Carbon Saddles: any generic eBay models that you own & like?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

PDK

by PDK

I'm thinking about ordered one, at ~$35 there's not much lose if it sucks. I have a Specialized Alias 145 (280g), a generic carbon at $35 and 100g would be ~5.5g lost per dollar.

Second question: Do you know of any models with wide wings? The Alias at 145mm is a little narrow for me

prebsy

by prebsy

I've got a generic SMP. It is alright but definitely not 100% to spec. It rides well but the rails are short and the finish quality speaks to the price. I'd agree with you that it's super cheap what do you have to lose. I haven't seen many that are very wide, maybe a toupe look a like?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PDK

by PDK

I just spent a lot of time going through the offerings on eBay and aliexpress. It looks like there are 2 main carbon saddle designs coming out of China, with a million different paint schemes slapped on top of them

Type 1 is 128mm, it has curvy wings and no center cut-out.

Type 2 is "135 - 145"mm. It has a center cut-out and wider, sharper wings with small cut-outs at the end of each.

I've seen Type 2 listed in some places as a firm 140mm, but that might be the listing author averaging the "135-145" quote I see all over. There is certainly no size-selection option in any listing for Type 2.

There are some hilarious De Rosa, San Marco, and Specialized prints on some of them. I really like the Type one with neon yellow TIME written on it. But probably will go for a Type 2 and hope it's close to 145

Aliexpress has the best prices. I've found each style for $18 shipped.

KarlC

by KarlC

PDK wrote:Aliexpress has the best prices. I've found each style for $18 shipped.

Got a link to the one you are looking at ?

Thx
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

aronjancso

by aronjancso

Type one is a Selle San Marco Aspide Superleggera replica with shorter clamp section on the rails. Type two is a Toupe replica. Have both of them, type1 is 128 mm wide, type2 is 140 mm, they are 95g and 112g. Rails are almost the same, maybe from same mould. Type1 is flexier and more comfy for me, but I'm lightweight and have narrow sit bones. The edges of type one are eating shorts very quickly.

Have no info on wider ones.

PDK

by PDK

KarlC wrote:
PDK wrote:Aliexpress has the best prices. I've found each style for $18 shipped.

Got a link to the one you are looking at ?

Thx

I've got a new account so I can't post links until I get to 30 posts. But search Aliexpress for...

• "Stock MTB/ Road Bike Full Carbon Fibre Saddle Carbon Bicycle Saddle MTB Carbon Seat Fast shippingIn" -- for a Type 2 at $17.59
  • "2015 fizik carbon saddle full carbon seat saddle men (women) use saddle top saddle bike parts bicycles parts with red" -- for Type 1 at $20.00
  • "New Arrival TIME carbon saddle bike seats selle carbon road bike saddle for men selle carbon seat cushion" -- Favorite paint jobs. Time in neon green

PDK

by PDK

aronjancso wrote:Type one is a Selle San Marco Aspide Superleggera replica with shorter clamp section on the rails. Type two is a Toupe replica. Have both of them, type1 is 128 mm wide, type2 is 140 mm, they are 95g and 112g. Rails are almost the same, maybe from same mould. Type1 is flexier and more comfy for me, but I'm lightweight and have narrow sit bones. The edges of type one are eating shorts very quickly.

Have no info on wider ones.

Thanks.

F45

by F45

The Merek offerings. I use the one with the suspension system and cut out.

Marin

by Marin

I had one of the Toupe shape ones. It was as hard as a bathroom tile and almost as comfy. A stripped SLR is lighter and much more comfortable. However, I found a pre-owned Tune Speedneedle and it's lighter and more comfortable (for me) than an SLR again.

trex021

by trex021

I had a Toupe shaped one. I found it quite comfortable. I normally ride a real Toupe FWIW. What did happen with the fake one, however, is the saddle rails became loose inside the structure where they attach to the seat. The squeaking on every pedal stroke drove me crazy. It went to the trash can. I've got two friends with the same saddle and it hasn't happened to them. They're still using theirs.

AndrewL

by AndrewL

I have two of the SMP Full Carbon clones and really like them. Yes, the rails are shorter than the real thing, and I can't speak for the long-term durability since I've only used them for a few hundred miles. But I have never owned a carbon saddle that's more comfortable. I did a century last week and never never felt the need to stand up due to saddle discomfort. In fact, I like these saddles better than my Selle SMP Evolution. I just hope that they hold up for a very long time.
Andrew "Jersey" L

racingtiger

by racingtiger

prebsy wrote:I've got a generic SMP. It is alright but definitely not 100% to spec. It rides well but the rails are short and the finish quality speaks to the price. I'd agree with you that it's super cheap what do you have to lose. I haven't seen many that are very wide, maybe a toupe look a like?

Could you post some pictures of your saddle? And maybe a link?
NOW WITH MORE FLAVOR THAN KOOL-AID!

I'm 129 lbs! How's that for light!

PDK

by PDK

racingtiger wrote:
prebsy wrote:I've got a generic SMP. It is alright but definitely not 100% to spec. It rides well but the rails are short and the finish quality speaks to the price. I'd agree with you that it's super cheap what do you have to lose. I haven't seen many that are very wide, maybe a toupe look a like?

Could you post some pictures of your saddle? And maybe a link?

I think I found some. a good option that I missed at $35 -- I might switch to this instead of Type 1

Search aliexpress for "2015 new full carbon saddle Hollow design full carbon fiber road Bicycle Accessories cycling saddle for men women seat cushion"

shimmeD

by shimmeD

Tell us how you find it, won't you, PDK?
Less is more.

KarlC

by KarlC

C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com