Cannondale CAAD10 or Specialized Allez (Smartweld) ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Should I go CAAD10 or Allez E5 Smartweld frame

CAAD10
64%
Allez E5 Smartweld
36%

Total votes: 61

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

jostanderhub wrote:I want to add that the Speci is 40% of the regular retail price of the CAAD 10 frameset (EUR 499,-- / EUR 850,--). This gives you some monetary left overs one can cleverly invest in light components

May be true; however, I just got a brand new CAAD10 (never built up) for $650......Allez frames never come up on auction sites. CAAD10's can be had pretty easily for a lot off of retail, not to mention a couple year old CAAD9 is still a better bike than a new Allez imho.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djconnel

by djconnel

jostanderhub wrote:interesting topic. besides all weight discussions, I want to add that the Speci is 40% of the regular retail price of the CAAD 10 frameset (EUR 499,-- / EUR 850,--). This gives you some monetary left overs one can cleverly invest in light components

Looks like the weight difference is less than $1/gram. It's quite hard to save $1/gram on components. The big companies (SRAM, Shimano, Campy) tend to be around $3.50/gram. Sure, there's free savings to be had, but those you'd do in either case.

tranzformer

by tranzformer

I know the pedigree the CAAD lineup has and how well it is loved on WW, and for good reasons. It really is a great bike. But I must say I am intrigued by the new Allez Smartweld frameset. It sounds like Specialized finally put in the resources and R&D to do what Cannondale has been doing for some time now. I am interested in the Allez because it is a little different than the usual CAAD you see around. Now that Specialized has gone with internal rear brake cable, I can finally deal with the looks of the compact frame. Before when the rear brake cable went under the top tube, I just thought it looked 'goofy.'

So the Allez frameset is MSRP $880 and I think I can get it for $800. The CAAD10 frameset is $1000, but I know you can get them on eBay for around $800 new, but not sure if I want to go outside the dealer on a frame purchase. So if I go through the dealer the price is in favor of the Allez, if I go through eBay it is going to be equal.

I believe the weight between the two framesets should be close to each other (1600-1650g).

Anyone have extensive time riding both? I know some reports have said the BB on the Allez Smartweld is flexy? But I thought Specialized said it was stiffer than the SL3 in the BB?

Here is a cool video that I enjoyed watching about the design and creation of the Allez Smartweld.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNx6mufEWcI

RussellS

by RussellS

Cannondale. It is a known and proven frame. No questions about anything. If you decide to sell it later, you know what the selling price is going to be. More or less. The CAAD10 comes with BB30 bottom bracket. And 1 1/8" to 1 1/4" fork. Not sure this is good or bad. But it is kind of up to date and current with what everyone else is doing. Probably good to have a bike using most of the current products.

I have CAAD7 and CAAD9 frames. They look good, ride great, no complaints at all. And the geometry is absolutely perfect for me. That is important. Cannondales are sized correctly.

hmai18

by hmai18

Haven't ridden the new Allez, but I've had my CAAD10 for a few seasons and love it. Wasn't a huge fan of the ride feel on the older alloy Allez's, when I was first looking for a bike, so I've gone through CAAD7, 8, and then 10 mainly because the geo seemed to work for me. The new Allez frames are supposed to be night and day from the old ones, though I have no first-hand experience with them.

For what it's worth, the Allez E5 also uses a tapered fork and BB30.

Enda Marron

by Enda Marron

Cannondale Caad10

THSdrummer

by THSdrummer

For what it's worth, the 2014 CAAD10 frame has an internal routing for the rear brake now as well. At least this is what I've been told.

I ride a CAAD10, so I'm a bit biased, but I would go CAAD10. Solid frame. I'm considering going for another CAAD10 for my next bike as well.
2012 Cannondale CAAD10 3 - 8.08Kg
(Just began the weight reduction process)

53x12

by 53x12

Go with the CAAD. Proving history. Great bang for the buck. Looks 'better' without the Hunchback of ND top tube. Doesn't have a flexy BB as some have noted Allez has.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

stormp

by stormp

Ive been more than happy about my caad10, steering is fabouless and the weight isnt to shappy. Would recommend it for everyone!

topflightpro

by topflightpro

Allez.

I have had three Cannondales: Six-13, Caad 9 and System 6. All were great.

I also had a 2003 S-Works E5 aluminum frame.

Despite being 7 years older than the Caad 9, that E5 was a far superior bike. The Caad 9 was good, that E5 was great.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

I bet that 2003 E5 is better than the current Allez

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Ride a current Allez first would be my recommendation ;)

s4life

by s4life

CAAD 9 or 10... I actually think the 9 is a better value.

Kaliffen

by Kaliffen

Never been on a 'Dale ... So no Comments on that part !!!

But I Have both an older Allez and the new black smartweld! That is 2 completely different bikes ... Not to be compared.

The old one is comfy But to be honest ... Like A wet noodle.

The new smartweld is stiffer and lighter. I Really enjoy my new Allez, it's stiff an yet forgiving. It's a Real powerhouse ... I had the old E5 alloy frame too ... And Would prefer the Allez smart Weld anyday A Munch more complete bike Foundation the E5 too lively up front. But that Cippo paint on my old E5 ... Still miss it ;-)

Lucas1234

by Lucas1234

I've had both fairly equal frames. Allez is the most underrated race frame of all time. Specialized geometry is better though. CAAd10 is lighter though

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com