Those that have made the move from Clinchers to Tubs

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CulBaire

by CulBaire

For those people that have been thinking of going to tubs from clinchers, and have made the move, especially for things like flatting/fixing and general perceived faff of this over a normal clincher can I ask what you think?
Sure I will play; I ended up on Tubs for different reasons; I was building a new bike and come across a set of cheap Cosmic Carbone Sl’s tubular wheels I liked – I’d used tubs on an MTB before so was well aware how well they worked in that context and figured why not give them a try! The perceived faff is just that “perceived” gluing up Tubs isn’t particularly difficult and well worth it if you are rolling around on nice ones.

Are you happy you did?
Yes, I went from one set of tubular wheels to three sets in the space of only a few months, not looking back!

What’s it like compared to a clincher when you puncture?
I will preface my response by saying you have got to look after them, wipe them down after each ride and pull out the bits of flints or glass (if any)… That out of the way I find I tend to puncture a lot LESS than when I had clinchers so the inconvenience is less in that regards, I also carry sealant and CO2 which will fix the problem 8/10 times; given I have done 24,000kms on the “new” bike and called the team car (read wife) only twice I think is testament to how well they work…

The weight saving and what most people say is a better ride appeals over the clincher for me. Especially for the hills.
Negligible for me but I am rolling 303/404 and 404/404 wheels with 25mm tires in the flatlands of Geeeeelong so I am not too fussed about weight.

I use tubs all the time for both every day riding and racing I love them and certainly won’t be going back – it is important to learn how to glue them up, look after them and also understand the importance of using good tires.

nibby

by nibby

@Culbaire, great reply, thanks for that and others for help.

Now ordered my first set of Tubs :)

I've got someone to show me how to glue and a bit of expert advice so cant wait now :)

all the best

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

One other thing you may want to know, when gluing tubular carbon rims make sure you ruff up the carbon surface with very light sandpaper or brillo pad as the glue does not readily stick well to the smooth rim surface. Definitely put a couple layers of glue on the carbon rims.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Never had to rough up a carbon rim for gluing. Never had a tub move either. You'll like tubs. Shame there is no disc brake tubular rim that takes a road tyre.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

yeah, I must say I'm yet to make up my mind.. a month ago or so I bought a set of used Boras from a pal of mine - 1st gen, ceramics, look and roll like new. I punctured on the very first ride.. and with clinchers (ProII Race) I haven't punctured in years, didn't even know what to do, how to behave etc :lol: I put a new set of rubber, Vittoria Evo Corsa CX, and been riding them since.

the ride's great, like I expected it to be, there's a huge weight difference (been riding Cosmics for years), there's that 'feel', but.. BUT! at the same time, with Cosmics I was confident enough to drive through a forrest if I had to, a dirt road or a crappy tarmac was no problem either. now I pick my route carefully, slow down everytime there's *something* on the road. and I have to carry a spare tire, which isn't cool at all. I ride mostly in rolling terrain, more towards flat I guess. the accelarations, uphills, cornering (maybe) are better with tubes (and Boras). but after hitting the desired speed, kill me, but I don't feel the difference. and I'd swear Cosmics were better when hammering really fast, like 45+ kph.

all in all I want to love them, I really do want to make the transition fully, but somehow I fear there's too much to sacrifice. OK, with my first CF frameset I was cautious too, but then I was only starting to really ride my bike. guess I'll wait till the end of the season to decide. or untill I puncture twice 2 hours from home...
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

nibby

by nibby

@Tymon - Good review.

Did you try some sealant when you punctured? I will probably carry a tube of something like Stans and if going a fair way from home a spare tub.

I've heard with a decent set of tyres something like Veloflex Roubaix/Arenberg and also heard good things about the Vittoria Corsa CX will help so will be interesting to see how you get on.

Going for a 2015 Bora, keen to try them and see. The puncture side of things does worry me a little but having read and taken advice it's something that now worries me less.

Performance is key, especially on the hills (i'm a climber not a powerful flat rider) and the feel important.

Good to hear positives and negatives. Now I just have to wait as the wheels currently out of stock :)

Cheers

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

bm0p700f wrote:Never had to rough up a carbon rim for gluing. Never had a tub move either. You'll like tubs. Shame there is no disc brake tubular rim that takes a road tyre.

The first time I had a flat with a carbon rim I noticed that when I peeled the old tub off most of the glue came with the tire leaving very little on the rim surface itself. I decided to rough the surface to allow the glue to adhere to the rim more efficiently.

McGilli

by McGilli

I made the switch to tubular just for my WW bike a month ago. 3 rides in - got a flat today. I was riding - and all of a sudden my legs were getting wet on the back side. I looked down thinking maybe my water bottle was leaking etc - but then realized it was the rear wheel. I had put some Tufo sealant in the wheel prior. I was only about 10 miles from home. The sealant didn't work. The size of the hole in the tire, was pin size - yet all the sealant just kept spraying out. Luckily I carry a fair bit of co2 so I was able to stop every 10 minutes and give it another shot etc etc... limping home.

So.

If I'd had my clinchers - I would have swapped the tube in 2 minutes and been on my way. With the tubulars I had to limp home - now I have to look forward to removing the tire, stripping the wheel of all residue - re-prepping the wheel - mounting another tire... A few days work. As opposed to a few minutes.

I ordered tubular wheels after years of people saying if you want a light bike you need tubulars - but - it's barely true. Tubular tires are the same weight as a decent clincher/tube combo (unless u go for a <200g tubular [which i did]... So now I've ordered heavier duty tires, with heavier weight - and all in all - I could have bought a nice set of lightweight clinchers - paid a few hundred grams in weight penalty at most - and been much happier.

So - that's my experience going to tubulars after many many years of clinchers...

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I always carry a spare tub with me for flats,I have never used the messy goop for flats. Tire changes are never longer than what it would take me to change a clincher. I did however change my trainers from Vittoria Rally to Vittoria Elites and have had far less flats since then. They cost a little more but the frustration factor is considerably lower. I will always run Tubs.

AJS914

by AJS914

I've used tubulars for racing but I'd never use them for training. Too much trouble.

-edit - I typed that backwards. Corrected.
Last edited by AJS914 on Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fogman

by fogman

^^So you race with clinchers and train with tubulars???
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

ricey155

by ricey155

Tubs are just easy but here's my issue this week always carry a pump and gas :-) I run tufo s33 pros all year but Thursday the tyre bulged and punctured luckily the tufo extreme sealant did its job and got me back !! The zefal gas cart on the other hand didn't :-( back to the hand pump just to be safe ! Luckily a guy had a track pump and saved my day #peopleRgreat

Check them every ride :-) just to be safe

Sent from my MI PAD using Tapatalk

noctilux

by noctilux

I use my tubulars on carbon wheelsets for remote group rides and our Sunday rides close to home. Using tubes on during group rides means that I will have a 2nd and 3rd set of hands to help me change as well as pump up to 100 psi. Should there be a problem with my spare on a Sunday, I just take a cab back home since it's close by. I've have either gatorskins of competitions tubes on my wheels.
My main training bikes still use campy shamals with standard clinchers and use them for days with possibility of rain (we have 8 months of rain in this part of Asia). With clinchers riding alone, I can replace the inner tubes or patch them in the field if required and the tires are more economical. Nothing beats the ride of tubulars though.
What I gave up on are the road tubeless tires. When they fail, they fail miserably and cannot be repaired. We are lucky since in our side of town, there's an old chap who repairs tubulars while you wait!

mrgray

by mrgray

i made the change on my return to cycling start of the year. Thought "why not". I've found tufo extreme is the business. I've had Caffe latex and PitStop not work on occasion. About 3,000 km's had 4 punctures. (lots of stuff round here). Carry tufo (60 ml bottle) and spare tyre. no dramas so far.

My impression is that the availability of effective sealant has changed the game.

On the weekend i had a 190g veloflex record on front and 220g velofelx extreme on rear. grip, rolling felt great. they are beautiful to ride on and as someone else pointed out, spend tonnes on wheels and then compromise with rubber? no need to now days i think, though for some reason lots of people who don't ride them have strong negative opinions about them.

if you are going to do it i recommend trying veloflex out. other tyres might have better puncture resistance but if going to go tubulars go the whole hog. fmb carbons (i think) also highly recommended. for instance i had 24 mm schwalbes on my bike and no punctures but rode a bit stiff i thought unless pressure was exactly right.

superglue used to fill cuts you find when you inspect them post ride at home.

oh and i also stop and brush them off if i go thru some glass etc. but i think that counts for clinchers or tubs.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ricey155

by ricey155

I've had bad experiences with conti's and Vittoria Evo - tufo's are 260g I best buy some veloflex gain some experience and maybe help me climb better [CLAPPING HANDS SIGN] lighter

Cheers for sharing

mrgray wrote:i made the change on my return to cycling start of the year. Thought "why not". I've found tufo extreme is the business. I've had Caffe latex and PitStop not work on occasion. About 3,000 km's had 4 punctures. (lots of stuff round here). Carry tufo (60 ml bottle) and spare tyre. no dramas so far.

My impression is that the availability of effective sealant has changed the game.

On the weekend i had a 190g veloflex record on front and 220g velofelx extreme on rear. grip, rolling felt great. they are beautiful to ride on and as someone else pointed out, spend tonnes on wheels and then compromise with rubber? no need to now days i think, though for some reason lots of people who don't ride them have strong negative opinions about them.

if you are going to do it i recommend trying veloflex out. other tyres might have better puncture resistance but if going to go tubulars go the whole hog. fmb carbons (i think) also highly recommended. for instance i had 24 mm schwalbes on my bike and no punctures but rode a bit stiff i thought unless pressure was exactly right.

superglue used to fill cuts you find when you inspect them post ride at home.

oh and i also stop and brush them off if i go thru some glass etc. but i think that counts for clinchers or tubs.

Sent from my MI PAD using Tapatalk