Smaller, lighter HR monitor?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

WonderSausage

by WonderSausage

It's 2015, we can buy a complete Windows PC in a USB stick, but HR monitors are still these clunky things that make an ugly non-aero bulge in the chest of my skinsuit. Doesn't anyone make a sleek, modern design? And USB recharge would be nice, I'm sick of buying stacks of CR2032s from eBay.

Years ago, Nalini made a pair of bib shorts with an integrated HR strap that mounted a Polar monitor on the back instead of the front, that was a good start but a dead end.

sanrensho

by sanrensho

There's already a biosensing fabric called Hitoe that picks up heart rate (with the data being transmitted to a smartphone app or device). Made by Toray, which we all know from carbon fibers.

Goldwin already makes a line of clothing using the fabric. So the future is base layers or garments made from biosensing fabric.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

junchen

by junchen

I use the wrist strap hrm by scosche. Charges by usb and pretty much as accurate as a chest strap hrm. Only thing is the batt life is not fantastic. Need to charge it every couple of rides

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

The impact on drag up front from a HR sensor is negligable and probably less than wearing something on your wrist. Are you really burning through batteries so fast that you require bulk purchasing? I change my sensor about once every one and a half years. The sensory fabrics have promise, but has anyone seen real world reviews on use or accuracy?

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

I've not had a garmin HRM last long enough to need a battery lol
Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

I can't actually remember changing the battery in a chest strap. They either got too manky to use anymore (there's only so much you can do with a damp cloth when the strap is being used for at least 10 sessions a week!), or I upgraded the watch end of the equation and got a new chest strap.

My new training "regime" the battery will probably rot away before it runs out........