Hongfu FM-066/Chinese open mould frame thread

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ooo

by ooo

Hexsense wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:46 pm
ooo wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:13 pm
Yishun LCR093-D - new road disc frame with RC 405, flatmount 12x100 fork with internal routing
Max 700x25C Tire cleance ... BOO! Better buy Yoeleo R6 Disc which has 28c tire clearance.
https://www.yoeleobike.com/carbon-r6-di ... meset.html
PS. interesting that Yoeleo R6 rimbrake version is not exactly the same design (even different geometry) and doesn't specify max tire clearance.
https://www.yoeleobike.com/r6-aero-road-frameset.html
25c may be inaccurate value
geometry pic have QR instead of TA
yishunbike have the same frame lcr006-d as Yoeleo R6
'

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

megl wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:29 am
Marin wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:04 am
What's the reason for discs if you can't even fit wide tires?
Better braking?
Ah, of course.

ande

by ande

I have found the Fm008 frame after some research and I am about to order it.

I'm just not quite sure about the BB yet. I am currently using a p2max on a 3d+ rotor. Summerbike with PF30 und winter bike (Caad5) with adapter shell. Now the consideration is either to go for a Pf30 or a BSA with adapter. All for the background of the press fit problems with creacking and loosen cups.

What are your experiences and recommendations here? Is the pf30 bearing seat reliable? Is, alternatively, the BSA alu sleeve neatly installed in the frame?

thankx

GONE4ARIDE

by GONE4ARIDE

kidrob wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:55 am
GONE4ARIDE wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:06 am
grymg wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:59 am
I finally finished my FM008 with the component colors I envisioned. I even stripped my Zipp 404 decals off to complete the matte red/black look. So far it rides great. My only two problems were that 1) the rear hanger is short, so difficult to install/remove the rear wheel w/o having to remove the skewer entirely and 2) the seatpost keeps wanting to fall while riding over potholes, need to overtorque the bolt (and risk damaging the frame?).
Looks great! I have logged over 5,000 miles on my FM008 and have not had any issues with seatpost slippage. If you haven't done so already, try using some Tacx carbon paste or the like.
Out of curiosity: How much torque do you guys give the bolt?

I have also noticed some slipping and had to go higher than 5 and even 6nm and absolutely not sure about this...
I built it up back in May but believe I torqued it to 5 nm. For point of reference, I weigh ~ 69kg.

kidrob

by kidrob

ande wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:14 pm
the BSA alu sleeve neatly installed in the frame?
Comes perfect (can only speak for BSA). I just had to drill the Shimano BB in and was done.
You could check https://youtu.be/zryhuHkbb-o to learn how good they are...

ande

by ande

kidrob wrote:
ande wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:14 pm
the BSA alu sleeve neatly installed in the frame?
Comes perfect (can only speak for BSA). I just had to drill the Shimano BB in and was done.
You could check https://youtu.be/zryhuHkbb-o to learn how good they are...
Ok.

According to Tantan there only will be BSA in the future for the Fm008. "PF30 no production. Now only have BSA"

Kaboom

by Kaboom

I ended up ordering a VeloBuild VB-R-077, so the same as a Long Teng LTK118.
I'm gonna build it up with Bora 35 tubies(1240g)/24mm chinese rim tubies (1050g), full Red 10, full carbon saddle, and hopefully schmolke bars and extralite stem. Even with the heavy Vector 2 pedals I'm hoping for significantly sub-6kg.
With the 1050g tubies and a pair of tuned Speedplays I have laying around I'm confident I could get this to around 5.6
I'll build it full matte black with neon green tape, saddle, cables and cages.

total build will be a smidge below 2000€ including the boras. I'm really excited, can't wait for the parts to arrive.

Will post pics and report when It's all here and the bike is built up.

kidrob

by kidrob

Kaboom wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:41 pm
I'm gonna build it up with Bora 35 tubies(1240g)/24mm chinese rim tubies (1050g), full Red 10, full carbon saddle, and hopefully schmolke bars and extralite stem. Even with the heavy Vector 2 pedals I'm hoping for significantly sub-6kg.
With the 1050g tubies and a pair of tuned Speedplays I have laying around I'm confident I could get this to around 5.6

total build will be a smidge below 2000€ including the boras. I'm really excited, can't wait for the parts to arrive.

Oh yes! This sounds great and I am sure it be a great ride!
The price-performance ratio of these frames is simply unbelievable good.

keaton

by keaton

Suggestions for a very small frame?

GF is 5ft. Currently has an older cannonade synapse 44cm that fits well, but would like to upgrade her, and was thinking about going down this path.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Workswell 081, one of the best design Workswell ever released.
It has size 44, 46, 49, ...
Not only that, they don't afraid to use more radical geometry like very slack head tube angle to reduce toe overlap which is a problem for 700c small frame size. Slack head tube may cause the bike to be too stable and slow handling in sharp corner and quick change of line so they compensate (up to an extent but no fully make it fast handler) by reduce chain stay length to very short 395mm. So rear wheel will tuck closer to the seat tube. Yet their rear cut out (at least on my version) is very effective in leaving room for big tire. i have direct mount rim brake version size 49 and i can use Vittoria Corsa G+28c on very wide rim (21mm internal width,28mm external) easily.

Disc brake version:
http://www.workswellbikes.com/PRODDUCT/ ... 116/6.html
Direct mount rim brake version:
http://www.workswellbikes.com/PRODDUCT/ ... 6/127.html
Regular rim brake version
http://www.workswellbikes.com/PRODDUCT/ ... 6/126.html

picture make rear tire look closer to the frame than it actually is, it is a concave channel follow tire's shape so the side flare make it look very close to top of the tire in side view.
20024042_10154805508507061_1759768164993166858_o.jpg

twostroke

by twostroke

Kaboom wrote:

I love this frame. Between the 5 bikes I have (2 Fuji SL 1.1, 1 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX, 1 Reilly 600SL and of course the LTK118) this is my go to choice.
Almost 12.000km in less than two years, one haute route Dolomites and it's still perfect. Definitely worth the price, nothing to regret compared to more expensive framesets

Kaboom

by Kaboom

twostroke wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:46 pm
Kaboom wrote:

I love this frame. Between the 5 bikes I have (2 Fuji SL 1.1, 1 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX, 1 Reilly 600SL and of course the LTK118) this is my go to choice.
Almost 12.000km in less than two years, one haute route Dolomites and it's still perfect. Definitely worth the price, nothing to regret compared to more expensive framesets
This is great to hear! I was a little concerned about the reliability of the frame, probably like everyone else who hasn't owned an open mold frame before... But hearing it's done 12000km and a Haute Route definately eases my concerns. All your bikes are awesome! And some of them markedly lighter than the LTK. What makes it your favorite?

I was actually REAAAALLY close to pulling the trigger on a Fuji SL myself, but in the end I decided to give the LTK a shot.

It's been in transit for 11 days now, I'm starting to get restless. Can't wait for the frame to arrive. At least its in Spain already.

keaton

by keaton

Hexsense wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:34 pm
Workswell 081, one of the best design Workswell ever released.
It has size 44, 46, 49, ...
Not only that, they don't afraid to use more radical geometry like very slack head tube angle to reduce toe overlap which is a problem for 700c small frame size. Slack head tube may cause the bike to be too stable and slow handling in sharp corner and quick change of line so they compensate (up to an extent but no fully make it fast handler) by reduce chain stay length to very short 395mm. So rear wheel will tuck closer to the seat tube. Yet their rear cut out (at least on my version) is very effective in leaving room for big tire. i have direct mount rim brake version size 49 and i can use Vittoria Corsa G+28c on very wide rim (21mm internal width,28mm external) easily.

Disc brake version:
http://www.workswellbikes.com/PRODDUCT/ ... 116/6.html
Direct mount rim brake version:
http://www.workswellbikes.com/PRODDUCT/ ... 6/127.html
Regular rim brake version
http://www.workswellbikes.com/PRODDUCT/ ... 6/126.html

picture make rear tire look closer to the frame than it actually is, it is a concave channel follow tire's shape so the side flare make it look very close to top of the tire in side view.
20024042_10154805508507061_1759768164993166858_o.jpg
Thank you for this and the great insight!!!

waltthizzney

by waltthizzney

some history on Workwell if anyone was curious

also liking this new frame

http://www.workswellbikes.com/PRODDUCT/ ... 5/176.html

Kaboom

by Kaboom

frame finally arrived. So far, pretty impressed with the finish, how clean the tubes are inside and the fact that the frame weight is bang-on and the fork is a full 30g lighter than promised. The included seatpost is somewhat of an anchor at 200g, as is the expander plug that comes with the headset.

Most of the components should arrive this week so hopefully I'll be riding the thing next weekend. The secondhand bora 35 tubies I bought for this build are already here.

I'm building this with red22 with ultegra cassette (100g weight penalty, but 250€ for a cassette is WAY too steep for my tastes), SISL2 cranks with 36-52 Praxis rings, schmolke bar and extralite stem, front DA9000 brake and rear Zero Gravity. I'm hoping it'll come right under 6kg because otherwise I'm not sure where i'm gonna save weight without spending several thousand more. Original budget was 2000€ and I just blew past that buying the ultegra cassette and Red chain...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com