201x Specialized Allez Sprint DSW and Gen2

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

Personally, I really like the purple. I considered getting one of the Comp's or the '17 Expert's they had in stock and stripping them. Honestly, I wasn't a huge fan of the Orange/Yellow or the Monster Green that they had in stock. That, and one of the shop guys has the green, and I really didn't want to have the same bike.

Considered trying to find the white Elite, or the brushed Comp, but they just seemed kinda bland. For me, the matte black frames just seem a bit too subdued. The purple isn't bland, but it's not screaming "hey look at me" like some of the other colors.

I don't know, just my personal opinion.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

Kayo wrote:Hope no one has to go through the wait I have. Paid deposit first week of June. LBS told me that there were no more 49 to be made and would have to accept a 52, 2 weeks since I heard from them. Live on the islands so they are the only game in town and had bought a BB30 crankset so I'm sort of committed. I currently have Spec customer care trying to figure it out with the sales team.

At least I've got to watch all of you build some pretty bikes =D

Kayo, that sucks that they couldn't get the frame you want in your size. Have you considered getting the full bike and selling off the components you don't need, or are those not available either? Not sure how your shop does it, I didn't pay a deposit, I paid for the full thing. If I'd been waiting since June I'd be at the point of discussing the option of getting my money back. That's a bit rediculous IMHO.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pyrahna

by pyrahna

redna12 wrote:Does allez sprint come in single gear in 2018?

To the best of my knowledge all 2018 Allez Sprints have a front derailleur hanger and a rear derailleur hanger and appropriate rear hub spacing.

The first year they made them they did not have the front derailleur hanger in the U.S. (maybe other places).

Specialized has never sold a fixed gear frame to the public. They have only provided them to sponsored racers in the Red Hook series.

morganb

by morganb

Ended up buying the Sagan frame. Gonna swap the Di2 over from my Tarmac then put eTap from an S3 that I am selling onto that. I have a pair of eeBrakes and of 9000 so I figure this way I will have the lightest set up on the Tarmac and the fastest shifting on the Sprint.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

morganb wrote:Ended up buying the Sagan frame. Gonna swap the Di2 over from my Tarmac then put eTap from an S3 that I am selling onto that. I have a pair of eeBrakes and of 9000 so I figure this way I will have the lightest set up on the Tarmac and the fastest shifting on the Sprint.

I'm jealous, that's the one I wanted. I don't remember if that was pre-drilled or not, or if you saw my post a bit earlier; but if you're handy with a soldering iron and have/buy some long e-tube cables for the deraileurs and battery, you can run Di2 on the Sprint without drilling the frame and voiding the warranty.

Also, not sure if that was the pre-owned one, but on the new ones, the BB that comes with the fram is basically a couple of cartarage bearings for 30MM spindle and some snap rings. If you're running 24mm Shimano cranks, you might look at getting the Wheelz Mfg ones.

morganb

by morganb

Its already drilled so I don't have to worry about soldering. He showed me some shots of the drilling and it looks super clean. I'm going to be running 3D+ cranks so I'll just put in fresh BB30 bearings.

mvcap

by mvcap

Received my Allez Sprint frameset with some spare parts, such as bearings for BB.

However, a few things I do not recognize, hoping someone can set me straight!

Pics below, but there is 1 plastic ring that looks more like a seal of some sort (not a headset spacer, too thin) but came with the headset parts pack. Also there are 2 silver open-ended rings, as well as a threaded allen-headed nut much like a brake centering adjustment nut, but it came with the frame and not brakes or components...

Would sure appreciate any insights from someone who has built up this frame - thanks! ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

mvcap wrote:Received my Allez Sprint frameset with some spare parts, such as bearings for BB.

However, a few things I do not recognize, hoping someone can set me straight!

Pics below, but there is 1 plastic ring that looks more like a seal of some sort (not a headset spacer, too thin) but came with the headset parts pack. Also there are 2 silver open-ended rings, as well as a threaded allen-headed nut much like a brake centering adjustment nut, but it came with the frame and not brakes or components...

Would sure appreciate any insights from someone who has built up this frame - thanks!

The plastic ring is part of the top of the headset stack. If I remember correctly, that goes right under the headset cap with the coned bit on top. Should fit on top of the bearing pretty snug if I recall.

I believe the two snap rings (open ended ones) are to hold the bottom bracket bearings in. Honestly, I didn't use them as I needed bearings for a 24mm Shimano crankset. I got the Wheels Mfg. thread together BB. I believe it's the BB30 Outboard Angular Contact for Shimano. The nut in your first picture is for the front brake mounting, I'm assuming it's included in case the one that came with the brake is too long/short.

mvcap

by mvcap

IrrelevantD, thank you! I also needed Shimano 24mm BB so no need for the snap rings. Makes sense that the frame comes with fork and hence a front brake nut, it just looked short for that purpose. And thanks for explaining the headset stack, too!

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

mvcap wrote:IrrelevantD, thank you! I also needed Shimano 24mm BB so no need for the snap rings. Makes sense that the frame comes with fork and hence a front brake nut, it just looked short for that purpose. And thanks for explaining the headset stack, too!

No problem. Glad I could help. The headset ring took me a little fiddling to figure out myself. I was actually really surprised at how easily the Wheels BB went in given my experience replacing the BB in the Giant Propel that my Allez replaced.

morganb

by morganb

Does anyone know the headset dimensions for these or at least for a 54? The one I picked up needs a headset and I prefer to avoid the stock one if I can find the right size bearing elsewhere as I know at least when the first ones came out they wore pretty fast.

pyrahna

by pyrahna

morganb wrote:Does anyone know the headset dimensions for these or at least for a 54? The one I picked up needs a headset and I prefer to avoid the stock one if I can find the right size bearing elsewhere as I know at least when the first ones came out they wore pretty fast.

Where did you hear they wore out fast? I'm still running the stock one on black/blue 1X Allez Sprint and it has given me no issues.

Having said that...check out cane creek's site, they usually have everything listed by bike model.

https://www.canecreek.com/headset-fit-finder

morganb

by morganb

pyrahna wrote:
morganb wrote:Does anyone know the headset dimensions for these or at least for a 54? The one I picked up needs a headset and I prefer to avoid the stock one if I can find the right size bearing elsewhere as I know at least when the first ones came out they wore pretty fast.

Where did you hear they wore out fast? I'm still running the stock one on black/blue 1X Allez Sprint and it has given me no issues.

Having said that...check out cane creek's site, they usually have everything listed by bike model.

I had one of the gold ano 2x models and the headset was notchy after a month. My friend got the Specialized Edition 2x and they warrantied his headset after 3 or 4 weeks because it was nearly seized. Maybe they have fixed it in the more recent ones or made a change from the 1x to 2x but there were issues for sure.

pyrahna

by pyrahna

morganb wrote:
pyrahna wrote:

I had one of the gold ano 2x models and the headset was notchy after a month. My friend got the Specialized Edition 2x and they warrantied his headset after 3 or 4 weeks because it was nearly seized. Maybe they have fixed it in the more recent ones or made a change from the 1x to 2x but there were issues for sure.

Weird, my black/blue model was supposedly from the 1st shipment to get to the states.

Sorry to hear you had trouble. Check out the cane creek site, it will point you in the correct direction.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

morganb wrote:I had one of the gold ano 2x models and the headset was notchy after a month. My friend got the Specialized Edition 2x and they warrantied his headset after 3 or 4 weeks because it was nearly seized. Maybe they have fixed it in the more recent ones or made a change from the 1x to 2x but there were issues for sure.

I'm curious, do you guys live in a particularly wet or humid area? I've been through a couple of headsets on my other bikes, but rarely shorter than 18 or so months (8~10k miles). My rides are usually pre-dawn in the Dallas area when it's really humid and muggy. I also do not shy away from riding in the wet unless there's ice on the ground or lightning in the skys, so I can be really hard on equipment. I'd be very surprised to see a headset go out after only a few months. I really hate saying this, but my initial gut reaction was that something was missing like maybe the plastic ring that mvcap referenced and there's moisture getting in there somehow.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com