Bikehubstore SL211 and 11 speed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

I'm considering switching from 10 speed Campag to 11 speed Shimano. One of my wheelsets has the BHS SL211 rear hub. I emailed Brandon at BHS and he said the SL210 11 speed freehub should work but he offers no guarantees.

Can anyone confirm this? And does anyone know of a more local source for the freehub? I gather the hub is probably the Bitex Rar13 but I'm not aware of anyone round here stocking Bitex parts.

Cheers!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

I had an issue just recently with a BHS SL210 rear hub in Campy splining.

I switched my 11-spd campy cassette over from an old Mavic Ksyrium wheel where it had been working fine, and put it on to the BHS hub on the Pacenti wheel I'd just finished building. Put it on the bike on the stand and immediately had an "oh shit" moment as the wheel locked up and refused to move.

A brief inspection showed the lockring jammed against the dropout.

That led me to checking the 11-spd lockring against a 10-spd one. The 11-spd turns out to be about 1.5mm thicker. Replaced with a 10-spd lockring, and presto - everything normal.

So, I'd suggest doing a careful overall measurement of the 2 cassettes including lockrings as the BHS hubs appear to be on the tight end of tolerances. And this is where 1mm makes all the difference.

I wrote to BHS right away but never heard back.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

I'm talking about 11 speed Shimano though, so slightly different issue.

I'm surprised you didn't hear back from BHS. When I emailed Brandon a couple of days ago he replied in less than 5 minutes!

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

MajorMantra wrote:I'm talking about 11 speed Shimano though, so slightly different issue.

I'm surprised you didn't hear back from BHS. When I emailed Brandon a couple of days ago he replied in less than 5 minutes!

Not really. The spindles are the same, only the freehub changes. So unless a shimano 11-spd cassette is narrower overall than a campy 11-spd (which I don't believe it is), then there's a potential problem.

One.

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

Ah, I see what you mean. Without knowing exactly how the freehub/cassette/lockring will interface I'm not sure I'll be able to predict the outcome though.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

What little I know about Shimano 11-speed is from reading.

When it was introduced, it required a specific 11-spd freehub that is a couple of mm longer than the 10-spd. An 11-spd shimano cassette will NOT work on a 10-spd freehub. I seem to recall that shimano made the spindle a couple of mm longer at the same time to something like 132mm instead of 130mm (just going from memory here).

All this is a long way of saying that BHS should know all this, and be able to give you a definite answer.

Since you are already Campy, and they don't have the issues that Shimano has, since an 11-spd cassette works on the older freehubs, why not just use a 11-spd Campy cassette with your new 11-spd Shimano system? The cassettes have the same spacing and are fully compatible according to those who have done it. You probably will have to use the 10-spd lockring like I did, but otherwise this is a far simpler solution.

One.

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

I might do that as a stop-gap solution but if I'm spending £££ on a new groupset (seriously considering 9000) I want it to work perfectly, not just acceptably. The spacing is very close, but it's not the same AFAIK.

There's no question that a Bitex type 11 speed Shimano freehub exists and if you have the current SL210 it's an option. There's just the lingering doubt about unforseen compatibility issues with the SL211. I don't blame Brandon for not committing on this - the SL211 is a clearance item and he'd be sticking his neck out if he gave a definitive "yes" to it being ok.

Wookieopolis

by Wookieopolis

I have an SL211 hub and a SL210 11 speed hub. I'll try swapping the 11 speed freehub onto the SL211 and let you know if it works.

For what it is worth, a 10 speed cassette with 2mm of spacers behind it on the 11 speed freehub works fine and clears the drop out no problem.

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

Thanks!

Wookieopolis

by Wookieopolis

The SL210 11 speed freehub does fit on the SL211 hub just fine. With a 10 speed cassette mounted to the 11 speed freehub with 2mm of spacers behind it it clears the dropout exactly the same as it does on the SL210 hub.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Looks like my problem with Campy 11-spd was specific to Campy.

Otherwise I'd like to say that the service, packing, shipping etc was excellent from BHS and I'm very happy with the Pacenti wheels that I was able to build.

One.

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

Thanks Wookieopolis! This bike is looking promising.

eric

by eric

Wookieopolis wrote:The SL210 11 speed freehub does fit on the SL211 hub just fine. With a 10 speed cassette mounted to the 11 speed freehub with 2mm of spacers behind it it clears the dropout exactly the same as it does on the SL210 hub.

Cool. Thanks for trying it and reporting back.

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

Just to back up what was posted above, I can confirm that that the SL210 freehub works perfectly on the SL211. Now to see if my DA cassette explodes. :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

MajorMantra wrote:Just to back up what was posted above, I can confirm that that the SL210 freehub works perfectly on the SL211. Now to see if my DA cassette explodes. :)

Just don't pedal too hard :D

One.