New Ciamillo GSL Micro

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

caadmium

by caadmium

Thanks. What do you normally use?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

I use all three models on several bikes, Gravitas SL, cL GSL's and Micro's and have Zipp Platinum Pro's (made for SRAM/Shimano) on one, ENVE (Shimano) pads on another and Campagnolo SR pads on the third. Only difference between them are the Shimano/SRAM have a groove for the screw, but there is no screw to be used on Ciamillo pads. I have also used Kool Stop, Ultegra/DuraAce and just ordered a set of SwissStop Black Prince.

What wheels are you using? That should determine what pad you should be using.
carbonLORD.com

Dov

by Dov

I wonder if Ted could make a brake with long drop?
Brooklyn Gangsta V4 with DXR
Cannondale CAAD 10 Track
Cielo Classic Sportif U8000
Cinelli Supercorsa DA9000
Colnago C64 R12
Concorde DA7800
DeRosa Nuovo Classico SR12
Eddy Mercks Corsa Extra Ch12
Felt F1 DA9050
Trek L500

Long time supporter of Rapha
Strava

caadmium

by caadmium

I'll be using these with Ksyrium SLs and Dura Ace 7900 C35 clinchers

FastforaSlowGuy

by FastforaSlowGuy

I think I've listened to this album before:
Track 1 - swelling orchestral announcement of awesome new product
Track 2 - a little light jazz as first adopters place orders and await delivery
Track 3 - elevator hold music as the wait grows from 2 weeks to 2 months
Track 4 - angry metal as people get in an uproar over entirely foreseeable customer service failings.

Frankly, I'd love to try these products but I don't think Ted has any business running a business. When every product launch is deeply marred by massive service failures, then you should learn that you're in the wrong space. Maybe I'm being harsh, but "I'm busy" is NEVER an appropriate excuse. I'll never buy this stuff because ordering, warranty etc is stupid poor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

I wanted to be clear on a few things here. Since I receive a lot of emails about the Micro.

First, you do realize the Micro is nothing more then a GSL with a new cam and drill holes in the arm right? If you swap between carbon and aluminum rims, you will still need to swap brake pads anyway. This cam only speeds up the process.

Second, you can purchase the micro cam alone and upgrade any existing 2013 Ciamillo GSL or Gravitas brake.

Third, the micro cam does not improve braking and is meant for use on bikes that swap out multiple rims. In other words, if you are not using multiple rim widths the micro cam is a useless feature and you would be better off with GSL's.

Fourth, I offer GSL's with the micro cam option for less then the "Micro" design itself.

People seem to believe the Micro is an entirely new brake. It's not. It is a GSL with drillium and an updated cam, that's it.

Just wanted to clear the air here and hope some of you will order a feature you actually need.

Oh, and order it from a distributor for the umpteenth time.

Cheers,

cL
carbonLORD.com

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

carbonLORD wrote:Oh, and order it from a distributor for the umpteenth time.
Oh, like say. carbonLORD? :roll:

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

Or Olive, or Iron Cycles or whoever is in your region, like I said the first time if you paid attention.

Or you can order directly from Ted, and see where that gets you.
carbonLORD.com

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Did wee cover spamming the boards in that other thread? :roll:

Edit: This post made sense before the post above it was shortened by the mods.
Last edited by HammerTime2 on Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:30 am, edited 3 times in total.

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

::EDIT: The mods deleted a few threads including where a member asked the differences between the brakes so my apologies for the confusion. My response to him is below::

I used to offer carbon parts through another vendor and kept to the all carbon, or all black look for nearly 20 years. When I stopped carrying that line I sought out vendors that might be interested in making a custom version of their product for me. This not only helped in knowing who was selling what but made my line more exclusive as one could mate a X part with cL branding here, and a X part with cL branding there. A carbonLORD package if you will.

When I first approached Ted it was to have a custom GSL made with my logo. At the time he offered stainless steel hardware, including the quick release lever and silver barrel adjuster.

I asked if it were possible to have anodized black alloy lever and adjuster to save some weight and set my "cL" product appart from the rest of the Ciamillo line up and he agreed.

Shortly after, Ted decided he liked the all black look and the reduced 3g aspects from stainless steel hardware and started offering his GSL with the same features.

As of now, the only difference between the GSL he offers and what I offer are the logo.

Fast forward to the Micro. This project was originally intended to look completely different, I have the original CAD drawings but cannot share them obviously. I imagine either the design was not the way he wanted it, or he is saving it for a revised Gravitas SL one day. Regardless what ended up coming to market was a modified GSL through way of updating the cam itself.

By adding the adjustability factor on the Micro Cam, it added a few grams of weight. To offset this Ted drilled out the holes on the caliper arm and kept the weight within the original spec, that 3g difference anyway.

The reality is that the micro cam itself can be fitted on any current generation GSL or Gravitas SL, if you need the functionality and swap between wide and narrow rims. All of the distributors sell the micro cam upgrade kit as a stand alone package as well.

Rather then take on the drilled out look which held no place for my logo, I instead decided to offer the same brake, with the new cam for those that require it.

Ted has made limited runs of the GSL before, the Red Devil, the TCR LTD blue for Giant TCR Advance SL and a few teams in between. We have had a solid, albeit rocky relationship over the last year primarily due to the crank issues which, like i said once ironed out I will carry the model again. I have Gravitas cranks with my logo on them as well, to match the brakes and package I offer.

To answer your question, aside of a logo and some drilled out holes they are the same product. You just have to decide if you like the drilled out look or the cL logo and while the Micro has a MSRP of $400-$450, I offer the cL GSL with Micro Cam for slightly less.

I also stock both black and all white models of the Mico in the event customers prefer them instead.

I was in the process of using other companies to make custom cL branded parts for me, which is why I am in Europe but have switched gears to a new project which I cannot really talk about just yet, but I will continue to support Ciamillo as long as he is interested in making custom branded items for me.

I agree Ted may not be the most business savvy individual but he is a downright good guy and a brilliant engineer. Myself as well as a lot of other vendors he works with want him to keep moving forward and our hopes are that once he is caught up on orders, crank revisions and the entire other project he works on, the Lunocet, things will be back to normal for everyone.

Ted has always supported my ideas, thus i support his brand, even on my cycling kit.

I'm not here to sell anything but when a person has questions on where to obtain these parts, they should be fully aware what it is they are buying and how accessible it is. That is why I suggest people look for the distributor in their area. Being that I live in Amsterdam and Chicago I obviously have a bit more reach then the French or other vendors but the real issue for many has been going direct which is why I continue to support the dealer network and that obviously includes me.

If anyone is interested in a Ciamillo product I'm sure they know how to reach us. If anyone is having difficulty reaching Ted, I have on many occasions gone to bat for them and facilitated a warranty or communication regardless if they were a customer of mine.

I trust everyone will get what they paid for in due time. Ted is not a thief and he is not running away with your money. All he asks is that you be patient with him through the growing pains.

Feel free to PM me if you want to talk business.

Cheers!

sabin:cL
carbonLORD.com

drainyoo

by drainyoo

To get back on topic, for those who are running these, how do you like them? Good braking power and modulation? Easy to install? I still might get these if they perform, despite the customer service issues.

NoiseBoy

by NoiseBoy

carbonLORD wrote:
caadmium wrote:I've received my micros and they look great. Now I just have to fit them but I have no experience of Campag brake pads. All my other calipers are Shimano. When I look online I see pads for pre 2000, post 2000 and SR2011. Can anyone advise on which type I should be buying? e.g. in a Koolstop pad, which type fits Ciamillo? thanks

They just slide in. Doesn't matter if they are pre/post or Shimano pads, they all fit the alloy pad holders so don't stress it.

Do you think its safe to run Shimano pads in the Ciamillo holders? (Negative G in my case). They seem to fit OK, just need to press quite hard to slide them in.

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

NoiseBoy wrote:
carbonLORD wrote:
caadmium wrote:I've received my micros and they look great. Now I just have to fit them but I have no experience of Campag brake pads. All my other calipers are Shimano. When I look online I see pads for pre 2000, post 2000 and SR2011. Can anyone advise on which type I should be buying? e.g. in a Koolstop pad, which type fits Ciamillo? thanks

They just slide in. Doesn't matter if they are pre/post or Shimano pads, they all fit the alloy pad holders so don't stress it.

Do you think its safe to run Shimano pads in the Ciamillo holders? (Negative G in my case). They seem to fit OK, just need to press quite hard to slide them in.

It's safe. I do without any issues, no squealing etc. I have about 1,500 miles on my cL GSL's with ENVE (Shimano/SRAM) pads and 1,000 miles on my Gravitas SL (same pad holders) with Zipp Platinum Pro (SRAM/Shimano).
carbonLORD.com

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

drainyoo wrote:To get back on topic, for those who are running these, how do you like them? Good braking power and modulation? Easy to install? I still might get these if they perform, despite the customer service issues.

Good braking. DuraAce level? No, but the main feature of this product is low weight and adjustability. Modulation is fine but I'm a flat lander. I run them with both Shimano and Campy systems though the return spring on my Ultegra Di2 levers are better then the Super Record mechanical levers which have less return rate (the spring back at the lever).

When Ted updated the spring from a silver steel one to a heat treated one there was a major improvement. He also started using coper paste on the GSL and Micros which helped alleviate any binding from previous calipers.

They are easy to set up, if you follow the instructions. Same as before, proper housing length helps as with any center pivot design. I've had little issues on the combined 2500 miles I've used my brakes, as far as them going out of spec.

Again, I am around 95 kilo's these days and ride with a team often. I race crits on these and have not had an issue stopping when I needed to (avoid a crash, dodge a car etc.) If I were a mountain cyclist, well, I would probably consider disc but thats an entirely different thread in itself.

HTH
carbonLORD.com