Time skylon

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mrgray

by mrgray

well this has got me very interested. i was looking at the fluidity but if there is not much feedback on the skylon there is near zero for the fluidity. i think @leej88 bike above has the greatest paint scheme going right now, carbon with french colours. i'm interested for that alone.

one impediment to imminent ownership seems to be the absolute dearth of people selling them here in australia. if anyone has any tips i am all ears.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

zappafile123

by zappafile123

mrgray wrote:well this has got me very interested. i was looking at the fluidity but if there is not much feedback on the skylon there is near zero for the fluidity. i think @leej88 bike above has the greatest paint scheme going right now, carbon with french colours. i'm interested for that alone.

one impediment to imminent ownership seems to be the absolute dearth of people selling them here in australia. if anyone has any tips i am all ears.

There's a cheap medium red frame going on Ebay. With an offer and really expensive shipping you can it landed for about 2900 if you skip import tax. Then when it comes time to sell it you should easily get 2.5 for it over the next year or so.
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

zappafile123

by zappafile123

FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

leej88

by leej88

I test rode the Fluidity and it definitely isn't as stiff or as planted as the Scylon.

It feels like a stiffened RXR Ulteam and was smooth like butter (which seems to be the case for all TIME frames) but being a larger rider at 87 kilos, 183cm in height, I find myself preferring something that gives me a more planted feel when riding and the Scylon seems to tick all the boxes.

The Scylon in the French edition colour scheme looks great in my opinion but so does the Grey/Silver one in gloss finish.

It's a little sad though that they aren't able to recreate the awesome paint job like they did years ago as I find all the current Scylon colour schemes to be a tad on the boring side.

I'm unable to assist you on where to get them in Aussy but I do know that Bellatisport might be able to help you procure on in the colour of your choice. They are priced rather competitively.

P.S. This is my Scylon, work in progress....

mrgray

by mrgray

holy shit is that the francaise colour scheme? that thing is sick. thm cranks, LWs and EPS. awesome. whats the weight on it and what are those brakes by the way. does this thing have its own thread? if not please get on it.

i totally agree about the francaise colour scheme. it is one of the best of a pretty dire bunch however i also think this is very nice. (anniversary ulteam)

thankyou very much for the ride feedback on the fluidity. i sort of want to go big if i am going to have a crack at a time and so the skylon is preferred even though the fluid might make more sense for the longer rides i'd like to do (but then i have a steel bike for that right?).

zappa where is this medium red bike you speak of? is it a skylon? and if it is that one that is going for 5000 USD then i need to get you involved in the bargaining process because how i'm gonna get it knocked down to 3000 AUD i do not know.

bellati sports is a good place it seems and they do have a medium right there now but that'll end up around 4.5k and no aktiv fork. i wouldn't mind including that if i can. plus of course it is just white (and black) and not the francaise colour scheme which is very good indeed.
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg

leej88

by leej88

Thank you for the praises! It's still pretty much a work in progress as TIME left out my handlebars and they'll only be shipped to me together with the next batch of shipment.

For the mean time, I'm using some no brand aluminum bars that my LBS loaned to me.

This explains the reason why the cable management upfront is such a mess as I'll have to redo them when I eventually get the handlebars so I couldn't be bothered to tidy them up.

I'm running Shimano Ultegra 6800 brakes because I'm still waiting for my THM Fibula 2017. According to Starbike, they'll be ready by the end of March.

THM uses Shimano styled brake pad holders which was why I ordered my Campy specific LW wheels with Shimano pads instead and the only way to make things work during this interim was to run Shimano brakes.

I was offered an immensely great deal on them so they'll be serving me until my Fibulas arrive.

As for the brake cables, I've decided to run Black Nokon Housing with Jagwire ultra slick uncoated polished cables and Jagwire L3 Liners for Nokon.

I have also painstakingly managed to source a couple of Spare Nokon Links in Red, White and Blue which I'll be using to accentuated the cable ends going into the brakes to match the frame's French colour scheme.

As this was a build with Ridability, Aerodynamics and Weight + a bit of bling in mind, I decided to stick to off the shelf parts that worked without compromising durability.

LW's are on ceramicspeed bearings so are the Bottom Bracket (CS coated PF4630), pulley wheels (CS titanium coated) and pedals (Time Xpresso 15 CS bearings).

I'm thinking if I should do the same for the chain as well but will probably do so when I wear out the original Campy chain.

I'm currently using a Berk Lupina saddle which is really comfortable but have also ordered Selle Italia's C59 Saddle as they look quite a fair bit better and are also lighter.

Will definitely post up a build thread when I get the bike set up and dialled in (steerer tube to be cut and might be running a longer stem)

The Scylon Ulteam 30 is stunning. I heard 100 were made and they're all sold out.

Here's another photo of the edition francais colour scheme. Still a farcry from their amazing RXR paint scheme.

I think the SCYLON is the way to go especially with the Aktiv fork.

Comparing it to the RXR Ulteam, the Scylon feels planted, reassuring and stiff.

The noodle like front end has been eliminated and together with 25C tires and the Aktiv fork, road buzz has also been reduced significantly.

Handling is still razor sharp albeit a tad twitchy. Mashing on the pedals does not give you that explosive acceleration that some people are after.

Instead, the Scylon offers a ride quality that is somewhat a tad detached or as others might put across as: muted and could possibly be more accurately compared to that of a large sports sedan where you surge ahead with regality. Calm, composed and reassuring. You don't feel the speed until you glance at your speedometer which in a way urges you to push harder sometimes.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Thank you @leej88.

As I've aged, I no longer have the undignified explosive acceleration of my youth. Now I surge ahead with regality.

* with regality is an alternative expression for slowly

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Is that a large frame, or medium?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Wormiez

by Wormiez

I recently completed a Time Skylon Build. Words cannot explain how fast this bike can get up to speed and hold it. It just slices through the wind and maintains top end speed without much effort. As leej88 mentioned, you don't feel the speed until you looked down at the speedometer and look back seeing your mates fall behind. The bike just wants to surge ahead, it feels cheating when the Time is taken out for group rides.

Went with the following build list --

Stem - 3T AERONOVA TEAM Steath
Bar - 3T INTEGRA LTD
Frame - Time Skylon 54"
Pedal - Time Xpresso 10
Groupset - SRAM Etap
Saddle = Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow
Wheelset - Campy Bora One Dark Label Tubular 50
Tires - Veloflex Arenberg 25"

Total Complete Build Weight came in at - 13.15 lbs

Wormiez

by Wormiez

At our LBS many of our riders have converted over to Time.

In build and complete there are 3 Time Skylons including mine. Two of which went with Etap and the other is going with the new DA Di2 route.

My friend just placed an order for a Time Izon, that would be complete in late March.

mrgray

by mrgray

why are they converting Wormiez? and what were they on?
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

mrgray wrote:well this has got me very interested. i was looking at the fluidity but if there is not much feedback on the skylon there is near zero for the fluidity. i think @leej88 bike above has the greatest paint scheme going right now, carbon with french colours. i'm interested for that alone.

Sheppard Cycles in Vic - sheppardcycles.com

mrgray

by mrgray

thanks Rich. I had identified them but hadn't contacted them. I have now done that. Be interesting to see what they can offer. Maestro is offering them but cost is around $5,000 and thats without the 10% customs I might cop.
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg

Wormiez

by Wormiez

mrgray wrote:why are they converting Wormiez? and what were they on?

Not sure why they converted over, but from my understanding each of the Skylon riders have a stable of high-end road bikes and wanted that extra edge in their group rides. Hence they chose the Time Skylon.
- The options we had from our LBS were, Cannondale, Bianchi, Willier, De Rosa, Colagno, etc...

The other two skylons have the aktiv fork and both claim that it has done wonders in terms of comfort for long rides. I went against the Aktiv fork for weight savings . :)

I converted over because I wanted speed, now I have to much speed and will resort to my backup ride for our weekend group rides. :)

My friend moving to the Izon is coming from a Cannondale SuperSix Evo.

kgt

by kgt

I agree. That's why Time frames are usually chosen by really experienced riders-connoiseurs. A 25 year old racer cannot discern or does not even care for the ride quality of a Time frame. He just wants something light, stiff and fast. OTOH an older rider who has tried many, many frames can immediately evaluate the quality of manufacturing and the sophistication of the ride.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com