokon.. hard to install
aligator.. light for sure but personally i felt it looked cheap chinese made

and now jagwire.. yes. this is it!

Denavelo

by Denavelo

Can someone post a picture of Jagwire elite Road on a Campy drivetrain?
I've seen (1) single post where someone said they were running Campy with Jagwire Elite Road..
I would love to try that, as Jagwire is pretty solid in the cable department.
Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite

rmerka

by rmerka

My new bike will have this but I'm still waiting on the frame...which is taking forever! It's the only part that's missing. I tested all the connectors and from I can tell it will work fine. The only thing I'm planning on doing differently is using the Campy shifter cables inside the Jagwire housing (it fits fine) and I'll be using the Campy housings for the stubs that connect to the shifters. All the parts are SR 2015.

smoby

by smoby

I run nokon on the gears and they are ok. Nothing special for shifting and prob not the lightest ever.

rmerka

by rmerka

Denavelo wrote:Can someone post a picture of Jagwire elite Road on a Campy drivetrain?
I've seen (1) single post where someone said they were running Campy with Jagwire Elite Road..
I would love to try that, as Jagwire is pretty solid in the cable department.

Here you go. Took it out for it's first ride yesterday and was fantastic!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

siklis

by siklis

anybody had any experience with nocon cables?
Bianchi Infinito CV + campag SR + F6R DT240s 6.66kg
Bianchi Methanol SX 29er + XX1 + ztr crest + hope pro2 9.30kg
Giant TCR Advanced 3 + ultegra 10s + campy shamal ultra 7.40 kg