Cannondale CAAD10 or Specialized Allez (Smartweld) ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Should I go CAAD10 or Allez E5 Smartweld frame

CAAD10
64%
Allez E5 Smartweld
36%

Total votes: 61

helios

by helios

Looking forward to my next project, moving my build from my carbon Tarmac to either a CAAD10 or new Allez frameset. Last years redesign of the Allez was a welcome change that only left me wanting BB30 and a lighter fork. Now Specialized has addressed exactly those two pieces for 2012. Through my personal relationship at a Specialized dealer and my team relationship at the Cannondale dealer I can get either frame at the same price. So, which should it be? :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djconnel

by djconnel

I think the CAADs are a level above any other Al frames out there other than small-time builders like Spooky. Even the Canyons are substantially heavier. Cannondale seems to be the only one which treats their top Al as an A-level product.

zsir

by zsir

The new allez frame set with tapered full carbon fork looks good. andf that's coming from a caad9 rider. anyone know the weight difference between the two....? I wanted to build a tarmac but the more prudent build for me would probably be the allez and a set of reynolds 32 ul tubulars

LittleSprinter

by LittleSprinter

I just bought an Allez with the tapered headtube/fork. I went with it because I'm also riding a Tarmac and pretty much building an identical bike with low grade components to use as a winter/commuter/crit bike. As always suggested, look at geometry and see which fits best. But both look to serve their purpose as a stiff/tough bike.

topflightpro

by topflightpro

The new Allez is pretty nice looking, and I believe it has the same geometry as the Tarmac, which would be a plus for you.

I have a Caad 9. It is ok. I truly preferred my 03 S-Works E5 aluminum Specialized to it though.

helios

by helios

I've compared the geo of the Allez and CAAD10 to the Tarmac I'm currently riding and according to the stack and reach numbers I'd need another ~15mm of spacers on the CAAD10 whereas the Allez has the same geo as my Tarmac.

Stiffness-wise, Specialized also claims the new Allez is torsionally as stiff as the S-Works SL3 which sounds excellent, I just try not to buy all the marketing speak. I'm also riding a '12 CruX in the E5 alloy with the S-Works carbon crank and, to me, it feels very stout. So I do think the Allez is likely just as stiff.

I weighed the CruX fork with the alloy steerer at 625g (uncut), I'll have to throw my Tarmac carbon fork on the scale to ballpark the weight savings.

XLR8R

by XLR8R

Have a look at the new 2012 Canyon AL ultimate and the Storck aluminium framesets. Great value for money, lightweight stiff and comfortable.

(FYI I have a caad10, realy like it, but the storck has more style, the canyon is cheaper and stiffer, both available with DI2 versions)

zsir

by zsir

helios wrote:I've compared the geo of the Allez and CAAD10 to the Tarmac I'm currently riding and according to the stack and reach numbers I'd need another ~15mm of spacers on the CAAD10 whereas the Allez has the same geo as my Tarmac.

Stiffness-wise, Specialized also claims the new Allez is torsionally as stiff as the S-Works SL3 which sounds excellent, I just try not to buy all the marketing speak. I'm also riding a '12 CruX in the E5 alloy with the S-Works carbon crank and, to me, it feels very stout. So I do think the Allez is likely just as stiff.

I weighed the CruX fork with the alloy steerer at 625g (uncut), I'll have to throw my Tarmac carbon fork on the scale to ballpark the weight savings.

So you found that the allez has a taller head tube than the caad? gin many spaces do you use on your tarmac? any idea how much the allez frame set weighs

spoke n words

by spoke n words

Ive been asking myself this same question. Allez or Caad. I like the cannondale more but the Allez might be easier to get.
I am curious which size you are looking at that the Caad would need more spacers?
I am very curious what the new Allez Evo frame weighs.

djconnel

by djconnel

XLR8R wrote:Have a look at the new 2012 Canyon AL ultimate

The Canyon is a lot heavier (super-stiff, though).

helios

by helios

I actually didn't pay attention to the head tube lengths; I just compared the stack and reach for the frames. In 56cm size the Allez has 15mm more stack than the CAAD10.

No idea what the Allez frameset weighs, I'm hoping to get my hands on one soon to find out though. My only indication that the weight is going to be respectable is based on my CruX frameset. I think Specialized has stepped up their aluminum game.

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

Allez Evo seems very interesting. Fork is much lighter than the previous one

lewdvig

by lewdvig

I would get the CAAD as well.

My current ride is Carbon. But I just don't like Specialized road bikes expect the SL3 and Venge.
Road: Guru Praemio, Colnago Master X Light, Scapin EOS5, Gios Compact Evo, Pinarello Gavia, Bottechia SLX, Bianchi Vittoria
Cross: Ritchey Swiss Cross
MTB: Rocky Mountain Instinct

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

helios wrote:I actually didn't pay attention to the head tube lengths; I just compared the stack and reach for the frames. In 56cm size the Allez has 15mm more stack than the CAAD10.

No idea what the Allez frameset weighs, I'm hoping to get my hands on one soon to find out though. My only indication that the weight is going to be respectable is based on my CruX frameset. I think Specialized has stepped up their aluminum game.

really? the crux frame 2012 in a 49 was just weighed at 1520. bare frame, no clamp, with hanger. seems slightly portly to me.

NGMN

by NGMN

djconnel wrote:
XLR8R wrote:Have a look at the new 2012 Canyon AL ultimate

The Canyon is a lot heavier (super-stiff, though).

Claimed weight of 1220 for 2012.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com