When to wash bike?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

eagle34

by eagle34

Around how many km between bike washes?

echtogammut

by echtogammut

Every 100km, if you are pro you will have someone follow you with a second bike to swap out on longer rides. This is a hard rule, that every non-Fred follows.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BhSimon

by BhSimon

Once a week for me: 350km. It’s a convenient timeframe. Usually Saturday afternoon, in preparation for Sunday which is typically a big ride day.

It took me a while to get my cleaning routine refined to the point that it didn’t feel like an arduous task. That made a huge difference. Now, I actually enjoy it because it doesn’t take long and the result is a sparkly bike. I really enjoy doing it now—I’m going to start a bike cleaning business where cyclists can drink coffee while I clean their bikes. $25, including a free coffee: 30 minutes.

I’m always surprised by how many of my cycling friends have really dirty bikes.

I’ve noticed I have much less maintenance issues since I started this weekly cleaning routine.

sungod

by sungod

depends on where you ride and the weather

if it's dry but not dusty, it could be a long time

if it's wet or dusty it might be daily

the bike finish makes a difference too...

my shiny bike is stainless steel so any mark/dirt really stands out, but also it means a quick wipe with a finger or a damp paper tissue is usually all that's needed to clean it, sometimes i need to hose it down though!

robrud

by robrud

When it is dirty, of course. After a wet ride it's dirty for sure. If the weather has been nice and the bike has seen only nice clean roads, I don't see any point of washing it. Wiping with a wet cloth can be sufficient.

efeballi

by efeballi

As above; depends on the conditions you ride.

For me, it's when I see black spots on the chain. Clean the drivetrain with degreaser, apply detergent to whole bike with rag, let dry, lube chain. I do it circa 2 weeks in the summer and after every rainy ride in the winter.
Routinely cleaning the bike also helps you notice any damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SHUT UP LEGS
2015 Giant Propel Advanced
2015 Cannondale Supersix Evo
2013 KTM Strada mod. (totaled)
2011 Pinarello Dogma 60.1(loaner)
2011 Scott SUB 45(sold)

Politecnico di Milano Ingegneria Meccanica

Marin

by Marin

Never :)

I do wipe them down with a rag and some WD-40 every few months though.

esfrost

by esfrost

I clean my bike after every single ride, call me an idiot, but after 2,5 years, it still works and looks just like when i put it together. And i actually ride it. :) It takes no longer than 15-20 minutes top.

losdoyers

by losdoyers

Does washing up make the bike work better?

esfrost

by esfrost

I might be too cautious, but i a believe that dirt, dust can get into the components, even after one ride, the parts will wear quicker, and yes, they can reduce their operation. I'm not taking the bike apart btw, i don't even take the wheels out, i just place it in the tub, give it some muc-off, leave it there for a couple of minutes and rinse it off. A quick driying with a towel, and its good to go.

OrPe

by OrPe

http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en/au/news/347

the exact text
"Q: I'm lazy and lack motivation, what can I do to prolong bearing life?
A: Stop washing your bike so much. We did some experiments with bikes that were washed a lot but ridden infrequently, bikes that were ridden a lot but washed infrequently, and bikes that were both washed and ridden a lot. Guess what? Your bike hates only being washed and not being ridden. This test group had the worst results. They became creaky and not much fun to be around, much like the people who own bikes like that. Don't get all angry (you know who you are), you can still wash your bike from time to time - and there are those times where it has to be done after every ride. Everything needs more attention during those times. BUT, maybe you should examine your priorities. It's a mountain bike. You can get dirt on it. It's OK."

obviously, a mountain bike company. i do think the same (or somewhat similar) philosophy should be used on road bikes as well.

i wash my bikes ~ once in two months... or more.
weather is nice where i live (actually too hot and humid)...

Oren

DMF

by DMF

I don't ever wash a bike with a hose of any sort, let alone a pressure washer. That is what kills bearings, not the part where you clean your bike every day. I found the most effective method for "dry cleaning" a bike to be baby wipes, the cheapest ones seem more effective, might not actually use those on an actual baby though.

What that method is a all about, is getting in a routine and being smart about it, i.e not using the wipe as a rag but more as a tool... For instance threading it thru a brake or derailleur and tugging on the ends, the same around tubes. Think dental floss...

Did I mention this is done in the living room with a minimum of floor cleanup up afterwards?

martinko

by martinko

How often and how you clean your bike also depends on where you store it. If you want to keep that place clean or protect other things there from getting dirty from bike (e.g. chain), you clean it often.

I do like DMF does, after every ride I dry clean drivetrain with paper towel (dirt from chain, and, especially, jockey wheels), and then frame and tires with wet drag. It's quick, almost no mess left on the ground, and the bike looks clean before every ride. Of course, if it is bad weather, it takes more time and effort.

AJS914

by AJS914

Between full washes which are infrequent, I use some quick detailer.Image

I clean/lube the chain maybe once a week with rock n roll gold. Liberally apply, wipe down chain. I'll also wipe the jockey wheels and front derailleur cage at the same time.

Overall, my bike always looks pretty nice.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

trex021

by trex021

Once a week. Unless it rains and then I wash it immediately. I ride daily. I rinse with a hose first with just a trickle of water pressure while wiping the frame with my bare hand to get the small grains of sand off. I clean the chain with a diluted degreaser. Then I use soap and water with a sponge on everything. I use a brush with soapy water to clean the cassette. Lube the chain and she's perfect. 30 minutes.