Suggestion for Carbon Frame Worthy of Custom Paint Job

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RyanH

by RyanH

Any suggestions for a frame that a) I can pick up second hand for under a grand and b) is considered durable, reliable and "worthy" enough to invest in a custom paint job? Parlee comes to mind, with the Z4 being available relatively cheaply second hand. Would that be a good candidate? Anything else I should keep my eye on?

I guess technically most carbon frames are fairly durable, but I don't know how I feel about spending as much on paint as on something like a Tarmac. So, I guess I'm looking for a perceived to be "special frame". Maybe a Colnago C50? Is that blasphemy to custom paint a C50?

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

Anything by Legend. If you can find one 2nd hand (in the US there's very slim chance..)

http://www.legendfactory.eu/

or pick up a SuSi and strip it. Nothing more reasonable comes to my mind

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RyanH

by RyanH

I've seen a Legend Ti in person, they're very nice. I'm thinking I'll have trouble picking one up for less than a grand.

What do you mean by SuSi?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

SuperSix. If you can pick up an older model which was still "handmade in USA", that could probably be a very unique bike. Though the later models are much lighter :)

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Hey.

Any frame that you like is 'worthy' of a custom paint job - there is no frame, that I can think of, of any kind, that is not worth some imagination and custom paint if you love it enough. Even a beat-up steel frame for commuting would deserve a custom paint job if you love it enough.

But if the frame is light enough, you would, ideally, be removing the paint altogether. :twisted:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Or start with a custom carbon framebuilder and design the frameset and paint scheme in one package.

gravity

by gravity

I think a round tube frame - as oppose to shaped tube frame - is easier to play with the paint.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Stolichnaya wrote:Or start with a custom carbon framebuilder and design the frameset and paint scheme in one package.

For under a grand?

That would be the ideal situation, but the OP doesn't sound like he has the budget for that sort of project.

Back to the question, we've seen all sorts of projects like this on here over the years. BmanX Cervelo springs to mind. There was a Trek that was re-finished in matte black and white Trek logos - simple, not exactly exciting but damn it looked good! I remember a Giant as well.

Just be careful, as a Colnago was re-sprayed in Saronni red and wasn't as good as the original scheme. And was considered in poor taste to re-spray a 'nago. Assuming you give a rats what people on the internet think.

A Z4 is a good call. Maybe even a Time VXRS Ulteam World Star. Or a Look 595/555. Interested to see how it goes, whatever you choose.

DMF

by DMF

I wouldn't ever consider custom painting a frame that doesn't hit every single number for both fit and handling. I.e stack, reach, HTA, STA, HT, CS, FC... This is ofcourse a very personal thing based on your measurements and your preference for handling...

Unless you're just doing a show piece, in which case I might not even bother installing BB bearings or a headset as they add cost, weight and are unessential for internet forum photo posting...

In other words, best tip would be to get a bike that actually fits, not just one that is said to "ride well" as that is just half the truth.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Well, it seems I am a victim of my own haste.
Did not catch the budget statement in the first sentance from the OP.
Still I would not hesitate to do a proper custom paint job until the frame was worthy and a perfect fit (and new), but that is just me.

Radiokopf

by Radiokopf

HongFu, DengFu, ....

Gesendet von meinem iPhone mit Tapatalk

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Any frame is worthy of a custom paint job to think that some are not is snobbery.

The frame has to fit though if it fits well it is worthy. Weather it is worth it for some frames is another matter.

RyanH

by RyanH

It's not out of snobbery, it's that I don't want to spend $600 or more sending a frame to hottubes that has questionable longevity. I have this perception that certain carbon frames as more robust than others. I could be completely wrong in my perception, in which case I'd pick up an R3sl.

On the other hand, I could pick up another Litespeed since the geometry will be the same and have one painted and one nude, but I want to get something slightly different with less racey geometry for "slow days," which is why I had my eye on a Colnago. Rychtarski can make me a new frame with any paint job for around a grand or so, maybe that's the best option even though it's steel.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

why not just buy a new frame? buying a used frame with a new paintjob may cost as much as a new frame

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Any frame can break regardless of the material it is more about the design than frame material. I know folk who have cracked alloy frames, steel frames, Ti frames and carbon frames. so any frame can be therefore considered to be not worthy.

My steel frame is due for another repaint. The paint costs more than I paid for the frame but it needs it again.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com