Lightweight saddle similar to Fizik Aliante.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cdtf

by cdtf

Hi weight weenies!

I'm trying to lower the weight of my road bike.

My current saddle is an Aliante R1, and I'm in love with it. (65 kg rider, wide hips (I'm female), 174 cm)

But I'm trying to lose weight on the bike, and the saddle seems like an easy way to drop 100g. (current saddle is 185g).

I'm looking for feedback from people who switched from the Aliante to a lightweight saddle.

Do you have any suggestion?

Thank you!

mrgray

by mrgray

Hi,
I have nothing specific for you however I have just gone thru my own saddle search. I was on a Brooks C15. Loved it. 410g however. So then i tried a
- San Marco Regale Carbon FX (came on new bike). OK but 199g. Shape was fine but I tended to ship off it all the time. Like you i felt i needed to lose more weight on it.
- Then I try AX Lightness Endurance Plus (92g). Expensive. No good. I have wider sit bones and I am not light. Felt like it was headed toward my head.
- Then San Marco Aspide Carbon FX. Again expensive and 124g! Pretty good weight. Not an ideal fit.
- Then Fizik Antares 00. Terrible cost but 141 g and a great fit.

So I think your chances of dropping 100 g are slim to none unless you like 130 mm nude carbon and it is more likely you will spend big money and save in order of 60g at best and 30g more probably.

180 odd grams is not crazy heavy but i hear you.

Maybe post a pic of bike and tell us about components on it. Might find a cheaper way of shaving weight!
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

chupster98

by chupster98

I just replaced an Aliante Carbon K:ium (238 gr) with a Selle San Marco Concor Carbon FX (138 gr), the saddle feels great so far.

The change that surprised me the most was changing inner tubes to Continental Race 28 light and loosing 80 gr...!!!

The last change was switching the heavy stock Dura ace wheel skewer nuts with the alum nuts from a KCNC skewer set , loosing another few grams.

Hope that helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2020 Giant Revolt Advanced 0
2016 Giant TCR Advanced SL
2014 Santa Cruz 5010 CC

genebdr

by genebdr

if you want to give an AX a try let me know. I may be willing to part with the half cushioned

Wingnut

by Wingnut

I like the look of Fabric saddles...

RBJ2206

by RBJ2206

I've been looking at the fabric saddles. Look very nice.

Denavelo

by Denavelo

Be aware that those Fabric saddles are known to fall apart on sight. haha
I've been looking at them, and all of the online reviews I read about them are pretty bad.
no one has anything good to say about the durability of the Fabric saddles.
I could be into a 1/2 padded AX lightness saddle. The last carbon saddle (Tune Vom Kor) I used, gave me saddle sores from another planet!
That was the first time I've ever gotten saddle sores. THE WORST! I used a Carbon Fizik Arione for years with no issues.
Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Personally I went back to my SSM Regal (original not RegalE) from my Aliante...more durable, more support but heavier...

jrmynthn

by jrmynthn

I just posted a review of the Fabric Scoop Shallow Race saddle on my blog. You can read it here
While the model I reviewed was the Ti/Nylon, there is a carbon/carbon version that is about ~20grams lighter than your Aliante. They are comparable in shape and design but your weight savings would be marginal.

Another option would be to look and consider the Pro Logo Nago saddles. However as many suggested the weight savings your looking for will probably be found in an all naked carbon saddle from a more exotic brand like Tune, AX Lightness, Berk Composites etc.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com