Suitable bike for an uphill finish

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Vallinotti

by Vallinotti

Hi all,

This weekend I will race Brazilian masters nationals. I`m looking for a good result but not sure in which bike to use. The route is not such selective , but not completely flat. It just has few small climbs in approximately 1km and 5% and the uphill finish with 4.3km and 4% grade. I`m quite right that this would be decided in this very last climb, therefore I would like to hear some of you about my choice:

bike #1 Parlee ESX with DA 9070
bike #2 Ax-Lightness Vial Evo D with Sram Red 22

I have some wheelsets avaliable:

Roval CLX 40 23mm clincher tires
Zipp 404 Firestrike 25mm clincher tires
Enve SES 3.4 23mm clincher tires
Lighweight Meilenstein Obermayer 22mm tubular tires

I guess that the AX bike with LW would be superb in this finish but I would suffer when exposed to cross winds in case of a breakaway. The 404 wheelset I`m already rule out of my mind. So my major question is concerning go or not with Aero and how the light bike would help to have a good result. Please let me know your thoughts.
Last edited by Vallinotti on Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Vallinotti

by Vallinotti

In this Strava segment ,the race begins at the Km 7 and finishes at the Km 98.5.

https://www.strava.com/activities/310349976/segments/7317432685

kode54

by kode54

pair up bike #2 with the Enve SES 3.4. if any steeper, put the Obermayer on.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Whichever is the most aero of those wheels. Probaby the 404s or the Enve SES 3.4.

Weight, particularly amongst those wheels, is going to be of little consequence compared to the aerodynamics. 4%? You should still be carrying a good amount of speed at that sort of incline.

urt

by urt

Ride the one you like the most. In the end it comes down to the day and the legs...
works in the industry

53x12

by 53x12

Parlee ESX with Zipp 404 or the Enve SES 3.4
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

MNX1024

by MNX1024

My opinion will be the Parlee ESX with the Enve 3.4.

mimason

by mimason

Easy. Ride the break away with the Parlee and 404s, destroy the field and take the podium.

eric

by eric

The route is relatively flat and the hills are not steep. Aero is more important than weight (assuming you fit well on and like the ride of both bikes).

Good luck!

djconnel

by djconnel

I'd go with the Lightweight wheels with the tubular tires. Less likely to flat and good tubs properly glued are going to have good rolling resistance.

On the bike that's a good question -- it's pretty close I think. Tie goes to the one you feel better on.

drchull

by drchull

Holy crap, I wouldn't race either of those, would be too afraid of losing them.

Given the grade I would go with the most aero of the wheels. Better to conserve most energy for the finish given fairly low grade. Wither the Enves or the Zipps, not sure which is actually more aero. I would favour the 25mm tires as I always prefer 25mm for ride so would lean toward the Zipps.

Aero trumps weight in almost all situations.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Sounds like a flat route. Aero wheels win over light ones. I also would not race anything I could not afford to replace. I can't afford any of that kit. I race a £200 steel frame from the early nineties. It's a nice one or I would not have even paid that.

If you break and ride to a win you will do it on any of those bike and wheels you have none of it is shabby kit. If you have pick and you do those enve's or zipp's would be the aero choice.

Vallinotti

by Vallinotti

Thanks for all replies.
I decided to ride with the Ax lightness bike with Roval wheelset. My choice was based on the critical parts of course specifically, I would like the best bike for the final climb. Overall I did a good race. I was in the front group (5 guys) at 1km to go when one of them crashed against my rear wheel. The result was a flat tire and one broke spoke. Luckily, I hadn't chosen the Obermayer wheelset ,I DNF though.

Sent from my SM-G900M using Tapatalk

MRM

by MRM

Tough luck, man. Good job on being where you needed to be to have a shot at winning though.

53x12

by 53x12

Sorry to hear about the DNF. At least you have it your best shot.

What happened to the guy that hit your wheel? Did he have damage as well?
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com