Colnago C59 tyre clearance?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

WR74

by WR74

Anyone able to comment on the clearances for the M10 frames? I'm currently running Conti GP4000's 25mm on my LOOK 585, which also has tight clearances on the rear . I'm getting a M10 later in the week and wouldn't want to get a new wheels or tyres if I don't have to.

Sent from my GT-P5100 using Tapatalk

canoas

by canoas

WR74 wrote:Anyone able to comment on the clearances for the M10 frames? I'm currently running Conti GP4000's 25mm on my LOOK 585, which also has tight clearances on the rear . I'm getting a M10 later in the week and wouldn't want to get a new wheels or tyres if I don't have to.

Colnago CSF team were the 1st pro team to ride M10 in 2011, then Europacar followed suit with the likes of Pierre Rolland. In this case the max clearance would be 24mm. If you looking for a good all round tyre that is reasonably fast and durable then I would suggest the Vittoria Corsa SR 24mm (very grippy in the wet for a race tyre).

Stick to the 23mm/24mm rule on your M10. The thing is; a 23mm tyre is fine I don't see what the fuss is with 25mm, 23mm will still win you a race or you'll enjoy a nice comfort ride in the hills/mountains and flat. (Valverde when I saw his bike last year was running 23's)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

grid256

by grid256

WR74 wrote:Anyone able to comment on the clearances for the M10 frames?

When I had an M10, I ran Conti 4 season 25's on Hed 23m Belgium rims in the off season for the bad roads. It was tight, but worked. I'm guessing that due to the large measured size of GP4000's, they will be too tight. A shame because they're a super tire.

ipaul

by ipaul

WR74 wrote:Anyone able to comment on the clearances for the M10 frames? I'm currently running Conti GP4000's 25mm on my LOOK 585, which also has tight clearances on the rear . I'm getting a M10 later in the week and wouldn't want to get a new wheels or tyres if I don't have to.

On my M10s I am running a set of conti sprinter gatorskins in a 25 mm size with plenty of clearance.
:P

canoas

by canoas

Depends on the type of road surface as well. If the surface is smooth you might be ok, as soon the surface is bumpy that's when the problems start, from my experience anyway with my 2011 C59.

I tested with a turbo trainer seemed ok, but only just. Then out on the road, any pothole or bump would just hit under the fork, I very rarely felt anything under the fork all seemed normal until I finished my ride and actually looked under the fork and down tube. My nice white paint job under the fork has turned to messy black with 25's. I tested Open Corsa, GP4000's and Conti 4 seasons.....then went back to 23mm.

TimW

by TimW

I've just put my winter Fulcrum Racing 5 LG wheels (17mm internal) with Conti GP tyres (tyres measure just over 26mm wide inflated) onto my very early 2010 C59 and the clearance looks OK. Around 3-4 mm under the fork.

luminous

by luminous

I can't fit 25mm tyre on rear wheel of my M10S frame. Tyre touches the frame.
25mm on front wheel is fine, but not for rear. It's max 23mm at the back.

My rims are H Plus son, 17mm inner width. Tyre Michelin Pro4 endurance.

td100

by td100

My C59 with Vittoria 25mm Pave Tubulars barely clear the fork as shown earlier on the thread about 1.5mm front and rear clearance. 23mm Vittoria CX were much better
Colnago C59 Italia
Fondriest TF2 1.0
Time Skylon

fa63

by fa63

luminous wrote:I can't fit 25mm tyre on rear wheel of my M10S frame. Tyre touches the frame.
25mm on front wheel is fine, but not for rear. It's max 23mm at the back.

My rims are H Plus son, 17mm inner width. Tyre Michelin Pro4 endurance.

Michelin Pro4 are very oversized, especially on wide rims. My 25s measured almost 28 mm on Campy Zondas, which aren't wide.

coriordan

by coriordan

Calnago, your post on page 3 with underside of fork makes me feel better about my bike which also has similar damage.

I have a C59 currently running new Zipp 303s and Schwalbe One tyres. The tyres came fitted and I can't work out what size they are as there's no writing on them other than the wording Schwalbe One.

Further to the ongoing tyre size discussion, I gave it a quick clean the other day and there was some tyre rub on the chainstay (or seatstay, sorry can't remember).

Has anyone else experienced this? I think it's fair to say that my tyres are a little large given the scratches to the underside of the fork, but I wouldn't have thought it would rub the chain (or seatstay).

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

There was a poster in this thread somewhere saying the same thing about the Zipp 303's.

I reread this thread and at the time I didn't have the newer wider Boras. I was theorizing how the wider profile might allow a 25mm tubular to lay a bit more relaxed in the rim bed and yes, it does exactly that. So, with the new Boras (2015+) you're good for a 25mm tubular, clearance is fine. Old Boras, not so much. And with clinchers, you really have to experiment with your rim/tire combination, but there's probably not too many 25mm tire/clincher rim combos that would give good clearance, it would be minimal at best. But a nice option that does work is a current Campy clincher rim such as a Shamal Ultra with a 17mm internal width coupled with a 23mm clincher on it, and it's a quite nice combination actually. That's what I'd go with for a current clincher setup on a C59. Just thought I'd add that little update to kind of finish this thread for me, since it popped up again.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

coriordan

by coriordan

I think you're probably right that a 23mm clincher is correct. Given they all seem to measure differently, sadly that doesn't really narrow it down!

Anyone else on here with similar experience?

coriordan

by coriordan

Anyone have an idea of Conti GP4000s II on Zipp 303s? I am currently running Schwalbe Ones at 25mm and there is a bit of rub on the inside of the fork crown.

Wondering if perhaps I should go 23mm and benefit from them coming up wide, or possibly go 25mm on the rear and 23 on the front.

AJS914

by AJS914

I seem to have a lucky C59 with extra clearance. I did some measurements today:

GP4000 23mm (25mm actual)
C15 rim ..... 5.5mm front clearance
C15 rim ..... 4.25mm rear clearance

C18 rim ..... 4.5mm front clearance
C18 rim ..... 4mm rear clearance

GP4000 25mm (27mm actual)
C18 rim ..... 3.75mm front clearance
C18 rim ..... 2.25mm rear clearance

The front seems to usually be the problem on the C59 my limiter is the rear brake bridge. What do people think is the minimum acceptable clearance? Would you ride with 2.25mm clearance on the rear? Maybe with some helicoper tape installed? 3.75mm on the front seems and looks ok.

Also, I've been debating about whether going with some new wheels that are 18mm internal width or some that are 19.25mm. With the 18s I can possibly squeek by with 25mm GP4000s. Probably with the 19.25mm rims I'd definitely have to remain on the 23mm GP4000s. Or find a tire that isn't as tall as the GP4000.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Pierrotdu37

by Pierrotdu37

hello I have a pair of old Time Hi Tense wheels with Conti GP 4000sII 25 inflated @8 bars, and it was OK with the rear but in case of debris on the front wheel the tyre were in contact with the fork crown (but clearance was Ok with the new Campa 12S Record calipers).My bike is a C59s Italia size 50 purchased in 2012
I've just purchase a new pair of campa Zonda C17 and now the Conti 25 touch the calipers. I had to buy a Conti GP 4000SII 23 mm, here @8bars on the pic