Colnago C60: seeking advice

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MiddMan

by MiddMan

@ LionelB, We have nearly the same measurments. I went to a Pinarello demo today at my 'local' bike shop (still 2 hours away!) and I saw the Dogma up close. Like you, if I can't find/get a C60 in my size, you'll probably see me in a 59.5 Dogma too ;)

@ tinozee +1 about being in shape and yoga.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@MiddMan: If you really wanted a 61 Traditional in the color you want, you will likely have to place an order. I suspect it wouldn't arrive anytime soon and you would be waiting several months. I don't think you're going to find one just sitting around in stock anywhere. You might, but highly unlikely. If you really want one I would just order it and look at it as your Christmas present to yourself. Or go for the 59.5 Dogma.

For what it's worth, I have a 60cm Trek Emonda that I can set up to fit exactly the same as my colnagos. Same seat tube angle, same effective top tube to the millimeter that my 61 Traditionals have.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LionelB

by LionelB

MiddMan wrote:@ LionelB, We have nearly the same measurments. I went to a Pinarello demo today at my 'local' bike shop (still 2 hours away!) and I saw the Dogma up close. Like you, if I can't find/get a C60 in my size, you'll probably see me in a 59.5 Dogma too ;)

Yep, while I am sure the C60 is a wonderful bike (I had a C50) after riding the F8 for thousands of km I doubt very much the C60 is better.

MiddMan

by MiddMan

Out of curiosity does anyone know what Colnago's 'high' geometry is? Just visited their site today trying to compare numbers with my old Trek (found the geometry chart here on page 59: http://www.vintage-trek.com/Trek-Fisher ... alTrek.pdf ) and noticed a third category below traditional:

http://colnago.com/geometry-c60-2-2/?lang=am

Seems head tube height is quite a bit taller and chain stays slightly longer.

PS @ Calnago and LionelB, Maesrtro UK also says I'm probably 61 trad. There's just something classic about those lines! I'm going to send him some photos or a short video of my position to further hone in on proper size...

If I do go the Dogma F8 route, does anyone have experience with Bellati Sport?
http://www.bellatisport.com

I'm on somewhat of a budget so I might just get frame first--whether C60 or Dogma--and then build it up over the next few months.
Last edited by MiddMan on Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harmitc

by Harmitc

I'am in the UK and have bought through Bellatisport. Good honest service would definitely recommend. Visited Maestro re a Colnago purchase but bought from another dealer.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

The "h" sizing in the Colnago chart is new, and looks like it is following along the lines of Treks sizing, basically offering a taller head tube. It is new for Colnago. I haven't seen any and didn't know they were doing this till you just pointed it out. Thanks. But based on the info you've provided, I'd still say the 61 Traditional is bang on what you'd be looking for fit wise and looks wise. However, given that you are still looking for size opinions from Maestro etc, I'm maybe not as sure that you are as positive about your size requirements as I initially thought you were. For instance, 13cm is a lot of saddle to handlebar drop in my eyes. I'm presuming you know this and are very sure that's what you need. Also, the bars and levers you choose are a big part of your position. I run classic shaped bars with a downward ramp and campy levers. The hoods where my hands often sit are therefore almost 2cm lower than the top of the bars next to the stem. Contrast that to some folks who run a bar with little or no ramp and Shimano levers mounted high on the bars. I've seen these setups resulting in the hands on the hood position being significantly higher than the tops of the bars at the stem. So, consider everything in your setup, not just frame size.
And when comparing your old Trek geometry to the new bikes, keep in mind that the old geometries do not include the stack heights for the outboard headsets, which are effectively part of the headtube length in most of today's geometry charts that use integrated headset systems.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

MiddMan

by MiddMan

Thank you sincerely Calnago for your advice, and I do think you're right about the 61. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't considering a 56h just curious as I'd never seen that measurement before. Sloping looks okay on smaller frames, but I think bigger frames deserve traditional. Besides, it's a lugged Colnago... That's pretty traditional in itself! If anything I would be on the fence about 59 vs 61 but given your input plus sizes/measurements of others very similar to me. I currently have 11 cm from and could go another cm maybe, but wouldn't really care to go beyond that. It's a lot as you say.

I will likely seek advice on the build-up too :) I'm not a fan of my current bars at all, but I always had the mentality of 'if it's not broken don't fix it'. I'll keep the Trek for sentimental reasons and probably leave it as it is. I'm looking for something entirely different with the C60. Here is a photo of my now vintage 5200 hehe

mimason

by mimason

I didn't read the entire thread but if you really want the C60 then wait for it. Don't settle for the faster F8...jk.

FYI, I see that Competitive Cyclist has the C60s in 56-60(even sizes) in stock. I think they may be sloping though. Gloss red/black hella!

MiddMan

by MiddMan

My Trek 5200
Attachments
IMG_3135.jpg
IMG_3137.jpg

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yes, all even sizes are sloping now. Odd sizes are traditional. Obviously to appeal to both preferences yet cut down on the total number of unique frames they have to produce.
Just saw your pics above. And based on those I'd say a larger size might be in your interest, unless your reach is abnormally short. In which case the larger Pinarellos may not be a bad option as they have quite tall headtubes. So, go for fit first, aesthetics second, but getting both in the same package is always best. Cuz if you don't get a bike you're not happy with the looks of, you'll never be totally happy with it even if it fits perfectly, unless it's strictly a utilitarian tool (then looks don't matter). But if yhe aesthetics of a bicycle is at all important to you, don't discount that because it can be just as important to your continued enjoyment of your bicycle. If you're a sponsored pro, then it's more of a tool and it's a "get this thing to fit me and I'll race the shit out of it" kind of decision. But if not, then you have a lot more choices to think about.
Last edited by Calnago on Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MiddMan

by MiddMan

And a new Specialized I just picked up yesterday ;)
Attachments
Just hoping to pass on the love...
Just hoping to pass on the love...

MiddMan

by MiddMan

I'm with you 100% of aesthetics. Fit is central, no doubt, but I've always believed a bike should look good too.

cyclenutnz

by cyclenutnz

That H geometry is very interesting. I asked them a while back if they had anything like the old Freuler geometry as I have a client that needs a lot of stack (broken neck in the past) and they couldn't build what I wanted custom (limited by the lugs they have already moulded). But this is getting much closer.

Middman - take some measurements of your bike please - I can transpose the fit on to anything. It seems you have long reach bars - so if you go for a bigger frame you can still have a long stem with modern bars, and the spacer stack will be minimised.

Saddle Height
Setback
Drop to bars
Reach to bar centre
Reach to hoods where they start to turn up (from saddle tip)
Bar Width
Bar Model
Ideally you'd also measure Bar X and Y - Handlebar Reach and Stack as shown here http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/05/ ... lly_216035

Johnnysmooth

by Johnnysmooth

FYI: I placed order for a C60 59 traditional in OFMA color scheme from Bellati on April 1st. Andrea at Bellati has been great in keeping me informed of Colnago's production schedule (they produce a lot more sloping geo than traditional). Anyway, I will receive delivery of bike, built up with Campy and Bora 35s next week. Thus your wait time is not necessarily Christmas, but you may get that frame/bike for fall weather riding.
It only hurts if you think.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

drmarg

by drmarg

middman. Good luck with your purchase. Keep us posted on your process. By the way, I walked into my local Colnago dealer here in So Cal and they are building a new C-60 in Color: OFWH. An absolute work of art! Truly one of the most beautiful paint jobs I have ever seen. The images on your computer screen do not communicate the detail, fades and paint finishes properly. I was floored!
2015 TREK Emonda Project One 6.03kg
2015 TREK Emonda Project One 5.44kg
2014 BMC TeamElite 01 MTB 9.07kg