Campagnolo 11spd Cassette on Ksyrium SLR - Spacer ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Westbank

by Westbank

I need to install a Campagnolo 11spd cassette on a new set of Ksyrium SLR. In the user guide, they indicate that a spacer is needed when installing a Campy 11spd cassette. Strange thing is that they don't include the spacer. I've read online that the new Campagnolo cassette body doesn't require the spacer for the Campy 11spd cassette. Anyone can confirm. Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Westbank

by Westbank

Thanks em3.

My situation is getting more confusing. Talked to technical support @ Chain Reaction Cycles (where wheelset was purchased) and they said the new Mavic Campagnolo freehub cassette body doesn't need a spacer for 11spd cassettes !!!

I guess I will need to call Mavic.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

In terms of fitting the cassette to the freehub, both 10 and 11-speed Campy fit just the same. ie the lockring will tighten up either OK.

There is a slight difference in that the 11-spd big sprocket is dished about 1mm closer to the wheel, so more attention needs to be paid to the inner RD stop to make sure there is no interference. This is not a new situation for Campy, on some of my wheels, a 10-spd setup can already be very close when on the big sprocket. It depends largely on the spoke type and pattern.

My old Ksyium SL's have straight pull bladed spokes on the DS and there is loads of room for an 11-speed cassette.

In your case, I'd be setting it up with the cassette without spacer and just checking carefully the RD stop setting and cage clearance. Just know that it can be close.

I have a second reason for this advice. Some frames have very tight clearance at the dropout. I discovered this on my older BMC SLC01, when there was binding the first time I installed a wheel with 11-speed cassette. The dropout was binding on the lockring. I then discovered that the 11-spd lockring was about 2.5mm thicker than the old one. Swapping with a 10-spd lockring fixed the problem.

So, pushing the cassette 0.55 mm further towards the dropout with a spacer could also cause a problem. Which is why I'd try it without first.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

Westbank

by Westbank

It's getting really ridiculous. Not even Mavic is able to give clear answer. They answered twice to my tweet with totally different answers.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Use your brain. Bikerjulio is spot-on.

I believe the Mavic freehub bodies have not changed in design - only in name. When Campag went 11 speed, Mavic just re-named their Campag freehub body 'ED11', but it is the exact same item as ED-10. And with ED-11 they supply the 11 speed spacer.

Westbank

by Westbank

The issue is that Mavic is not providing a spacer with the ED11 freehub body. It has to be ordered separately.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

You're talking about new Ksyriums, right? No spaced is required for Campy 11sp cassettes. Early on there was an issue for about a half a production run and, depending on which cassette you were running, it could be too close to the flange. The solution was the .55mm spacer. But that only affected a relatively few users. With a new wheel, no spacer.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

My recently purchased Aksiums with ED11 Campagnolo freehub body came with the 11 speed spacer supplied.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com