Will UCI ever legalize disc's?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CP

by CP

[/quote], although discs would be awesome on a dedicated grunge weather bike.[/quote]

+1
Are great

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gwilliams

by gwilliams

Discs are good in wet conditions, but road racing tyres are not-see the number of crashes on wet days. Will any major gain in the wet not just be lost in lack of grip?

I am open to disc for winter riding to avoid rim and pad wear.

mattr

by mattr

What he said ^^^^. I've run out of traction way way way more times than I've run out of performance, or modulation. In all and any weather.

Maybe we'll see people switching to ultra soft compound tyres in 30mm widths. And neutral service for when they wear out mid race?

CP

by CP

When speaking about wet weather crashes, don't forget to add all carbon wheelsets into the equation.

JensW

by JensW

but different breaking power, isn´t there already different braking power in the peleton already, considering that some team/bikes has v-brakes and some brakes ar better then other. so how would disc change, yes, they can brake even later. but isn´t there already a different?

Irish

by Irish

Without doubt the biggest factor in braking late is tyre traction/grip and not brake performance, having better brakes than calliper brakes isn't needed on wet descents because NOBODY carries more speed into a corner than their tyres can grip or they are on their arse. Racing cyclists use their brakes to feather off speed until they are confident that they can get around the corner.

Bregnhoj

by Bregnhoj

I my self am not big fan of disc's either.

BUT if the inevitable happen, and disc's are legalized when will it be announced? Is it coming any time soon?

I my self see the need of removing the weight limit as a waaaaaay better way to boost innovative minds in cycling.

And perhaps, could a removal of the weight limit be just the right thing? Would manufacturers the thier minds away from disc's and focus on weight once again?
My bikes incl. De Rosa Superking and Cervelo R3
Twitter & Instagram - @mathiasbregnhoj

Zoro

by Zoro

If you want to see what UCI is thinking look to the juniors - USA - or world.
Some major races they now want road bikes for TTs - where last year they allowed TT bikes.

No - UCI will not allow discs. I believe they will limit profile soon.

TimW

by TimW

Surely they will also need to set a standard rotor diameter rule as well. Unless the cars/bikes carrying spare wheels carry a bunch of different wheels with different sized rotors on?

I'm not even going to bother with my opinion on the matter...since it's irrelevant as this whole thing is just about manufacturers selling more bikes and kit. Like most 'innovations'.

airwise

by airwise

bobqzzi wrote:Bike races are won by the rider with the best intersection of fitness and strategy.

Who are paid by multinational bicycle companies. :wink:

mattr

by mattr

Zoro wrote:If you want to see what UCI is thinking look to the juniors - USA - or world.
Some major races they now want road bikes for TTs - where last year they allowed TT bikes.
Nah, that's more about reducing costs for parents/small sponsors. Same as not allowing disc wheels/deep section rims for certain age groups. It's been going on in one form or another for years.

bura

by bura

I do not think that the answer is that simple for road racing.
Discs are an additional safety risk in big or even smaller peleton crashes.
No doubt about that.
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

pushstart

by pushstart

I have been riding with disc brakes for years on my mtb (of course), for a little over a year on my cx/commuter, and recently replaced my road bike with a (mechanical) disc-brake road bike. The performance of the disc brakes is fantastic. From previous comments, it is probably worth pointing out that the advantage to disc brakes is not stopping power (generally), but modulation of that power. My alloy rim brakes had plenty of stopping power to break tire traction, but delivery of that power was not linear. The modulation discs provide makes for a lot of confidence in corners because you can brake up to limits of tire traction with precise control. I am sure the performance advantages are subtle, but I believe that anyone that has ridden disc brakes will concede that the braking is far superior. And my only experience here is mechanical, which is considered the low-end of disc tech.

I will say that my carbon clincher setup provided far less stopping power than discs (or alloy rims), so for carbon wheels I see disc brakes as a welcome fix to braking surface technology. (I am sure some are better than others.)

There have been aero studies done; I believe bikeradar published one? The conclusion was that disc brakes are less aero (I don't remember how much). But it is also brand new tech on the road.

I think it is hilarious how people just parrot back arguments of dangerous disparity in stopping power in the peleton (carbon vs alloy is FAR more significant) and the fearmongering of rotors slicing people up in crashes (because the other bike parts like chain rings are so soft in comparison?).

I am sure disc brakes will be legalized for reasons already covered by the thread. I also am positive that 10 years from now this debate will seem pretty silly. Of course there are still folks that swear by downtube shifters, so I am sure rim brakes won't completely disappear anytime soon.

Bregnhoj

by Bregnhoj

Question is, as i've read tons of articles about manufacturers wanting "pro's to have the best braking system" (disc's according to them)

But what does the pro's think themselves? Of course some are intitled to say they wan't disc's 'cuz they're paid to do so - but what do the riders and perhaps more importantly the mechanics wan't?

The Secret Pro should totally write about this.
My bikes incl. De Rosa Superking and Cervelo R3
Twitter & Instagram - @mathiasbregnhoj

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bura

by bura

pushstart wrote:I think it is hilarious how people just parrot back arguments of dangerous disparity in stopping power in the peleton (carbon vs alloy is FAR more significant) and the fearmongering of rotors slicing people up in crashes (because the other bike parts like chain rings are so soft in comparison?).

Fact is that we have an alternative brake system for discs which works.
Unless you want to change to belt driven "safer" systems and want to avoid chain rings.No?
So think twice before parroting others or amuse yourself about well backed safety concerns which are concerns for ADDITIONAL safety risks not excluding or minimizing current safety risks.
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD