Frame size, new bike fitting, questions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

fa63

by fa63

Just trying to prevent a potentially costly mistake :D

Tell your club mates you have got a pro fit that everyone strives for: long stem, slammed, lots of seatpost :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JKFF

by JKFF

fa63 wrote:Just trying to prevent a potentially costly mistake :D

Tell your club mates you have got a pro fit that everyone strives for: long stem, slammed, lots of seatpost :)

I don't know how having the wrong size frame makes the bike pro, but that's alright with me. :mrgreen: Thanks everyone! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fa63

by fa63

Pros commonly use a size smaller than convention would dictate to achieve the saddle-to-bar drop they prefer (especially with the recent trend towards taller headtubes). So yes, having the wrong size frame makes the bike pro :D

niklasp

by niklasp

Bought a caad12 at good price from a friend without trying the size, but the size guide says that Im right in the middle of "58" with 184cm in height and 89 in leg length. Cant be wrong right? 56 is from 178 to 182cm and 58 from 182 to 188. My be a matter of what fints you best I guess...

fa63

by fa63

58 should be fine.

niklasp

by niklasp

fa63 wrote:58 should be fine.

Thanks. Was a bit worried the bike would be a tad too big. The important is that I can stretch out on the bike.
Maybe it will be a budget weenie. :)

Zhiming

by Zhiming

Trying to see which bike geometry suits me for my next purchase. Did a comparison table as below, any comments? For now it looks like the Ridley, Pinarello and Canyon suits me best.

My basic dimensions are Height: 169cm , Inseam: 78cm, Sternum: 140cm, Weight 64kg. Quite similar to Nairo Quintana :wink:

New Bike Geo.jpg

banik69

by banik69

One question, for Scott foil 2016 frame I am little confused.

184 cm height
88 inseam
77 saddle set from bob

M54 or L56 ?

fa63

by fa63

Those are very close to my measurements. I can't imagine riding a M54; would be too small. I would go with size L.

banik69

by banik69

fa63 wrote:Those are very close to my measurements. I can't imagine riding a M54; would be too small. I would go with size L.

Mmmmmm always with 120cm stem...
But I thing 56 is better

raina

by raina

I try to wrap my head around the measurements of canyon. Im looking for a Ultimate CF SLX and I am not sure if M (56) or L (58)?

Size: 185 cm
Inseam: 86 cm

Currently I ride a Cube Agree GTC in 58, which suits me quite fine. But comparing the geometry charts left me a bit puzzled which size I should choose.

I am looking for a more aggressive fit, so would L be too large or M too small? :noidea:

thx
Attachments
cube.jpg
canyon.jpg

fa63

by fa63

If you want a more aggressive fit, then go with size M Canyon. The stack and reach for size M are quite similar to your current Cube. You could remove some or all of the spacers to get your handlebar lower. The size L Canyon is much taller in the front than your Cube, so you may not be able to get your handlebar as low as you want. Size L Canyon also has more reach, so you would have to run a shorter stem (unless you want to be more stretched out).

raina

by raina

thank you. My gut said M too, maybe I have to switch for a longer stem but that should be no problem.

Shrike

by Shrike

Slightly unusual fit question, and may be completely stupid.

If a fit feels comfortable for hours on the bike on the direct drive trainer, should that fit translate to being comfortable on the road?

icenutter

by icenutter

I find that the turbo makes any bike fit issues worse, as you tend to sit in one position. So if it works on the trainer, then it should be good on the road. In my experience, of course.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com