Bora 35 or 50 on Lugged steel

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LenJ

by LenJ

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on some Bora One 35 or 50 for my Sach's. Currently have Neutrons on it.

I've been surprised to hear more than a few people indicate 50's are to big a profile for a lugged steel bike.... aesthetically. What say the board?

Practically..... what difference will I notice between the two. My riding is mostly flat to rolling, solo 20 MPH or so. Group Hammer-fests occasionally mid 20's. I keep going back and forth between "You have low profile wheels, go 50's" and "You aren't riding fast enough to get the benefit from '50's...it's pretentious as hell.".

Opinions welcome.

Thanks

Len

ergott

by ergott

LenJ wrote:I've been surprised to hear more than a few people indicate 50's are to big a profile for a lugged steel bike.... aesthetically. What say the board?

Len

Hogwash. Those wheels will look just fine on that bike. Who said that?

50mm rims aren't limited to aero bikes. Ride the wheels and enjoy!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Aesthetically, the owner always has the final say. Neutrons are nice wheels. I'd jump to the 50's rather than the 35's, since you already have the Neutrons. 20's to mid 20's is certainly fast enough to get some benefit from the profile. Hell, there's people on this forum who think you get an aero benefit at walking speeds :beerchug:
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

LenJ

by LenJ

ergott wrote:
LenJ wrote:I've been surprised to hear more than a few people indicate 50's are to big a profile for a lugged steel bike.... aesthetically. What say the board?

Len

Hogwash. Those wheels will look just fine on that bike. Who said that?

50mm rims aren't limited to aero bikes. Ride the wheels and enjoy!

My reaction too......

AJS914

by AJS914

LenJ wrote:Practically..... what difference will I notice between the two. My riding is mostly flat to rolling, solo 20 MPH or so. Group Hammer-fests occasionally mid 20's. I keep going back and forth between "You have low profile wheels, go 50's" and "You aren't riding fast enough to get the benefit from '50's...it's pretentious as hell.".

The real world benefit at 20-25mph will be pretty small. All the tests usually talk about a 40km time trial at 30mph. Buy Boras because you think they look cool and will be awesome wheels.

Timujin

by Timujin

lifes short.. get them both!!!

mariovalentim

by mariovalentim

the weight penalty of the 50's is just 40grs, I say get the 50's!

kgt

by kgt

I am one of those who say that "50's are to big a profile for a lugged steel bike.... aesthetically".
Hyperons would be a much better choise IMHO.

Another choise is to get a second bike. Something like Cervelo S2 with 105 will cost you as much as a bora Wheelset and will make you think you're faster.
Last edited by kgt on Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LenJ

by LenJ

Why would I want a disposable plastic bike? ;-)

ergott

by ergott

kgt wrote:I am one of them who say that "50's are to big a profile for a lugged steel bike.... aesthetically".

No less aesthetically pleasing than putting low profile Lightweights on a full aero frame like a Cipollini.
:thumbup:

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
:beerchug:

kgt

by kgt

Maybe because you already want "disposable plastic wheels"? :wink:

BTW If I were you I would get a nice pair of low profile tubular rims built on high quality hubs and cx-ray spokes.

LenJ

by LenJ

kgt wrote:Maybe because you already want "disposable plastic wheels"? :wink:

Touche' :D

kgt

by kgt

ergott wrote:
kgt wrote:I am one of them who say that "50's are to big a profile for a lugged steel bike.... aesthetically".

No less aesthetically pleasing than putting low profile Lightweights on a full aero frame like a Cipollini.
:thumbup:

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Am I riding a full aero frame? Oh sh!t !

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maverick_1

by maverick_1

IMHO aesthetically it's totally fine having a 50 on a lugged steel frame.