Lightweights running tubeless?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jsjenkins

by jsjenkins

Has anyone had experiences with Lightweight clinchers running tubeless tires? The general consensus seems to be its fine to do so, and wouldn't need any special prep work given the lack of spoke holes. But I haven't been able to find any accounts of someone actually doing this.

I currently have Lightweight Gen III tubulars but might try to trade for a set of clinchers. Overall weight would be higher but I've just had such good experiences with my other clinchers I've converted to tubeless I myself have become a bit of a convert.

boolinwall

by boolinwall

From what I've read, and I'll admit I have zero first hand knowledge, the clincher bead on the lightweights is somewhat flimsy. They don't recommend high PSI clinchers. Now I get that tubeless tires don't require high PSI, but would they not just blow off of a flexy sidewalled rim?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jsjenkins

by jsjenkins

Good point, it looks like the Gen III clinchers have a max tire pressure of 116psi. In my experience tubeless tires need a *perfect* tire bead to rim contact so flex would an issue. Although I've found a tiny amount of 3M Fast Tack adhesive around the bead (allowed to set for 24hrs) works wonders.