S-Works Tarmac 2016 Chameleon - push the button?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

greentimgreen

by greentimgreen

Looking to swap my SWorks Allez for something a bit different: just as comfortable and usable, but reverting back to carbon over alu. Interesting bright paint finish is a must, and from a fit perspective I know that Specialized works well. I've seen the new SWorks chameleon finish and I think it fits the bill (reminds me of Klein), but it could be my last bike purchase for a few years (the time for responsibility grows ever nearer) so want to make sure it's the right choice. I'm a complete snob for a nice paint job, and I have my other bike for racing, so I'd weigh finish/aesthetics 50:50 with performance. Will mostly be used for mid-long weekend rides, in quite hilly areas. Light weight is always a factor.

Budget is no greater than the £2900 bracket for the SWorks. I'd love the limited edition pink Colnago C60, but at £3500 it's juuuussst out of reach.

I will be finishing with 3T / Ultegra mech or Red/Force22 with my existing Mavic Ksyrium SLRs.

Any obvious alternatives I should consider before pushing the button?!
Attachments
image.jpg
2014 Parlee Z-Zero DADi2 & ENVE (6.2kg)
2015 Colnago C60 RSWH Campag Chorus & Mavic SLR (c.7kg)

53x12

by 53x12

The last few Specialized bikes I have seen in person, I honestly haven't been that impressed with their paint and detail to be honest. Maybe the new '16 Specialized have gotten better in terms of paint quality and Q&C? I am not sure.

If you want 'interesting bright paint' then maybe take a look at Ritte? They offer some interesting paint schemes.

Have you thought about just getting a frame custom painted to look exactly like how you want it?
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

greentimgreen

by greentimgreen

It is nice, but perhaps I should wait to see it in the flesh. I considered Ritte a while back when building my Parlee but ruled them out due to reviews not being as strong. Time has passed since and they have new models out so I'll take another look.

I have also tried custom paint before - I resprayed my Condor Classico Pista but I went round and round and round before I reached a decision. I learned that I'm better off choosing someone else's design that I like...but that's just me.

tmchen

by tmchen

Pair it with a Paul Smith Kask Protone. [emoji106]

highdraw

by highdraw

That bike and color is effing awesome. Go for it.
Same frame just won the worlds so you are in pretty good company. :)
If you want to build a special bike, build it with Campy SR mechanical.

kgt

by kgt

Since you already have another bike for racing I would go for something more exclusive, custom or not.

greentimgreen

by greentimgreen

So quick update on this - I did push the button, but on a Colnago C60! Very unexpectedly I have to say, one came up in the sale in my size which meant I could pick it up for a smidge under the price of the SWorks. For me it was a no brainer, I wanted a Colnago for ever.

Currently being built up to spec, and I will be posting on here soon (though I doubt it will end up qualifying for the 6.8kg and under section!)

aerodynamiq

by aerodynamiq

Girlfriend ordered one. The paint looks great in person - I love the color transition from light blue to dark violet. Her bike will be built up with Roval CLX40 tubs, and Dura Ace 9000.
velonode.cc

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Haven't people got the imagination to think of something other than a Specialized?

aerodynamiq

by aerodynamiq

Valbrona wrote:Haven't people got the imagination to think of something other than a Specialized?

I'm bound by sponsorship.
velonode.cc

eric01

by eric01

Wow that paintjob is awesome. Like op said very Klein like. Should have never sold mine.
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

KWalker

by KWalker

I had the same paint job. I wouldn't prob pay the premium again. The paint quality was rather poor and the logos started flaking off. Happened to 3 teammates as well. They were really cheaply done- a coat of matte over the clear coat. My frame has since been repainted.

Bike rides awesome though. I had a Tarmac Expert as a loaner while my S-Works was in paint and I couldn't tell a single difference.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

tmchen wrote:Pair it with a Paul Smith Kask Protone.

THIS! :thumbup:
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop