DI2 junction box

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Timmy269

by Timmy269

I'm gonna buy a Sworks Tarmac frame sl5 2016 and build my DI2 system of my other bike on it. The Junction box on my other bike is under the stem but I don't like it there. Are there people who placed the junction box on a better/less visible place?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ianSWBB
Shop Wrench

by ianSWBB

Timmy 269

So we have the SWorks Tarmac 2016 already, but there is no compartment or anything for the Di2 junction box
Most recently, we have been using the specially designed headset spacer, that has an integrated bracket to take the junction box, thus keeping the stem clear

regards
ian

DartanianX

by DartanianX

Swap out the bolt that is used to hold the rain cover on the BB on and run it mounted there.

You'll have to cut a small hole with a dremel to run the cables back into the frame but this is much cleaner here than under the stem.

Run a cable from shifter to shifter, then a cable from one shifter all the way down to a 5port junction box mounted under the BB. Then one cable from there to each component needed.

See photo attached.

Slack

by Slack

I've got my charger box under the saddle so I have no wires at the front end of my bike. I drilled through the top of the post so you could run one cable up from the 4 port junction in the BB out of the top of the post into the charger junction, then ran another short cable back through the hole to the internal battery. This just uses the same amount of cables as a standard setup but with different lengths. It's on a non load-bearing part of the post so it won't affect the post. The junction is now mounted under the saddle rather than on the seatpost as in the last photo so there is nothing visible on the bike. I though about under the BB too but my old bike had the battery under there and there was always so much sand and grit down there I didn't want the junction getting full of grit all the time.

Timmy269

by Timmy269

DartanianX wrote:Swap out the bolt that is used to hold the rain cover on the BB on and run it mounted there.

You'll have to cut a small hole with a dremel to run the cables back into the frame but this is much cleaner here than under the stem.

Run a cable from shifter to shifter, then a cable from one shifter all the way down to a 5port junction box mounted under the BB. Then one cable from there to each component needed.

See photo attached.

I tought I had to run from each shifter into the frame, two cables, but it works also from shifter to shifter en than one cable in the frame.

Timmy269

by Timmy269

Slack wrote:I've got my charger box under the saddle so I have no wires at the front end of my bike. I drilled through the top of the post so you could run one cable up from the 4 port junction in the BB out of the top of the post into the charger junction, then ran another short cable back through the hole to the internal battery. This just uses the same amount of cables as a standard setup but with different lengths. It's on a non load-bearing part of the post so it won't affect the post. The junction is now mounted under the saddle rather than on the seatpost as in the last photo so there is nothing visible on the bike. I though about under the BB too but my old bike had the battery under there and there was always so much sand and grit down there I didn't want the junction getting full of grit all the time.

Did you mountend the shiftercable on to the brakingcable and run them trough te same hole?

mimason

by mimason

Another option is to mount under the computer mount like the Barfly 2.0.

Nejmann

by Nejmann

Another option, is the s-works stem, with the built in mount? So you loose the rubberband?

Delorre

by Delorre

Timmy269 wrote:
Slack wrote:

Did you mountend the shiftercable on to the brakingcable and run them trough te same hole?

You clearly see the heatschrink used. Very neat! I've done the same.

mariovalentim

by mariovalentim

you can use the Pro Tharsis stem and put the junction box inside of it
http://www.pro-bikegear.com/en-gb/catal ... is-xc-stem

Timmy269

by Timmy269

Delorre wrote:
Timmy269 wrote:
Slack wrote:

You clearly see the heatschrink used. Very neat! I've done the same.

So the heatschrink is around the di2 cable and the rear brake cable? Is the hole nog enough door thise 2 cables?

Slack

by Slack

Timmy, the hole for rear brake on the top tube has a hole next to it to run the di2 cable in next to it, it is part of the frame design.

Timmy269

by Timmy269

Slack wrote:Timmy, the hole for rear brake on the top tube has a hole next to it to run the di2 cable in next to it, it is part of the frame design.

Do you have a picture of it :mrgreen:

Timmy269

by Timmy269

Slack wrote:Timmy, the hole for rear brake on the top tube has a hole next to it to run the di2 cable in next to it, it is part of the frame design.

Hey Slack, do you have a picture of the left side of the bike where the di2 cable and rear brake cable go in the frame? If possible also a close up photo of the hole.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mr4fox

by mr4fox

I currently have mine mounted under the water bottle cage on the seat post. i have connected the right shifter to the left shifter. then a single long cable running form the left shifter to the junction B (4 way connector) in the BB. from there one wire goes out to the 3port junction box under the bottle cage. From there another cable goes to the front derailleur. There is a bit of cable slack that has to dealt with but no drilling of carbon is needed...and honestly, i never see any of it when i look at my bike plus i can still access while I'm riding if necessary. But its not perfectly neat and i know that bugs people.

Other options I've seen are the BLK-Tek bars http://www.blktec-cycles.com/collection ... roducts/r5
or the Syncros aero road bars that come on the 2016 Scott foil...
http://www.syncros.com/syncros/global/e ... r-Stem-420

a friend of mine has Enve SES Areo road bars and PRO Tharsis stem. looks pretty cool. He daringly drilled a hole in the back part of the clamped section of the cars so the cables ran from inside the bars directly into the Tharsis stem. so the only. pretty neat set up...I'm too chicken to drill a hole in the bars until an engineer tells me it should be safe.

Dont know why more bars and stems aren't made to hide the junction box. it seems a pretty popular topic.