Cannondale CAAD10 or Specialized Allez (Smartweld) ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Should I go CAAD10 or Allez E5 Smartweld frame

CAAD10
64%
Allez E5 Smartweld
36%

Total votes: 61

krtassoc

by krtassoc

Likewise, the Canyon has a lighter fork than the CAAD10...and except for the Dura-Ace CAAD, has a slightly lighter wheelset - and much higher quality tires - as well. Also, the Canyon comes with a lighter (and, better quality) cockpit; handlebars,stem, and seat post.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HakanC

by HakanC

djconnel wrote:I think the CAADs are a level above any other Al frames out there other than small-time builders like Spooky. Even the Canyons are substantially heavier.

Do you have a source for that claim?

Tour have tested them both, here are there measured weights
Cannondale CAAD 10 Ultegra 1313g/430g
Canyon Ultimate AL 9.0 SL 1299g/318g
(Weights: frame/fork)

Complete tests here:
http://www.tour-magazin.de/technik/test ... 13921.html
http://www.tour-magazin.de/technik/test ... 13925.html

/Håkan
SWEDEN

geeveetee

by geeveetee

Specialized, at least, doesn't make it a challenge to order a frameset. Where are y'all getting CAAD10 frames? I asked my local C-Dale dealer and they said frames-only weren't available.

djconnel

by djconnel

HakanC wrote:Do you have a source for that claim?
/Håkan
SWEDEN

Those Tour numbers are weird. CAAD8 was lighter.

from the CAAD10 thread, 1130 grams (painted white and blue 56cm with hanger and collar).

In contrast, road.cc claimed an anodized Canyon was "just over 1200 grams". Of course the paint adds weight to the Cannondale.

I don't know about frame availability. BikeRadar says the frameset was $999. The same article claims 1150 grams for the 56 cm frame, close to what was reported here.

I don't know about fork weights; comparing those is difficulty due to different steerer lengths and different degrees of aerodynamic optimizations (for aerodynamics are more important than frame aerodynamics, generally). The CAAD10 has a carbon steerer, so it's not a huge difference.

added: in this thread a 54 cm white frame was 1248 grams (w/ collar) but a 54 cm black frame was measured "The weight of the frame (also 54) is 1.105 gr and fork uncut 371 gr."

It's been demonstrated over and over that weight weenies should stay away from white frames. For Al, anodized is the way to go. Or there's a CAAD10 raw for 2012, it's been reported here.

XLR8R

by XLR8R

djconnel wrote:
/Håkan
SWEDEN

Those Tour numbers are weird. CAAD8 was lighter. And a lot less stiffer in the HT and BB

from the CAAD10 thread, 1130 grams (painted white and blue 56cm with hanger and collar). That's bs, cause that's lighter then my own anodized caad10, and even lighter the what cannondale is using for it's own marketing ads)

In contrast, road.cc claimed an anodized Canyon was "just over 1200 grams". Of course the paint adds weight to the Cannondale.

I don't know about frame availability. BikeRadar says the frameset was $999. The same article claims 1150 grams for the 56 cm frame, close to what was reported here.

I don't know about fork weights; comparing those is difficulty due to different steerer lengths and different degrees of aerodynamic optimizations (for aerodynamics are more important than frame aerodynamics, generally). The CAAD10 has a carbon steerer, so it's not a huge difference. What you are saying here doesn't add to the discussion, besides if your are a weighweenie I'd see every gram of savings is relevant, especially if the canyon fork is over a 100 grams lighter

added: in this thread a 54 cm white frame was 1248 grams (w/ collar) but a 54 cm black frame was measured "The weight of the frame (also 54) is 1.105 gr and fork uncut 371 gr."

It's been demonstrated over and over that weight weenies should stay away from white frames. For Al, anodized is the way to go. Or there's a CAAD10 raw for 2012, it's been reported here.

Please remember that Tour mentions actual weight, but also uses recalculated weight to make frames comparable, for example a sloped TT requires a longer seatpost, frames with integrated seatpost are heavier but don't require a seatpost, some builders send in a 54 others a 58, Tour converts both weights to a 57cm. All forks are put on the scale with a steerertube of 300mm.

I think the difference between the C'dale and Canyon are small, BB30 vs PF, different size heatube, diffent geometry. But do remember that the Canyon comes with an excellent carbon seatpost and Ritchey WCS C260 stem. I got the C'dale because of brand preference, looks and it has a straight TT, not cause its a better frameset.

lcoolb

by lcoolb

XLR8R wrote:
djconnel wrote:
/Håkan
SWEDEN

Those Tour numbers are weird. CAAD8 was lighter. And a lot less stiffer in the HT and BB

from the CAAD10 thread, 1130 grams (painted white and blue 56cm with hanger and collar). That's bs, cause that's lighter then my own anodized caad10, and even lighter the what cannondale is using for it's own marketing ads)

I don't know about fork weights; comparing those is difficulty due to different steerer lengths and different degrees of aerodynamic optimizations (for aerodynamics are more important than frame aerodynamics, generally). The CAAD10 has a carbon steerer, so it's not a huge difference. What you are saying here doesn't add to the discussion, besides if your are a weighweenie I'd see every gram of savings is relevant, especially if the canyon fork is over a 100 grams lighter

Please remember that Tour mentions actual weight, but also uses recalculated weight to make frames comparable, for example a sloped TT requires a longer seatpost, frames with integrated seatpost are heavier but don't require a seatpost, some builders send in a 54 others a 58, Tour converts both weights to a 57cm. All forks are put on the scale with a steerertube of 300mm.

I think the difference between the C'dale and Canyon are small, BB30 vs PF, different size heatube, diffent geometry. But do remember that the Canyon comes with an excellent carbon seatpost and Ritchey WCS C260 stem. I got the C'dale because of brand preference, looks and it has a straight TT, not cause its a better frameset.

Indeed, Tour does a lot of number jumbling to ensure German bikes always come out on top in their tests...

djconnel

by djconnel

I checked these links and sure enough, the CAAD was solid white, the heaviest color, while the Canyon is anodized, the lightest option.

aldocg

by aldocg

So no one has weighed the 2012 allez yet?

djconnel

by djconnel

2011: http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... -us-44544/

Though the frame is 100 percent aluminum, carbon fiber does make a guest appearance in the fork blades where it's most effective at drowning out road buzz. The rest of the tapered fork – the crown, steerer and tips – is alloy. The deep carbon blades and generously proportioned crown make for very precise front wheel placement but it's rather weighty at 590g.

Frame weight is good at 1,360g (3lb) for our bare 52cm test sample, but the weight of the fork means the frameset is several hundred grams heavier than Cannondale's similarly priced CAAD10. Even so, the Allez frame's long list of positive attributes makes it more than worthy of future upgrades as your skills develop and your budget allows.

helios

by helios

2012 Allez has the full carbon fork from the Tarmac.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

helios wrote:2012 Allez has the full carbon fork from the Tarmac.

yes, as a frameset, or on the EVO build. other builds have the heavy fork from last year still.

funhog1

by funhog1

I like the new Allez's. They Do Work.

even IF they come from Special-ed.

Yet... My 1,000,000,000 year old, archaic, un-aero, fkn wind anchor, obsolete, dated, long in the tooth, Gloss Black, BSA CAAD8 (paint included) is 1200 grams, Premium+ Fork is 330 grams.

size 54.

Same exact weight as my 55cm Raw, Hi-Brite Gloss BB30 Six13
Buy it. & Ride it.
Only if it has a high margin of utility.

Tenlegs

by Tenlegs

These are the weights I got for my 52 Canyon Al,
Frame inc. headset bearings (their pressed in), hanger, cable guide & adjusters 1308g
Fork uncut 322g
the Acros headset adjuster was 22g, so the frame with complete headset = 1330g

campbellrae

by campbellrae

Had a test ride on a CAAD 10 Dura Ace about a month ago, was realy impressed. Very stiff while being crzy light for an aluminium bike. Surprisingly comfortable as well with the seat staty part moulded into the top tube. Very aggresive geometry, ut then it is sold as an out and out race bike. I think in terms of pure performance with alloy, Cannondale is a step ahead of the rest these days given how massive a leap forward the CAAD 10 was from the 9.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com