Hongfu FM-066/Chinese open mould frame thread

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Kaboom

by Kaboom

It's finally done! well it was done this saturday, I've already taken it for a quick spin and all

From this

To this

Final weight is 6.1kg, so it's fat. I weighed on bathroom scale, I gotta get sth a little more precise.

Main porkers are the wheels, seatpost and pedals.

Absolutely LOVED the ride and the experience when compared to my very-well-used CAA9. It feels very different and I do miss the "liveliness" of the alu, but this was an eye-opener, like going from a beat-up 20 year old car to a brand new BMW. The stiffness of the front end, the silence, the greatly diminished road buzz... I actually enjoyed riding a short stretch of cobbles for the first time ever!

Could only do 24k though, I'm DYING to take it for a metric century as soon as possible and really shake it down.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kidrob

by kidrob

This is awesome! She looks great! 6.1kg is also pretty good for the money spent I guess :)

Love the champagne tops at the ends of the handlebars btw, nice gimmick :beerchug:

Kaboom

by Kaboom

Doesn't look bad at all huh?
The weight is definately low when looking at the price paid, but I was really hoping for Sub-6. Oh well. I have a significantly lighter set of tubie wheels that have a knackered rear axle, I'll get that fixed and onto the bike. Lighter wheels and seatpost and I should be comfortably under 6.

The champagne tops I saw on a pic of a hipster's fixie somewhere. I thought it looked cool but i'm not sure if they'll be staying. They will for the moment though.
I also have to shorten one of the cable outers, the one running from the bars where it enters the frame on the left.

there are a couple of things to sort out but for the moment I just wanna RIDE THE THING! damn weather and damn late dawns...

kidrob

by kidrob

Kaboom wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:09 pm
The champagne tops I saw on a pic of a hipster's fixie somewhere. I thought it looked cool but i'm not sure if they'll be staying.
Yeah, I was actually wondering if these could cut gloves or are somehow uncomfortable.
Kaboom wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:09 pm
there are a couple of things to sort out but for the moment I just wanna RIDE THE THING! damn weather and damn late dawns...
Tell me about it :| My bike is finished since last year and standing in my living room while I couldn't really ride it at all so far due to weather and work :cry:

weeni
in the industry

by weeni

web: www.xmcarbonspeed.com
Email: bellajian@foxmail.com

Hennesy

by Hennesy

Someone with FM008 ?

kidrob

by kidrob

Hennesy wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:32 am
Someone with FM008 ?
See the link in my signature

Hennesy

by Hennesy

kidrob wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:23 am
Hennesy wrote:
Someone with FM008 ?
Can u give me some feedback about seat clamp ? Is good or not ?

kidrob

by kidrob

Hennesy wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:58 am
kidrob wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:23 am
Hennesy wrote:
Someone with FM008 ?
Can u give me some feedback about seat clamp ? Is good or not ?
It's an absolute PITA to install as one of the two parts always fall down the seat tube as soon as you remove the seat post and not super take care. One of my biggest nightmares is that one part would ever be stuck.
As discussed in one of the previous pages in this thread, in certain circumstances the seat post can be slippy, too. My bolt deff needs more than 5nm and I am not sure if this is a good thing.

grymg

by grymg

Like kidrob said the seatpost is diffcult to insert because the wedge wants to fall in the way. I have to flip the frame upside down to insert the post. I tightened mine a little past 5Nm and haven't had any issues since. The aero profile looks great.

Slack

by Slack

Has anyone seen anything similar to the 3T Strada yet? 1X road disc bike.

DartanianX

by DartanianX

Yes - waiting to see this too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

Liked the geometry and cable routing so I pulled the trigger on this Canyon Ultimate copy which the seller advised will ship after the Chinese New Year.

Communication has been great so far; frame seems identical to Velobuild's VB-R-066 down to the geometry chart, so I'm basically paying a premium of $40 for a glossy paint finish.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/OG-CF02 ... 0.0.DiWky9

Now I have a reason to look forward to March. :)

Oh, and Canyon USA, if you sold your own version of this frameset here for roughly the same 1200 Euro price you're selling it for in the Old World, I would have bought it from you.

Hennesy

by Hennesy

Thanks for the answers, there are others negative things in this frame ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

grymg

by grymg

Hennesy wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:43 pm
Thanks for the answers, there are others negative things in this frame ?
The RD hanger is kind of short so you need to remove the skewer in order to install the rear wheel. If you don't dismantle your bike often then this isn't a big deal.
The rear brake entry to the top tube is on the right, should have been on the left.
I found some extra metal flashing on my BB threads, I cut them out with an xacto knife before threading in my BB.

Other than that I have about 250 miles on it, climbing, sprinting, potholes, descending, etc. and the frame works well.