Carbon Frame Bike Security

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Fastfwd

by Fastfwd

I just got in a new security chain for any prospective new carbon bike that I might buy soon and I'm a little concerned that it is so heavy that it could damage the frame. Is there any validity to my concern? I know I see how it is advised to not use a bike rack that hangs carbon bikes from the top tube, but is that due to bumps, etc. causing impact damage?

I, unfortunately, live in an area where I really need to use the highest level of security to deter theft. I don't believe there is any way to use a ULock in my garage.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sungod

by sungod

unless you hit the bike with the chain it won't do any harm to the cf, but use one that has a fabric or soft plastic cover otherwise it'll certainly damage the surface lacquer/paint over time

is it your garage or shared? if it's yours then you are free to fit a wall mount bike hanger and an anchor, you can position things to allow use of a u-lock - this is exactly what i do, xena make big u-locks which give plenty of room

mounting up on the wall makes use of manual bolt cutters impractical, even big chais can be cut if they're at floor level, but power tools will cut anything

there's no perfect security but you could fit an alarm to give some extra discouragement, go for a loud one that'll damage hearing of anyone lingering in the garage

MRM

by MRM

I'd recommend what I use myself. Get an ABUS folding lock. It has a silicone covering that does not damage the paint/carbon/clear coat. Can be mounted to the bottle cage screws on your bike (replacing 1 bottle cage). Easily weighs over a kg, so not a weight weenie solution though. :wink:

ricey155

by ricey155

Good call on that lock

Sent from my MI PAD using Tapatalk

kulivontot

by kulivontot

http://tigrlock.com
Also this guy.

ricey155

by ricey155

If I needed a lock for travel that would be perfect :-)

Sent from my MI PAD using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sungod

by sungod

yes, i got a tigr for when i go abroad with the bike

on the flight or when i ride into town for the shopping, it saves about 2 kg vs. a comparably secure u-lock or chain