Praxis works bb30 problem

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

treetrees

by treetrees

Ok chaps so I have just fitted dura ace 9000 mechanical to my caad10 everything went just swell , and as the caad 10 is bb30 I thought I'd put a lovely praxis works bb conversion on so that I can use the DA chainset. Fitting was a breeze and I slid the DA chainset in and did up the preload bolt then tightened the crank arm bolts at this point I felt pretty smug with myself , then I put pressure on either side of the crank arms to check for movement and what do you know there was movement . I checked everything stripped it all and refitted but there was still movement . After a call with the uk praxis distributor it turns out that mine was probably a 1st generation hence it has black delrin seals and not orange. After a couple of hours thinking I decided to take the black delrin seals off and replaced them with some of a race face bb seals which fitted like a glove . Once I reinstalled everything and tightened the crank bolts off low and behold it was sorted. It seems that the tolerance on the black delrin seals isn't tight enough . Has anyone else come across this ?

Multebear

by Multebear

Was it a brand new bb you used?

I bought a praxis works bb conversion for my caad 10 a month ago. I have a 105, 5800 group set. Chainset has the same dimensions as my 9000 dura ace chainset from the other bike, only difference is looks and materials, but same design. The bb came with orange seals and had no problems with the fit.
Last edited by Multebear on Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

treetrees

by treetrees

Yeah brand new bb just must have been old stock I guess .

clipsed

by clipsed

Slightly off topic, but how much EXTRA weight is the praxis shimano converter over just regular bb30??

treetrees

by treetrees

Sorry clipsed being weight weenies I should of weighed it but being to eager to get it done it kind of slipped my mind . It's not light so I would think that it's probably 80 grams + on top of the the bearing weight , that's just a guess mind .