Speedplay Zero Aero walkable cleats mini review

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

trex021

by trex021

scoby13md's pictures (Wow!):

scoby13md

by scoby13md

Thanks for helping me post these pix. You might be interested in knowing that my left foot is NOT the one I clip in and out of on rides. I use my right all day long to clip in and out. That's what makes this so stunning to me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

superdx

by superdx

You can ask them to contact me too lol

Even after JB weld on the cover, the left one is still coming loose. I had to push it back mid ride today.

Think they should recall these. I wonder if anyone at Speedplay even test rode them. They come off pretty much the day you put them on.

boysa

by boysa

Thanks for all the info in this thread. I was going to purchase some new cleats, and these were obviously what I thought would be the best option. Guess again! Looks like I'll just purchase the plain-Jane variety until Speedplay figures it out.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

Squint

by Squint

Speedplay's legal department is very busy. R&D not so much...

nickf

by nickf

damm i just returned my standard cleats to get these. I'm going to follow this thread for a awhile before i install them.

Liggero

by Liggero

I've been using keep on Kover for about two years now and i´m really happy with them. I put a couple drops of loctite, and the have been in place fro many many many months already.
Happy Trails !!!

superdx

by superdx

Liggero wrote:I've been using keep on Kover for about two years now and i´m really happy with them. I put a couple drops of loctite, and the have been in place fro many many many months already.

I just ordered a set of Z3s from Amazon, will review those when I get my hands on it. Just hope they stay on. Also ordered a tube of Shoe Goo to install it properly as well.

scoby13md

by scoby13md

More than feeling disappointed with my not so cheap purchase of these 2 sets, I feel really disappointed by the arrogance of the people at Speedplay. And, I feel really embarrassed that I convinced my dealer to carry their products. He told me how difficult they are to deal with and how unresponsive they have been in the past (which is why he dropped them the first time).

I am considering changing over to Shimano Dura Ace PD-9000's. I have a 59mm Q-factor on my Speedplays. I thought that would be difficult to duplicate with any other product. But, now, the PD-9000's come in a 57mm Q-factor and their tech support told me I can safely add 2 mm of washers to get the same Q-factor. The Japanese are very meticulous about design and their R and D at Shimano is top notch. Your thoughts??

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

I was really looking forward to running some of these new cleats as I am due for a replacement soon, but now...not so much!

Quick question for anyone who has been having problems with the covers falling off despite adhesive: Does the JB weld (or other adhesive) not stick to the cover, or does it not stick to the cleat? In other words, when the covers fall off, which piece still has the glue stuck to it?

I couldn't tell from the pics, and am curious as to where the failure is occurring. JB is pretty good stuff, but I could imagine a more flexible adhesive being better for the cover, as it could flex with it a bit. Also, I wonder if they have some sort of mold release agent reside that could be scrubbed off, or if the cover material is just inherently resistant to adhesion.

kode54

by kode54

scoby13md wrote:I have been reading your various posts. I wanted to share my experiences with you. I bought two sets of the Zero Aero pedals. I took the first set of the new cleats out for a 117 mile one day tour. At the end of the tour, my left cleat was hanging off. The next weekend, I rode the NY 5 Boro Tour. (48 miles). When I took my shoes off, the left cleat of that set was completely gone.
I contacted Speedplay. A guy named Bill in tech support asked me for some pix, which I sent of both shoes/cleats. He e-mailed and told me he would talk to his boss and get right back to me that afternoon. NOTHING. The next day, I sent him another picture. He said his boss would be in at 2PM EDST, and I would get a call from him. NOTHING. On the third day, I got an email from his boss saying they would send me two new sets of covers. I told them I didn't want anything to do with the Zero Aeros. I told them they were junk. I told them I wanted 3 sets of the older style cleats. (The newer ones are $60 per set. The older were $40 per set.) Today, I got a call from Bill's boss, Yuzo, saying that the designer of the cleats/covers wanted to see my defective covers, and, he wanted to speak to me about my experiences with their product. FIRST, I DIRECTED THEM TO THIS BLOG after they told no one else had a problem with their cleat/cover assembly. My experience translated that as, "Oh, crap. We've got a problem here." They agreed to speak with me on Monday, as I was at work when they called me. I will be off on Monday. As I am new to this thread, I don't know how to post pix to this blog. If someone can help me with that, I will gladly post my pix as well.

looks pretty bad. thx for TOFTT. i was ready to order a set myself. seems that Speedplay never 'walked' on them...probably only used them while clipped in. i may have to get a set of Keep on Kovers for the time being. my other shoe's cleat is worn...which is the one i was going to replace with the Aero version.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Squint

by Squint

I think they already patented their aero cleat so don't expect the design to change anytime soon.

Liggero

by Liggero

superdx wrote:
Liggero wrote:I've been using keep on Kover for about two years now and i´m really happy with them. I put a couple drops of loctite, and the have been in place fro many many many months already.

I just ordered a set of Z3s from Amazon, will review those when I get my hands on it. Just hope they stay on. Also ordered a tube of Shoe Goo to install it properly as well.

I've used keep on kovers for many many many miles. At the beginning, I lost a couple of them, because of twisting my left foot when stopping at traffic lights. With loctite I haven't lost it in several thousand kilometers, so very happy now. I have a spare set, just in case, but I didn't need to use it yet. Scott is a nice guy, and he will send you a new spare KOK if you loose yours.

About Speedplay customer service, yes they are bad, they try to fool you. In my case, I had a problem with one of the zero cleats, breaking in the yellow plastic. As they were trying to fool me just like they did to you, I threatened them with giving big publicity to the issue, in twitter, facebook, and I also mentioned the 4-5 largest cycling forums in the world; they sent me the new yellow plastic parts the same day...
Happy Trails !!!

ms6073

by ms6073

Well having ordered a set of the Aero 'walkable' cleats and letting them sit on our kitchen counter for the past 3-weeks waiting on more results in this thread, I think I am going to return the new SP cleats. My wife has been using Keep On Cover Z3's since they came out and while the Z1's were a bit loose, the Z3s are extremely tight as I have to use a flat-head screw driver to remove a cover.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djcline

by djcline

Thanks for the review on the new aero cleats. Was just about to order bu I think that I will stay with what I am doing now. I have used the Keep on Kovers and was happy for a couple of years except for them falling off, so I gave up the last year. I may try out the new model.
The last year I have been putting a light coat of Shoe Goo over the metal surface. I lasts for several weeks then I just peal off and start new or touch up the edges. I have a slick stamped concrete driveway at home and I have nearly killed myself slipping with exposed metal cleats. Plus I can walk inside and not scratch or mar the floors.
Also I never have to worry about loosening cleat screws.