LOOK 795 or Time Skylon can't decide

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Daveaero

by Daveaero

Hi, Everybody new to the site. I need some advice on what bike I should get. Currently in the market for a high end road race bike. The two bikes in the subject line are the ones i'm focusing on the most for various reasons. I want speed/performance, great on climbs, and descends but equally important is overall comfort. However, there's also a bling factor involved as it's also a dream bike of sorts once fully equipped.

I like Time's fork technology but, some say it only works at certain speeds and on certain roads? Therefore, not worth the weight penalty which after I reviewed the stats, I don't feel it's an issue. But, if it doesn't last long losing its effectiveness then it's not worth the price premium which is most relevant. Both bikes have an exclusivity factor due their respective price tags and limited availability making them rare beast on the road. I think LOOK's 795 is bold and daring love it or hated kind of deal but, maybe the best innovation for aero road bikes on the market. However, with that said, the Time Skylon continues to grow on me with their Tmd fork and the Vectran fiber technology.

I realize their are many great bikes out there and probably at better values. However, I really would like some opinions on these two specifically as this is where I've centered my focus, although i'm open to suggestions. Basically, I'm looking for a high performance super bike with every mechanical advantage possible without sacrificing comfort for performance and vice versa.
Any insight will be appreciated.

MiddMan

by MiddMan

Welcome to WW Daveaero. Let me just say that I think they're both great bikes from an aesthetic standpoint. I'm looking into getting the Skylon myself, although the Look has something unique about it--I also think it's better looking than the Venge. I would like to hear more about Time's AKTIV tuned damper from people who have actually used or tested it. There's a shortage of information out there. With the AKTIV, and accounting for the seat post, you're actually only looking at a weight penalty of a mere 20 grams. The question is: is it as structurally sound as a regular fork (it appears to have a cut out)? Again, I don't know, just a question worth putting out there. Another question, will you be using this for racing or just a bike to enjoy? (Personally, I wouldn't use any high-end frame for racing unless I was sponsored or very well heeled--not worth the risk of crashing, but that's just me.)

Whichever you choose, good luck with the build and don't hold back on a dream bike :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Daveaero

by Daveaero

MiddMan wrote:Welcome to WW Daveaero. Let me just say that I think they're both great bikes from an aesthetic standpoint. I'm looking into getting the Skylon myself, although the Look has something unique about it--I also think it's better looking than the Venge. I would like to hear more about Time's AKTIV tuned damper from people who have actually used or tested it. There's a shortage of information out there. With the AKTIV, and accounting for the seat post, you're actually only looking at a weight penalty of a mere 20 grams. The question is: is it as structurally sound as a regular fork (it appears to have a cut out)? Again, I don't know, just a question worth putting out there. Another question, will you be using this for racing or just a bike to enjoy? (Personally, I wouldn't use any high-end frame for racing unless I was sponsored or very well heeled--not worth the risk of crashing, but that's just me.)

Whichever you choose, good luck with the build and don't hold back on a dream bike :)

Thanks for the response MiddMan. I read your previous thread on similar bike options and it seems like were in the same boat. I read some comments questioning the longevity or overall effectiveness of the TMD. If this is true it's a stickler for me because it's a big reason why I'd take a chance and buy it. I also like the Venge but, it's getting close to "buy time" if I want to salvage the rest of this summer so, for me and I'm trying to narrow it down. I will admit, The Venge gives you the best "bang for your buck" stock as they provide great wheels and a powermeter! The S-works dominates the peloton so, it's a great bike too. And, no I'm not a racer per se, although i may decide to enter local TT one day. But, all I really want is a high performance "bling" bike that gives an orgasmic ride feel and is a dream to look at. I've been leaning Skylon lately but the LOOK 795 is my love at first sight bike. So IDK but keep us posted on your purchase and review as I will do the same both bikes need more retail consumer reviews on the net.

RustyWest

by RustyWest

I'm new to WW and logged on to research wheel options. This thread was on the home page so I just had to post my 1.5 cents worth.

My local bike shop is a Look dealer and the owner is a buddy of mine. I've been drooling over the 795 Aerolight Premium for a while so he got his Look rep to drop off a demo last night for me to ride this weekend. It's a 795 Light Premium (not the Aerolight). It's an Ultegra Di2 build with Mavic Cosmic Carbon SL wheels.

My regular bike is a Neil Pryde Alize, Dura Ace 9070 Di2, Vision Metron 40 wheels with DT Swiss hubs and Ceramic bearings. I love it by the way.

Back to the Look. For such a light frame it was a bit heavy because of the groupo and wheel set so I wasn't expecting it to be stellar - I could not have been more wrong. This thing is a rocket ship!!! It also doesn't jar your fillings loose on rough roads.

I was hoping I wouldn't fall in love with it due to financial reasons. TOO LATE. The paint is spectacular, the fit and finish is near flawless and the ride is mesmerizing.

Best of luck in selecting your dream bike - I may just have found mine

Daveaero

by Daveaero

RustyWest wrote:I'm new to WW and logged on to research wheel options. This thread was on the home page so I just had to post my 1.5 cents worth.

My local bike shop is a Look dealer and the owner is a buddy of mine. I've been drooling over the 795 Aerolight Premium for a while so he got his Look rep to drop off a demo last night for me to ride this weekend. It's a 795 Light Premium (not the Aerolight). It's an Ultegra Di2 build with Mavic Cosmic Carbon SL wheels.

My regular bike is a Neil Pryde Alize, Dura Ace 9070 Di2, Vision Metron 40 wheels with DT Swiss hubs and Ceramic bearings. I love it by the way.

Back to the Look. For such a light frame it was a bit heavy because of the groupo and wheel set so I wasn't expecting it to be stellar - I could not have been more wrong. This thing is a rocket ship!!! It also doesn't jar your fillings loose on rough roads.

I was hoping I wouldn't fall in love with it due to financial reasons. TOO LATE. The paint is spectacular, the fit and finish is near flawless and the ride is mesmerizing.

Best of luck in selecting your dream bike - I may just have found mine

Hey Rusty, thanks for responding I need all the knowledgable opinions I can get. It's interesting you found that set up a bit heavy because I too rode a similar set up and felt the same way. But, I didn't get as long a "test ride" as you likely did and wasn't clipped in. I think it's those wheels they felt really heavy to me that day. Anyhow, what you touched on is exactly what i want in the LOOK. It's supposed to feel fast and comfortable at the same time. I want to "feel" the power transfer from the BB propelling me forward and with a campy wheelset forget about it. Couple points of concern on the LOOK though; for one, I would like to keep the Zed2 crankset but, use campy components elsewhere but not sure if compatibility will be an issue. Second, there's new color scheme that the team used in the TDF this year in its final week that I like to see up close but it's not available in the US yet. Finally, my decision may be most influenced by the shop I buy from. The store where I can buy the LOOK is really cool and I liked the atmosphere when i was there. The guys are very knowledgable and very willing to talk in depth about the bikes. The other shop where I'd buy the TIME Skylon is well known and has everything but, I didn't get that road biker fraternity feel that sometimes eases the nerves when making such a large purchase. Again, both bikes are great and you can't go wrong either way. It's just that for that kind of money, I want every placebo effect possible along with a very real mechanical advantage
Last edited by Daveaero on Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

The Look bike is something really special. Honestly, i think i might go for Look 795 of these two.
But i still find that all that integration worries me.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

tomyboy123

by tomyboy123

New 795 2016 already have ZED 3 crank.
http://www.look-bikes.de/look-795-light ... b4Cd_lRmAp

I build this one for my friend, back in march and he said, this frame is just unbelievable, fast, responsive, comfortable, etc. :up:

Daveaero

by Daveaero

[quote="tomyboy123"]New 795 2016 already have ZED 3 crank.
http://www.look-bikes.de/look-795-light ... b4Cd_lRmAp

I build this one for my friend, back in march and he said, this frame is just unbelievable, fast, responsive, comfortable, etc. :up:

Thanks Tomyboy, that's the frame I'm was looking for unfortunately, I don't think it's available in the U.S. at least, not yet. But, It may be worth the wait. I want something before the summer ends but I may need wait a few months if really want that frame. I have question for you Tomyboy or, anyone familiar with these cranks. Is it possible to switch to Q rings and keep the ZED3 or Zed2 Crank? I want Q rings for the bling factor and performance but compatablity concerns are always there. But, thanks Tomyboy for that upload you may have swung the pendulum back in LOOK' favor at little. I think if this frame is available here in the US in the next couple weeks I'll soon be posting my new LOOK 795 fully equipped.

Funny, looking over those pics i see you've committed the felony of mixing a Shimano derailleur and cassette with campy wheels. I'm surprised your still alive to show it. sorry, just being silly but, good to know this doesn't change the quality of the ride. It's also the only LOOK 795 with campy wheels I've seen on the net so far and I've been searching.
Last edited by Daveaero on Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Daveaero

by Daveaero

To wheelsOnfire, thanks for your 2cents as well, I'm taking all honest opinions into account.

RustyWest

by RustyWest

Hey DaveAero,

My test ride was 40 miles clipped in with lots of climbs. Even though the bike felt heavy, it didn't ride heavy. Power transfer was very impressive and downhills were extremely stable. I swapped the wheels with my Vision Metrons (brake pads too) so I can see how much difference it makes. I'll post later today after my ride.

We were discussing Campy EPS Super Record vs. Shimano Dura Ace Di2 for the build. The thought was European bike, European Groupo. Both are compatible with the frame (and the campy carbon work is stunning) but Look designed the frame to work very well with the Di2 groupo so that's the one I think we are going to use.

BTW, the red anodized bearing caps on the wheel hubs and the yellow break pads look great with the paint scheme. Subtle but nice.

Best,

Rusty

Daveaero

by Daveaero

That'll be cool RustyWest, looking for to your insights. I assume your riding the current pro-team colors for 2015. Tomboy123 uploaded a link with the 2016 colors and I loved that when i saw the team riding it in the final week stages. But not sure if it's only a limited edition.

RustyWest

by RustyWest

DaveAero,

Just put a few miles on it with the Vision Metron 40's. Because of the over abundance of goat's head thorns in our area this time of year I'm running 23mm Gatorskins with slimelight tubes. They add weight in the worst possible place - farthest outside point of the rotating mass. That said, they made a fairly noticeable difference. I run a standard crankset 53/39 and the demo has 50/36 rings so it's a bit under geared for me. Even with all that it's still much faster than my current ride and will certainly be replacing it soon.

I probably should have mentioned that my buddy who loaned me the Look suggested I change the wheels out for comparison purposes. I would never suggest turning a wrench on someone else's equipment without prior consent.

Please let us know what you decide.

if you tell me how to upload images I'll post a few pics.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Zed3 = aero version from appearance.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

tomyboy123

by tomyboy123

Daveaero wrote: I have question for you Tomyboy or, anyone familiar with these cranks. Is it possible to switch to Q rings and keep the ZED3 or Zed2 Crank? I want Q rings for the bling factor and performance but compatablity concerns are always there.

http://www.rotorbikeusa.com/pdf/rotor-q ... -crank.pdf

Why installing Q-rings, when new, all black Look rings made by Praxis looks awesome?
Last edited by tomyboy123 on Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tomyboy123

by tomyboy123

Daveaero wrote:Funny, looking over those pics i see you've committed the felony of mixing a Shimano derailleur and cassette with campy wheels. I'm surprised your still alive to show it. sorry, just being silly but, good to know this doesn't change the quality of the ride. It's also the only LOOK 795 with campy wheels I've seen on the net so far and I've been searching.

Well, personally still one of the best looking wheels on the market and od top of that, bullet proof.
So why don't have best of both worlds?
I'll buy campy wheels over shimano any day. :wink:
Last edited by tomyboy123 on Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.