Astute Saddles?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DeLuz

by DeLuz

Anybody riding an Astute saddle?
I am looking for a saddle for my tandem.
I use a Selle Italia SLR flow on my road bike but it doesn't work on the tandem because I am sitting more and need some padding.
I have tried Fizik Aliante VS, Prologo Zero (ouch!), Selle Italia Max flite so far but no luck.
The Astute Skyline looks similar in shape to an SLR and is just slightly wider, I am hoping the memory foam would provide the padding I need.
Chain Reaction and Merlin have them for around $130, it would be pretty expensive to return it from the US to the UK if it doesn't work out.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Wonderful shape and nice flex in the shell. Terrible design that squeeks enough to cause "Hulk SMASH!" moments. Skip them. I returned two to the retailer before finally giving up and tossing the third in a storage box in the garage. Astute was really on to something with the shape and feel. I wanted to keep it on the bike, but the loud noise - which stems from the design and interface of shell and rails - was intolerable. I might try to epoxy that interface solid at some point when I have some extra time (which means never.)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tmchen

by tmchen

My LBS loaned me a demo and I didn't get any of the squeaks. It was dead quiet for me. First 50km was fine but I developed soreness at 2 particular points. Couldn't get used to it so I returned to my Selle Italia Max. Really thick padding and heavy but it was great for long rides.

LouisN

by LouisN

I ordered a Skylite VT model although I suspected the saddle was "too comfy" in the center section.
Same hammoc feeling I once had with a Toupe.
Now I read this....:/

Think I'll try to change My order for the SkyCarb one with full carbon shell.
http://www.astuteitalia.com/en/product/ ... ack-carbon
But the price :shock: !!!

Louis :)

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

140g!

SMUD carbon saddles provide the nice 'hammock' feeling. You may never need padding again.
~66g.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

The new line of saddles doesn't sag like the first version (only one model) did.
Yes, i have the Star Skylite version. Very good saddle but for what you are talking of there is only one...
Selle Italia Turbomatic. I have 14 saddles and i can tell you right away, there is none that beat Turbomatic.
The Astute saddle is harder.
I ride my Turbomatic and Syntace P6 HiFlex carbon combo on my new bike.
Heavily recommended!

Astute is fine, but it's not what you are describing you look for.
Another saddle which is very nice is Bontrager Hilo XXX, but that is a TT saddle and also short.
So i think i can't recommend that for a tandem. But it's great for a road bike.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Lafolie

by Lafolie

strangley my astute has started clicking, wondering if I should change it out

Lugan

by Lugan

New to me this year, I tried and have adopted across several bikes the SR series, including the Skycarb and two slight variations of the models below that. I really like them. They replace Bontrager Seranos for me (which in turn many years ago replaced Fizik Aliantes). So my preference is obviously for non-cutout saddles. The Astute SR series is indeed non-cutout, but under the cover in the perineal area there is a noticeable softer padding while under the sit bones on the slightly raised tail the padding is quite a bit firmer. So the effect, at least for my hind quarters, is some central pressure relief without going to an extreme. It's perfect for me, and I haven't been able to find anything else like the SR up to now. Oh, and also, so far no squeaking from any of mine. And you don't need to pay full prices. Do a Google search and you'll see they are readily available at 50% off or better.

Apv

by Apv

Never experienced any squeaking or any sound issues myself. Pretty happy with it though I think I prefer a fizik arione personally. Love the colour variety of astute saddles!
I own the taca skyline vt.
For my butt, it goes fizik > astute > prologo > selle italia from what I’ve experienced.
Each to their own though.

Lafolie

by Lafolie

I think the company has gone out of business - hence the deals

silvalis

by silvalis

I have a mudline vt and it's a rock. Zero hammock or squish from it.
Chasse patate

Lugan

by Lugan

Lafolie wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:15 pm
That would be bad news for my undercarriage.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Lugan wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:51 am

That would be bad news for my undercarriage.

They started being cleared out of the US market a couple months ago via Competitive Cyclist, so if they aren't out of business they are doing some major internal overhaul.

Sammutd88

by Sammutd88

Lafolie wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:15 pm
I'd agree. Their website used to be decent and I vaguely remember it not being up last time I tried to have a look at it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

there are two main shapes in the astute line. i got on very well with the Sealite (flatter) but not much with the mudlite (curve). general build quality is miles ahead of other manufacturers.
Some say pour 10ml water out of your bottle to save that last bit of the weight. Sorry, i go one step further, i tend to the rider off my bikes. :thumbup:
n+1...14 last time i checked, but i lost count :mrgreen: