Brake pads for Mavic carbon wheels.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Crooch

by Crooch

Just came across this thread after having my Cosmic 40C rear replaced by Mavic. They asked for the pads when they replaced it and i sent my Black Prince ones that i had been using. They were happy to replace and got a new rim and the yellow swiss stop Mavic branded pads back. So was just on the Mavic site to buy another pair for the Fronts and came across this response to complaints about the yellow pads which I thought you might find interesting..

https://shop.mavic.com/en-gb/carbon-bra ... #1040=3560

Response from Mavic:
MAVIC · Consumer Service · 4 days ago

The choice of the brake pads is a compromise between braking efficiency particularly on wet conditions, wearing and aptitude not to damage carbon fibers. The best chemical recipe we found with our supplier was the yellow pads until now. It is true that on some carbon fibers the yellow color can remain on the rim at the very beginning of the wheels use but disappears then. To solve this passing issue, we finally found another recipe in an anthracite black color and the new pads will be available before the end of the year 2018. Thanks

lucksun

by lucksun

I feel uncomfortable because it is for nothing else.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

IchDien

by IchDien

Anybody got any further experience here?

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Until the warranty period ends we'd prefer if you didn't brake at all.

- Wheel manufacturer

:lol:

bruno2000

by bruno2000

So if only the yellow pads are confirmed by Mavic, why the AG2R guys are using blue pads (Reynolds?) ?

Geoff

by Geoff

The other thing to consider is how great cork pads actually work. If you are using them in the dry (they are not good in the rain), I really prefer the 'feel' you get with cork. You will basically eliminate the 'grabby' tendancy of carbon rims. Very nice and smooth.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

If the new black pads are the same as the currently approved yellow, it won't address my one concern. Those yellow pads are super soft and contribute to a spongy lever feel which I hate. I get that the softer a pad is, the less damaging it will be to the rims. Great braking (for carbon) but terrible lever feel. And as Geoff points out grabby. Not to mention they are super expensive and wear out crazy fast.

I wouldn't mind a bit of wear if I could get a more solid feel.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

IchDien

by IchDien

I'm asking because it appears that even Cannondale and Garmin didn't use the yellow pads either...

AJS914

by AJS914

I have a feeling that Pro teams will do what they want and don't care about warranty issues.

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

AJS914 wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:12 pm
I have a feeling that Pro teams will do what they want and don't care about warranty issues.
Or about durability...