Colnago C60: seeking advice

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MiddMan

by MiddMan

Thank you, cyclenutnz, that's very kind of you. I do certainly want to get rid of the space tower look--an example of how not every bike shop fitting is ideal--and for that would prefer a larger frame as you suggest. Is Calnago right that a 61 trad would do the trick?

As per your measurment requests:

Saddle Height: 83.5 cm (center of bb - top of saddle). And: 106.5 cm (ground - top of saddle)
Setback: apx 9-10 cm (I'm running a Specialized Toupe saddle. I find I can't sit back far enough when I'm in the drops. I'd much prefer more set-back therefore, and would probably like the set-back seatpost of the Colnagos as I have more power if I can get back behind the pedals a couple more cm or so; but I'm at my saddle's limit on a straight post)
Drop to bars: 11cm
Reach to bar centre: 61.5 cm
Reach to hoods where they start to turn up (from saddle tip): 76 cm
Bar Width: 44 cm (centre to centre)
Bar Model: Bontrager (I think the old Race or Race Lite). I'll likely prefore something like Deda Superleggero bars. I'm even considering the wide Deda Superleggero 35... but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Ideally you'd also measure Bar X and Y - Handlebar Reach and Stack as shown here http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/05/ ... lly_216035

Frame stack: 56.5 cm
Frame reach: 42 cm (middle/centre-line of head tube)

Handlebar stack: 52.5 (+/- 5mm)
Handlebar reach: apx 51-51.5 cm

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MiddMan

by MiddMan

@ drmarg and @ Johnnysmooth,
Thank you for your good wishes. I'll probably go for the RSWH colour if I go Colnago C60. Not sure what I'd get if I go Dogma. Colnago definitely has some really nice paint. I'm not rushing anything this time around, want to make sure everything lines up... But once I make the order I will keep you all posted, and then probably start another thread for the actual build.

MiddMan

by MiddMan

PS apparently I haven't learned how to actually quote text on this forum yet. I'll get the hang of it!

Cascadebiker

by Cascadebiker

Though I generally prefer the look of traditional Colnago geometry, with the Aheadsets on the new frames sloping rather than level, the level top tube in traditional geometry frames misaligns with the headset and looks a bit janky to my eye.

With regard to who you order from, I'd spend some time scoping out Belgian dealers. Maestro has frames shipped from Italy to Codagex in Belgium where they sit and gather over time until there are enough for his son to drive down and collect them. This slows the already painful waiting time down considerably. My wait time from order until shipment was over 3 months. Though he was a bit vague on where they were painted, I've read in other forums that he has them painted in Belgium post-production. Finally, if you decide to order through Maestro and purchase more than just the frame from him, insist that he itemize the receipt so that you aren't hit with a higher duty rate courtesy of US Customs and UPS than would otherwise apply.

cyclenutnz

by cyclenutnz

These are the results assuming the bars you have

The finder aims for fewer spacers (because I don't like spacer towers) so prefers the 58S to the 61. But we can match the position to a 61

I can't find the reach of the bars, but it's at least 85 (current Bontrager Race), possibly 90+. Deda RHM reach is 75mm so you would use a 10mm longer stem to compensate (which removes 2mm of spacers). Plus - as Calnago mentioned - your hoods are a bit dropped and the RHM bars would have them sitting higher - so you could probably have the stem slammed on a 61 and match your current hoods position very nicely.

PS - I would go for the traditional myself - will look very classic with stem slammed. You will find a massive difference in handling with fewer spacers and a tapered steerer.

LionelB

by LionelB

We have almost the same fit. 61trad is the right size.

outnumbered

by outnumbered

FWIW, I'm slightly taller and have my saddle 1cm higher, but with similar reach and bar drop to you.

When I compare my fit from my previous C50, the closest size for me in a C60 is the 58s, because of the taller headtube. I think it'd be marginal for me on the 60 Trad to end up with a sensible bar drop without using too many spacers.

As cyclenutnz said, you could probably get both sizes to work for you, it might ultimately depend on which you think looks better, and how long it'd take to get one. I believe some people have waited forever for them to make any traditional frames.

Good luck with your choice, I loved my C50 until it broke, and I'd love to be able to justify a C60 to replace it...

MiddMan

by MiddMan

To sum up my own feelings on sloping vs traditional: I do prefer the C59 (and ergo the C60) in traditional geometry (Calnago's is a great example of the beauty of a trad frame). I think sloping can look good and often looks quite nice, particularly on smaller frames, eg 52s or the like. Colnagos have a gentler slope than other bikes and gives good proportions. I think performance-wise they're nearly equal. Aesthetics side, for someone such as myself with long legs, I believe a trad would actually be better because there will be less seat post exposed proportionally and less chance for seatpost to flex under more power or heavier load (lest we forget, 192 cm height also equals a lot more weight than someone of the same make up who is several cm shorter). Though at the end of the day, I'm not in any pro pelotons and I doubt I'd notice a difference :)

I spoke with someone at Wrench Science a few days ago. He was very helpful, very attentive without any pressure to buy. However, when I asked him about 61 traditional, he said Colnago stopped making them, maybe they will again for 2016 (?) I thought that odd since they still have the traditional options on their own website. Anyway, due to WS saying they aren't made any more, I went ahead and emailed Bellati to see if it's possible to still get the 61 trad.

Thanks also Cascadebiker for the info and the heads up on duty import tax. My dealings with Mike have been very cordial, although I'll probably rather pay a few hundred more and get from Bellati given what you've said. Even if I do have to pay an 8 or 10% duty, it will still equate to less than what most of the US shops are selling them for.

@ outnumbered, That brings up an important issue, which is whether anyone other than yourself has had any negative experiences or frame breakage with a C60 or C59? What was the cause of your C50's breaking? And was it at the dropouts or elsewhere?
I know they changed the bottom bracket design for the newest iteration, I'm just not sure if that's a good thing or not.
Last edited by MiddMan on Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MiddMan

by MiddMan

PS Thanks a million cyclenutnz for your help, I'm very grateful!

outnumbered

by outnumbered

The LH rear dropout on my C50 broke, around the bolt between the seat stay lug and the main part of the dropout. So it was an aluminium part that failed. I heard from a respected carbon repairer in the UK that this wasn't an uncommon failure on C50s. OTOH it was 9 years old so hadn't done too badly.

I would imagine they've improved the design since then anyway.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

I ride a small frame and prefer the looks of traditional. Unfortunately for my size sloping was my sole option. I saw an interesting thread on velocipede where frame builders opined on what frames they prefer to build. I was a little surprised that for smaller bikes they preferred the aesthetics of sloping.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

LionelB

by LionelB

I'm sure they can make a 61trad. The only question is how long it will take. I rode this week-end with a friend on a C60 56s. Stunning frame.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yes, I never heard they were not making them. But to get a traditional size you will likely have to order it. Like I said before, maybe shoot for a nice Christmas present if that's the way you go.
And the smaller frames often do lend themselves better to a sloping geometry than traditional but depending on setup both can work nicely. I think larger sloping frames can start looking really awkward sometimes.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

ColnagoEPQ

by ColnagoEPQ

I ordered my C60 traditional frame (57cm) in November of 2014 and received it this week (June16, 2015) It seems that Colnago builds traditional frames for a relatively short period of time before reverting back to sloping frames. It would seem that sloping frames outsell the traditional frames by a large margin. Well worth the wait, the frameset is gorgeous.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@ColnagoEPQ: Pics please!
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ